Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Speaker grille removal in 2000 Excella

Once again, does anyone know how to remove the rear bedroom speaker grilles in a 2000 Excella? This very simple task appears a bit elusive and I don't want to damage the grille by doing it wrong. I need to check the speaker for a loose wire or other problems as it is not working.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Once again, does anyone know how to remove the rear bedroom speaker grilles in a 2000 Excella? This very simple task appears a bit elusive and I don't want to damage the grille by doing it wrong. I need to check the speaker for a loose wire or other problems as it is not working.
If they're like those on my '94, they are just a friction fit round mesh grille that are pressed into the plastic speaker mount. It should come right off with just a little coaxing. I have one that I frequently find on the bed 'cause it doesn't want to stay on going down the road!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Speaker Grille

Thanks Roger:

I cast care to the wind and by closely examining the speaker I determined that the removal of the mesh was in order. That done, I then removed the speaker to check the connections. All appears well - but there is no sound. What I need to know now is how to check the wiring up to the speaker but I need help to figure out how to do this. I have a small multi-tester but I don't really know what I'm looking for as to whether or not the wiring is good at the speaker. I'm going to post a new thread and see if some of the electronic whiz kids can help me.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:19 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
The first and most obvious question, do both channels work coming out of the stereo? Are the balance and fade controls set properly for sound to come out of all four speakers? If they are, and if you have another speaker lying around, I'd pull the one in the wall and connect the second one. That will tell you whether or not the speaker itself is the problem. The next thing I'd check would be the connections behind the radio itself; particularly if it's the type that has RCA jacks in the back. If there's a broken wire, barring some bizarre problem somewhere in the walls, it'll most likely be either at the radio end or the speaker end; most likely a bad connection. Save mechanical damage to the wiring, the wiring itself seldom is the problem. If the connections are all good, it may be a channel in the stereo itself that has failed, not an uncommon problem. The stereo in our 94 was inop when we bought it. It was an easy replace with another nice Sony unit.

Good Luck!

Roger
Old 04-12-2004, 06:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Speaker Wiring

Thanks for the help Roger:

Yes - the balance and fader controls both appear to be working just right for the front pair of speakers. If there's no other simple procedure (with the multi-meter) I'll probably do just what you suggested and check using the other speaker in the bedroom as a test speaker. That will resolve the speaker problem - and it could resolve the rear bedroom wiring question. On the other hand, if that doesn't work I'll need to test the connection at the tuner. With the plug disconnected I could shunt the two left rear speaker wires at the tuner and do a "continuity" check. That would resolve the wiring question, and leave a tuner problem. I'm hoping that it isn't the tuner but, if so, I could do a "work-around" by executing a "fader bypass," splicing the rear bedroom speakers directly to the wiring for the front speakers.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Thanks for the help Roger:

Yes - the balance and fader controls both appear to be working just right for the front pair of speakers. If there's no other simple procedure (with the multi-meter) I'll probably do just what you suggested and check using the other speaker in the bedroom as a test speaker. That will resolve the speaker problem - and it could resolve the rear bedroom wiring question. On the other hand, if that doesn't work I'll need to test the connection at the tuner. With the plug disconnected I could shunt the two left rear speaker wires at the tuner and do a "continuity" check. That would resolve the wiring question, and leave a tuner problem. I'm hoping that it isn't the tuner but, if so, I could do a "work-around" by executing a "fader bypass," splicing the rear bedroom speakers directly to the wiring for the front speakers.
That's another thing you could try... plugging the rear speakers into the front speaker jacks... see if they work. If they work... then it's definately the stereo!

Roger
Old 04-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Speaker work-around

I haven't pulled the Sony out of the case yet - but I believe that the speaker connector is a single plug for all of the speakers. The Sony does have auxillary outputs however. I'll be happy as can be if I can simply determine that the wiring is good from one end to the other.

Old 04-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
I haven't pulled the Sony out of the case yet - but I believe that the speaker connector is a single plug for all of the speakers.
I have installed a few of the Sony's. The connector to the head unit is a single connector, but the wires are 18 inches long. You may just have a set that were disconnected. This means doing a bit of fishing, but if you can get to the end of the Sony wire and find the Airstream wires you can check this.

Also some decks have a fuse for each set of speakers on the back of the head unit. One of these could have blown due to a short. I would look for those once you slide it out.

Third thing to do is see if someone has a Sny they could "lend" you. Swap it in and see if the speakers work. Of course this would be after you check the wires. Don' want to damage a loner
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Speaker Connections

Thanks to all for your input.

I found that my little multi-tester would give me a nice read out of wattage at the speakers. The left speaker wiring is definitely dead. I pulled the tuner and started a check on the wiring leaving it. Everything is nicely marked and Airstream did a good job of color coding the wires. The tuner is working fine on both rear speaker outputs - as tested at the connection off of the Sony wiring harness. The connections are still suspect but I'll do a pin prick test on the wires tommorrow evening at the tuner and downstream of the wire nut. Next, if that shows power past the wire nut at the tuner I'll do a pin prick test back at the bedroom speaker just ahead of the mechanical speaker connectors. If I still don't have a clue, I'll short the wires at the tuner and run a continuity check. If that fails, I'll connect a jumper from the connections at the tuner back to the bedroom and do an individual continuity check on each wire. If I find a bad wire I'm not sure what the next step is???
A bit vexing ain't it!