Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Sony stereo Model DSX-S301BTX does not see iPod or any internal device

Quick tip here , if you have a device like an iPod player in your Sony stereo system and it does not see it.
Try this; remove the device and shut down your system, disconnect the power (put the battery switch to store mode). This will kill all power to the coach. Then reconnect power (shore or otherwise). The stereo will reboot. Reinstall your device and cycle through the different sources and it will see your device now.
BTW it may work on other systems where your device isn't recognized by your stereo system.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
TJS

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
How play audio CDs? through the stereo system

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin

How can we play audio CDs in our new (to us) Airstream -- through the stereo speakers, not through the TV? The Sony Digital Media Player DSX-S310BTX doesn't have a CD player. Is there a way to connect a portable CD player to the USB port such that we can play the audiobooks we like to check out from the library? I see that Sony does have an adapter No. XA50-WM for connecting a Walkman to a USB. Will this work? If so, which Walkman CD player(s) would be compatible?

Tried playing them on the Samsung Bluetooth DVD player but nothing happens. Also, we do not want to have to leave the TV turned on just to listen to a CD -- running down the batteries unnecessarily.

Please advise. Thanks.
thomasjstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
How play audio CDs? through the stereo system

Your head unit should have a USB port on the right side, it has a slide gate that opens to a USB port. I see that it is the same model number..
Old 07-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
TJS

Currently Looking...
USB Port for portable CD Player

Yes, these units do have two USB ports, one external and one inside the drawer ("tune tray"). The question was whether we could connect a portable CD payer through one of the USB ports and if so would it work? This because there is no AUX MP3 (3.5 mm) input on the Sony unit (amazingly).
Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Does your trailer have the Samsung Blu-ray player?
Play the CD in the Blu-ray player and then select input CD-2 on the Sony head unit.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
shadedsilver

2014 27' FB International
Bisbee , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Does your trailer have the Samsung Blu-ray player?
Play the CD in the Blu-ray player and then select input CD-2 on the Sony head unit.
This correct for using the TV through the stereo system also..Sony has to be set to CD2.
shadedsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[M. Honey] &
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedsilver View Post
This correct for using the TV through the stereo system also..Sony has to be set to CD2.
well OK now. this is news. I'll give it a try. Aside from the bulk issue and the fact I can jam about 180 albums on the Walkman, we've been leaving the CD's at home because we didn't like playing them thru the TV. To be honest it never occurred to me that it would be a stereo setting....the whole TV/BR stereo IMO is challenging....and I'm just trying to get some tunes on. I thought I was doing well just figuring how to make to "go dark" i.e. loose the default light show.

I've been playing with the Walkman mp3 vs three separate thumb drives (rock, jazz and Hawaiian) trying to find the easiest solution to scrolling, folder vs album as well as continuous play.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe now it will be less challenging?
It's kinda sorta like an old school home stereo component set.
Big ole amp or receiver, several tape decks, turntable, EQ, tuner if you had an amp rather than a receiver. Receiver is just the amp and tuner
Then as time passed CD player, VCR, stereo TV, DVD player-
Always had to select your source on the amp or receiver-
Always had to select "Tape 1" or "Tape 2" depending on if you were listening or recording-
I still have a hodge lodge of old school and new school components hooked up to my surround sound receiver from tape deck and turntable to Blu-ray and Wii console.
There is even a complicated way within the Sony (fader) to mimic the "Speakers A, Speakers B, Speakers A and B" of an old school home amp/receiver.
Some folks maybe never had a big home stereo system?
Everything now is influenced by Windows.
All selections made via menus-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Maybe now it will be less challenging?
It's kinda sorta like an old school home stereo component set.
Big ole amp or receiver, several tape decks, turntable, EQ, tuner if you had an amp rather than a receiver. Receiver is just the amp and tuner
Then as time passed CD player, VCR, stereo TV, DVD player-
Always had to select your source on the amp or receiver-
Always had to select "Tape 1" or "Tape 2" depending on if you were listening or recording-
I still have a hodge lodge of old school and new school components hooked up to my surround sound receiver from tape deck and turntable to Blu-ray and Wii console.
There is even a complicated way within the Sony (fader) to mimic the "Speakers A, Speakers B, Speakers A and B" of an old school home amp/receiver.
Some folks maybe never had a big home stereo system?
Everything now is influenced by Windows.
All selections made via menus-

I hope so. thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Bob
Old 07-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
TJS

Currently Looking...
CD through the DVD player

I think I mentioned that we couldn't get the CD to play through the DVD player with the TV on. We were only given the "CD" option as the input, not "CD 2". In any event, even if it had worked, when we are dry camping without electricity we do not want to leave the TV on. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There is another button you push after you get it to CD to select CD 2.
I would have to be in the trailer to tell you.
We're going on a trip Friday.
I'll jog my memory.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjstone View Post
I think I mentioned that we couldn't get the CD to play through the DVD player with the TV on. We were only given the "CD" option as the input, not "CD 2". In any event, even if it had worked, when we are dry camping without electricity we do not want to leave the TV on. Any other suggestions?
thomasjstone, as for the CD in the BR, I remember it being a big technical challenge and to be honest can't remember specifics. I'll re-read the instructions to jog my memory but since I don't have SP at storage it will be awhile to physically walk thru it.

When I discovered that the TV needed to be on and music played thru the TV I received a 16 GB Walkman NWZ-E385 for my birthday. I jammed 180 albums and headed for San Diego on our maiden voyage. The first way I figured it out was to use the Walkman USB connection...connected it at the slide drawer...jammed it all in and used the Sony to navigate thru the music. It was later on the trip that I figured out that I could use the exterior USB port instead of the slide drawer. Much better and I could use the WM functions to navigate.

Once I was this far, I figured USB is USB so I loaded an album on my key chain flashdrive. Presto. Now I use the WM in the car and the flashdrives in the Sony. I have all my music on my laptop so it is easy to swap out albums...drag and drop for the drives and WM

Here are my getting the music going notes plus a few others. It's a work in progress.

However the manual after you re-read it a bunch of times while standing at the Sony, it starts to makes sense.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: docx 0 Prgramming the stereo.docx (15.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjstone View Post
thomasjstone, since these electronics at least to me are difficult, I pulled out the manuals for a refresher.

Looking at the BR manual (which BTW has a tag line...imagine the possibilities....for sure, I'm trying. ) there is a section on navigation pg9 of my manual. For the BR remote there is a HOME button at the top, that when pressed opens a menu for to select "Videos, Pics, Music and settings" Maybe try music or videos as appropriate. Seems his was my first threshold.

Also I noticed in the front panel drawing pg6 that there is a USB host behind a little flip face plate. maybe a DVD player could be hooked up there...maybe even a Mp3/flash drive. I've never tried.

as for
...We were only given the "CD" option as the input, not "CD 2".

on the sony note #2 of my sheet sheet press source/off repeatedly until you find CD, then press mode to set that CD...seems once there you can press source/off repeatedly to scroll thru the CD options (1,2). Also try Q to scroll thru the CD options. If you're using a Walkman for music select external (if appropriate).

Obviously if you're dry camping and assuming there is no inverter/genset to provide 110, the BR is out of the picture.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There ya go.
That's what I was trying to remember.
Press "Source" till you get to CD.
Then press "Mode" to get to CD2.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Oh for the days of 8 tracks. Slap it in and spin the volume dial all the way over. I time simpler for sure.

A little nostalgic I guess. We went to Brownsville OR today for their Stand By Me Day cerebration (30th anniv. this year) and had a great time...then came home and pulled out the VCR and watched the movie.

Great movie...great music.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
OK, so we have just purchased a 2013 flying cloud with the same set up . We can get to CD2, but no sound goes to the speakers. I have tried linking my Droid smart phone as I don't have an iPhone. It doesn't recognize it. Does the radio only recognize iPhone? Can anyone help.
ssopko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My Android is linked just fine. Make sure BT is on both on the phone then the radio. CD2 is the right selection for TV through the speakers, you want something else for ipod , radio, or BT audio.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
CD2 is to get sound from the DVD player.
Bluetooth is to play music from your phone.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955