Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Speaker Power

I just bought a little 12 volt television to use in my '62 Tradewind. Being a little TV, it has little speakers, and therefore little volume. So I was thinking about attaching some little computer speakers to the TV through the headphone jack and placing them back where we will sit when watching TV.

Now, the speakers that I have require a power input. Currently they plug into the wall with a transformer that has an output of 7.5 volts DC. My Airstream has the old style electrical system. The 12 volt DC, and 120 volt AC are completely separate systems with no converter or inverter. I was thinking about cutting the transformer off of the speakers and powering them with the 12 volt system since we are rarely attached to shore power.

So, does anyone know if I am likely to ruin the speakers by running them off of the 12 volt system as opposed to the current 7.5 volts that they now use? Of course the 12 volt system will vary depending on the charge state of the battery, which might cause more problems.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Speaker Power

If I had to guess, I'd say yes... You can find the little cigarette lighter plug adapters that will convert the12 volt to something more useable... I wouldn't think 7-8 volts wouldn't be a problem. Or, buy a small inverter and go that route.

-Red

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My sound bar is powered thru a USB. I plug it into the television.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Don't you love technology?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Thanks. Yes, I do love technology (he says sarcasticly). These are cheap speakers that I have. They don't have a USB plug, just a DC plug and an audio input. If the ones I have won't work, getting USB speakers might be the best option.

Since I only have one 12 volt battery on the camper, I try to use my power as efficiently as possible. It would seem rather inefficient to convert 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC in order to convert it back down to a lower DC voltage again through an inverter. But that certainly would be an option to keep in mind.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The speakers contain a small amplifier and you will burn that out by putting nearly double the voltage into it. It may work for a while but will burn out quickly. The amplifier is contained in the speaker with the 'input' plug and volume control. It sits between the input jack and the speakers.

I suggest you get an adapter that will drop the 12vdc down to 7.5vdc or get a USB powered speaker set.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
The speakers contain a small amplifier and you will burn that out by putting nearly double the voltage into it. It may work for a while but will burn out quickly. The amplifier is contained in the speaker with the 'input' plug and volume control. It sits between the input jack and the speakers.

I suggest you get an adapter that will drop the 12vdc down to 7.5vdc or get a USB powered speaker set.
Thanks Rich. That's what I needed to know.