Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Starting From Scratch AV

Contemplating the AV wiring for our '69 Sovereign. All of the skins are off and now would be a really good time to think of everything! I've been reading through the threads, but clearly lack the technical skill to sort through the options on the forums or in my head. Rather than mimic the set up in our '07 Safari 27FB (bird's nest of wires and humm issues), thought we would attempt a better design from scratch.

The wish list is:

1) a CD/DVD player for a 110V Samsung mounted mid cabin that can swivel for bedroom viewing or living viewing.

2) Surround sound in two speakers over the twin beds and two in the living room over the couch. We'd like to rely on an IPOD or IPHONE connection to play music throughout.

3) Satellite / Cable connections -- We currently have a traditional bat wing with a single connector built into the wall.

4) Wireless speaker for outside (similar to 27FB)

5) Satellite Radio for local weather info, etc.

Okay, so maybe we should scale back?

For now, we're thinking about running everything on 110V -- we don't Boondock much, but if we do, we plan on using our ipads, laptops and ipods with mini speakers when not connected to shore power.

What components would you consider? Anything unique for Airstreams, dust, vibration, etc.? We're handy, but not AV experts. Any suggestions you might offer would be greatly appreciated
stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I'm mid-shopping list on the same project...Here is my list:
Monster AV cable
LED tv with HDMI out and monitor in
Alpine ida100 (plays ipod natively with high speed cable or via bluetooth. Does not have a CD tray, so I may rethink
Alpine speakers throughout...$80 for 5.5 inchers and they sound phoenominal.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Monster cables are grossly overpriced, you can save hundreds by using any of the quality alternatives. Their speaker wire is good though, and wasn't too much more than others last time I setup a system.

Curious to see other responses regarding dust/vibration considerations when selecting a TV.
hirsch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsch22
Monster cables are grossly overpriced, you can save hundreds by using any of the quality alternatives. Their speaker wire is good though, and wasn't too much more than others last time I setup a system.

Curious to see other responses regarding dust/vibration considerations when selecting a TV.
Dust and vibration seem moot these days. Everything is electronic, and shielded. Heck, if my deck in my truck can keep the ipod music streaming and the gps screen flicker free at 90mph on a desert two track, i'd have to say most stuff is worry free these days.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
I know this thread is for A/V from scratch but I've got two quick ones for the group.

1) suggestions for up'ing the size of the standard LCD Tv in an 05' CCD

2) Can the wiring in a stream be changed without pulling skin off?
Kestrell is offline   Reply With Quote