Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Stereo With Overhead light??

Ok, so I installed a new head unit. The original 1979 8track just didn't want't to entertain anylonger. To keep the original Control panel look, I simply disconnected the original head unit, left it in place and built a box in the upper cabinet beside to the right of the control panel. I used the 12v supply and ground from original unit as well as the antenna. (Normal, simple, routine swap out). I even bragged about how simple the installation was. After enjoying the music, I shut everything down and called it a night. Went in the next "day" and it would not work. Circuit testing proved I "DID" have 12v to the radio and a "GOOD" ground, but would not come on. Did not make any sense. I checked fuses, grounds, but for some reason, everything checked out "GOOD". Not thinking anything of it, I turned on a ceiling light for more light. Low and behold, the stereo came on. Turn the light off, and the stereo would go off. Thinking maybe I need a different +, reconfigured the wiring to a different + and it would only work with a different light. AMAZING. I am trying to avoid pulling a fresh new + and - direct from the battery with a new hole in the floor. Anyone come accross this sort of CONFUSION? I am about ready to, well, might just call for a COLD BEER and PEACE AND QUIET? LOL Let me know. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1663.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	130154  
Eliminator46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I believe some switches use interrupted "grounds" and others use interrupted "power" to operate. Check where you tapped into your wiring...it might be the cause.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I believe some switches use interrupted "grounds" and others use interrupted "power" to operate. Check where you tapped into your wiring...it might be the cause.

I had originally connected to the original 12v radio (blue with inline fuse) by disconnecting the 8track assuming this would provide 12v continuous. The 8track barely worked and had an obnoxious HUM to it. I am considering running an independent +/- to the battery to eliminate the possibility of said switches.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Not sure what affect the light switch is having. I would check the old 12 volt radio wire by grounding a 12 volt test light to the skin or other ground point other than the wire to old unit. A test meter is ok, but does not load the circuit any.
Switches changing things other than what they appear to be connected to usually means a ground issue.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Not sure what affect the light switch is having. I would check the old 12 volt radio wire by grounding a 12 volt test light to the skin or other ground point other than the wire to old unit. A test meter is ok, but does not load the circuit any.
Switches changing things other than what they appear to be connected to usually means a ground issue.
I figured it has to be a grounding issue. I have been using a test light and tested with light grounded to skin, and I have power to stereo with the OVHD light on or off. I even proved the ground to the stereo is good by connecting light ground to stereo ground and touching test light to any other + and it lights up. Having power to the stereo didn't matter, the stereo would only come on when an OVHD light is on. I know it sounds crazy and makes no sense. I have more than average knowledge of this application and have installed numerous stereos in cars, and ATV's, just not in this application.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Does switching the overhead light affect the test lamp?

Does the head require a second switched 12+ source?

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Does switching the overhead light affect the test lamp?

Does the head require a second switched 12+ source?
The head has 3 hot leads. One for battery, one for dimmer/illumination, and one for accessory. I am running the batt and d/i. Using a test light and operating OVHD light has no affect on test light. It stays lit with OVHD on or off. I wired the head all different configurations including with the accessory.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
I must include, for some reason, with the OVHD on, stereo off,,,, the OVHD get's brighter when I turn the stereo on. Crazy, explain that one. LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Just a little update. I decided to eliminate the trailer in all. Ran a + and - directly to the battery to make sure the radio was working right. It ran perfect like that. I decided to fish them down the interior wall, through the floor at the front access panel, out the rubber gromet and to the battery. Connected with all other trailer wires and it is running fine now. not sure why this bugger didn't want to run through the interior bus, but something somewhere must not JIVE with the stereo. It's perfectly functional now with wisper quiet operation even on AM. Got the trailer Hooked up and about to go for another weekend short outing. If all survives this, then it's time to plan a longer journey. Have a great weekend folks. By the way, I did run a Sattelite coax at the same time for my sat connection.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congratulations on getting your radio working the way you wanted it to.

As for the 8-track, the HUM is probably caused by bad capacitors in the filter stage for the power supply, and if they are shot, probably most of the other caps are, too. They dry out with age (don't we all!). It's not a big deal to replace them should you decide to want to get it going again.

The fact that it played a bit is a Good Thing, it shows that most of the circuitry is operational.

All that to say that it makes sense to keep the 8-track head, rather than toss it. You might come across a wild-eyed collector of that kind of equipment.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Congratulations on getting your radio working the way you wanted it to.

As for the 8-track, the HUM is probably caused by bad capacitors in the filter stage for the power supply, and if they are shot, probably most of the other caps are, too. They dry out with age (don't we all!). It's not a big deal to replace them should you decide to want to get it going again.

The fact that it played a bit is a Good Thing, it shows that most of the circuitry is operational.

All that to say that it makes sense to keep the 8-track head, rather than toss it. You might come across a wild-eyed collector of that kind of equipment.
Thanks Aage, I would like to keep as much originality as possible. The trailer came stocked with about 20 8trk tapes, tons of silverware, pocket warmers, and pots n pans. So far I have had to change out minimal anything to get it road ready. Have a great weekend. She is all set up and trying to relax for a great weekend out.