Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL
ROBERTSUNRUS - Thanks. I will check that.

Just to confirm is your radio also a Sony?

Thanks

jd
Hi, yes my radio is a Sony.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:18 AM   #16
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Well...

I checked all the antenna connections. I double checked that the allen set screw on top was tight. It is. Checked the connection on the back of the radio.

Still get lousy reception..

Looks like its the Sony...

Anybody replaced their Sony with something better? Pioneer? Kenwood? All suggestions welcome....

Thanks

Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL

Anybody replaced their Sony with something better? Pioneer? Kenwood? All suggestions welcome....

Thanks

I've had very good luck with JVC, but the current radio is a Clarion, with the aux inputs for the DVD player. Works very well.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Replaced 12" Sony Antenna Mast with 31"

I looked through the variety of "antenna masts" at Checker Auto Parts today. I settled on CK-RM22B, Metra Replacement Antenna Mast (GM/Ford/Chrysler/Japanese Cars). Price $13.99. Length about 31".

Step 1: Take off the 12" black Sony antenna. Easy. The antenna is mounted with a fine threaded philips head screw, compression spring and the black Sony antenna screws down, compressing the spring. This can be done by hand, but if yours is resisting, use a pliers and unscrew. I call it a Sony antenna, but I have no clue who supplies it to attach to my Sony system...

Step 2: There are three combinations of connections that can be used with the Checker antenna package. Two are not even close. One will work. It threads perfectly into the 31" antenna, of course. The threaded side that would screw into the mount on the Airstream roof is a coarse thread, but the same diameter. The original antenna "philips screw" is a fine thread on the Sony antenna...

Step 3: You will need two "monkey wrenches". One to tighten the antenna and the second to hold the mount on the roof that remains when the Sony antenna is removed.

Step 4: The coarse thread will screw into the fine thread mount, but you are also damaging the threads as you tighten the antenna. It screws in nice and tight with minor effort.

Before I did step 4, I made sure I was getting AM and FM reception. I was getting great reception and the reception on my Sony radio was clear and sharp in the AS. No better or worse than the 12" antenna, since I was not swapping them back and forth to compare. The nice reception of AM and FM I expected, since we were in Denver and using local stations. The ultimate test will be when we are in some remote area trying to get AM radio reception, that my truck gets with no effort. Since the reception was fine with the new antenna, I torqued the mount and antenna connector. Enough to be stable, but not where I was pulling threads from the fine threaded mid section and lower threaded mount... in the event I have to back everything out and need to run a new thread to replace the Sony 12" antenna.

After snugging the mount on the AS roof and new 31" antenna, I globbed some Dicor Lap Sealant onto the connection. When it cures it would prevent something backing out... OK, I might be dreaming, but the Lap Sealant was handy.

I will report my distance AM reception when I am able to test this 31" antenna. Of course now the antenna extends 19"+ higher over the top of the AS. The antenna is very flexible, will not break if you "whack" some low hanging branch or low flying aircraft in your area. I am comfortable that the new antenna and expect this antenna to be a great improvement to AM radio reception when Rockdocking the Rockies...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have a quick question regarding the Sony radio. How does one change radio stations without using the "seek" function? I do not have a user manual with my unit.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #20
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
gaylejoe,

Push and hold the seek button. Either right or left. Once it beeps it will allow you move a step at a time in either direction. However, it will only stay in this mode for about 1 second. Once you stop moving stations it will go back to seek.

It is a very poor design. Anything Sony is off my list of things to buy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe
I have a quick question regarding the Sony radio. How does one change radio stations without using the "seek" function? I do not have a user manual with my unit.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe
Hi gaylejoe
You can download your Sony manual from here:Sony eSupport - Electronics - Select Your Model

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, we stopped receiving both AM and FM reception. It isn't a "weak antenna" issue— we were previously getting stations at the same location, and then it just stopped. We moved to a more metro area recently, and still can't even get the hint of a station on either AM or FM. We have the factory Sony install, and the 12" rubber wand antenna. We haven't climbed up to look at the antenna connection yet, but it *looks* just fine — the antenna's sticking straight up — no signs that it was knocked out of place.

I opened up the access hatch today to the back of the stereo to get some more use out of the CD changer inputs (we removed the CD changer months ago), and figured I'd see if maybe the antenna connection was knocked lose from the stereo itself. Geez, it's a mess in there, with all those 6' cables they used when they only needed a foot! Since I'm not going to spend the money to replace all those cables, I at least untangled them this time and wrapped up the excess individually in zip ties so I could make heads or tails of whats left.

What I *did* find were three wires that look like they're related to the antenna (see photo). It's kind of hard to make out the three from the rest, but here's what's going on: The red one just looks like a grounding wire, then there's a grey one flagged "ATT" that terminates inside the flag. Then there's that blue one, which looks like it's supposed to be connected to something… but I have no idea what! I can't find any more loose wires.

Do you think this blue wire is the problem, and should be connected somewhere? If so, what should I be looking for? I could have easily missed something, but there's only so much time you can spend twisted up inside a cubby in your overhead cabinet with a thousand wires!

ETA: I just googles "ANT REM MAX 0.1A" and I'm gathering that this is to connect "power/motorized" antennas, so I don't know if this a red herring. If it is, what DOES the actual radio antenna look like? I have the owners manual and the service manual and neither have given me a clue.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
My best guess is the blue wire would go to the relay that operates a motorized telescoping antenna used in some car applications. The antenna wire you're looking for is a coax type cable that comes from the base where the antenna is mounted on the roof and plugs into the back of the radio.

Try to google the model number of your radio to see if you can find an owners manual or maybe a diagram of the various connections.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
My best guess is the blue wire would go to the relay that operates a motorized telescoping antenna used in some car applications. The antenna wire you're looking for is a coax type cable that comes from the base where the antenna is mounted on the roof and plugs into the back of the radio.
This is my recollection as well (I've done a couple car stereo installations).

Worst case is that the antenna wire was pinched somewhere and has now rubbed through. Another possibility is that the tuner on the radio died.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #25
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
Have you tried to tune (trim) your antenna? ... Not sure where the Sony trim screw is, but generally it's just under one of the tuning knobs on the front of the radio...(some are located on the back of the radio) ...but, if you can find it, tune your radio on AM to the weakest station above 1400 and turn the trim screw back and forth until you get the loudest reception. That will set both the AM & FM receivers to your antenna. This was always a must when changing antennas on car radios...
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't see *any* coaxial (for the actual antenna) either plugged into the stereo or hanging loose, but I will take another look.

Rockwell, I get *nothing* from any station, not even the weakest signal on any frequency (which makes me wonder if Skater is right and that the tuner has just gone out entirely).

To add to it all, after I put everything back together last night, now I get buzzing and static in the speakers (when the radio is set to any input) whenever the lights are one. (I was supposed to attach that loose [red] ground wire to something, wasn't I?)
Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Ray_Eklund

did your longer antennae solve the weak Sony signal problem? Was trying to listen to World Series this year in East Texas and could get absolutely nothing on the Sony even though the Tundra radio was clear as a bell.

Dana