Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Speaker die off?

So I discovered my street side speakers (front and back that is) have died. Curbside remain in good service..

I know enough to dread venturing into the rats nest so cleverly secreted behind the secure barriers in the cabinet behind the Clarion. [emoji33]

But! Should I be going there at all or is there any other place to investigate or issue to consider here my good people?

I was an operator of electronics in the service and not a technical repair type... concepts and theory I can follow but no hands on fixing or tinkering here...

No other indicators of malfunction or sound issues, fade and balance are set to center, but front and back Clarion speakers are mute on the street side.

2018 FC, I welcome all advice or suggestions before I begin ineptly tinkering and monkeying with that which I know little about .. 🤯

Thanks in advance to all!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Start with I have a 2012 25FB. I have replace my stereo head and speakers so I have pulled mine apart. If yours is built the same, remove the radio/stereo head and there will be a rat's nest of wires there. You have a R or L problem, which could be a defect head unit, but you can access the wiring with the unit pulled out. Reverse the wiring and see if the problem moves to the other side or some connections may be bad. Either way, you will be able to determine whether the problem is with your head unit or with the wiring to the speakers.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #3

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Or check to see if someone messed with the balance.
Boy did I feel very dumb once.

Thanks,
Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Or check to see if someone messed with the balance.
Boy did I feel very dumb once.

Thanks,
Matti
Sure, I thought about bringing that up, but he said everything was set for the middle.....
Larry
Old 11-21-2019, 05:48 AM   #5

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Sorry missed that paragraph.
Good luck
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Did they both go out at once? When did they last work?

It's unlikely that two speakers both died overnight. Having two gone if you last checked them a year ago is not quite the same thing. If they both went all of a sudden, a connector somewhere falling off is the most likely cause.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Start with I have a 2012 25FB. I have replace my stereo head and speakers so I have pulled mine apart. If yours is built the same, remove the radio/stereo head and there will be a rat's nest of wires there. You have a R or L problem, which could be a defect head unit, but you can access the wiring with the unit pulled out. Reverse the wiring and see if the problem moves to the other side or some connections may be bad. Either way, you will be able to determine whether the problem is with your head unit or with the wiring to the speakers.

Larry
This!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
On my 2018, only half the speakers worked when delivered from the factory. I found one speaker had a broken off connector and another had a disconnected wire. I also found a short in the rats nest behind the radio. Sorry, you will need to check in all the possible places for problems.

I then decided to upgrade the speakers. This is a real pain on a Globetrotter because the speakers mount from inside the cabinets. There is a small access panel. What I found when I did this was some speakers had four screws holding, some had two, and one had a single screw and some double stick tape! The single screw speaker was flopping around inside the cabinet. It was nearly impossible to install the new speakers through the small access panel in the Globetrotter. It took two people with with three arms inside the small access panel to hold the speaker in place while installing the screws. It took about an hour replace each speaker because of the limited access. This limited access may be why the speakers came from the factory so poorly installed on the Globetrotter.

I also replaced the speakers on my 2017 Flying cloud. These were very easy to install because all work is done from the outside of the cabinet. You pull the wire mesh only off from the speaker and behind it you will find four screws. Remove those four screws and the speaker pulls right out. You can check the wires, or connect a new speaker, and then just reinstall the four screws and the wire speaker cover. A five minute job per speaker. What I found when I replaced these speakers was construction debris was causing the original speakers to distort. All I would have needed to do was clean the construction debris instead of replacing the speakers.

I replaced my stock speakers with Polk Audio 651 speakers which were a direct replacement on the Flying Cloud. On the Globetrotter, the speakers required an adapter ring. The adapter rings were supplied with the speakers purchased for my Flying Cloud, but not used. Luckily, I kept the adapter rings from those speakers to use on my Globetrotter. The adapter rings I used looked similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SAHR6...A0PHV4X34VNXRR The adapter ring was needed on the Globetrotter because the hole cut for the speaker was too large for the screw pattern on the replacement speaker.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Will removing the stereo head need any special instructions? Do I just follow my nose from the outside/front and begin trying to remove it? I did pull off the face while thinking down these lines but have never had to go all the way— will the stereo pull out of the frame if steady pull is applied? Then be pressed back in after? It was firmly in there so I stopped and thought to ask first..

They both worked in the very recent past for a fact- say within weeks past, and they both went out at once.

Thank you all who took the time to reply and help out...

I’ll be tackling this when I get back from a trip in a couple days. I’ll provide some feedback if I can make progress, or not ...

Have a great day all! [emoji846]

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 11-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

These stereos are removed with a thin spatula-like tool on each side, releasing a lock. Your owners' packet should have had the tools in it. There are some threads here with substitutes others have used, but the tools are also available on Amazon. You press one on each side and the radio just pulls out.

Larry
Old 11-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
What is this owners packet you speak of? I was lucky to get photocopies of stuff with my new unit... [emoji25]

Old 11-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
But seriously, may have to shop for those methinks....

Old 12-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #13
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
My speakers suddenly started working again yesterday...
Thank you [emoji318]

Old 12-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
My speakers suddenly started working again yesterday...
Thank you [emoji318]
The only guarantee is they will go out again. Sounds like an intermittent connection.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #15
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I was trying to not think about it....[emoji6]

Old 01-02-2020, 02:51 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The only guarantee is they will go out again. Sounds like an intermittent connection.
This is exactly what was happening to mine! This Christmas-> NYE trip has been plagued with issues. This was just one of them!

On my 2018 Flying Cloud 27FB, I decided to take the easy way out and unscrewed the platform the BluRay player sits inside, this gave me access to rats nest of wires. I could clearly see the reason, one of the wires was disconnected from the speaker and occasionally would connect by just resting on it. I was unable to get it to sit properly and didn't have the proper tools to widen the connector so it would seat properly on the speaker tab.

So, there's a really good chance you too will face this issue again and there's a really good chance it's just resting on the connector and making a connection now, but won't after a few bumps along the way.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #17
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I know this in my heart, but the procrastinator that governs my schedule won’t pencil in the repair ... [emoji58]