Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Sony MEX-R5 head unit causing WiFi interference

I haven't seen this posted before and apologies in advance if that is the case. Anyhow we discovered a "feature" of our Sony head unit that I didn't know about. It has a factory default setting that is turned on to transmit audio and video over FM in the 2.4 GHZ band (2414 for channel 1). That's just fine but that also happens to be very close to the WiFi channel 1 frequency (2412). Close enough to block the WiFi (G) channel 1. We had another WiFi access point available on channel 10 (2457) that worked fine. So we spent quite a while troubleshooting our connectivity to the Airstream park WiFi and concluded that it was an interference problem. But we had no clue what was causing it. I just happened to completely turn off the radio and notice that I could then connect to the park WiFi. RTFM time. And sure enough the manual fully documented the wireless AV capabiliy (warned of interference) and and described how to turn it off. It can use 4 different channels but I chose off as we're not using it. And the WiFi worked perfectly as soon as I changed the setting. I wanted to pass this along in case other people were banging their heads troubleshooting. And I'm sure other Sony units have this same "feature".
-KL
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Ran into this myself about a year and a half ago at the KOA in Perry, FL. Fortunately one of the work campers there was familiar with the problem and we got it straightened out. Now I wish someone would tell me why I cannot get connected to the Airstream Outside WiFi at Jackson Center. My stereo is completely turned off so that is not the problem this time.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote