Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #1

2006 28' Safari SE
Austin , Texas
Sony Audio Receiver/CD Player in '06 Safari resets periodically

Hi all! Newbie here and enjoying all the great content! I have a 2006 Safari that is permanently(?) setup on a vacation property connected to ground power/water/sewage, etc.

All electrical seems to work fine except for the audio receiver which will turn off after about 3 minutes. It will then maybe turn back on and maybe not. I've been playing audio via an RCA cable from my iPhone but it seems to do the same thing playing CD's or radio.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
BRS-Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Check the voltage to the radio with a meter to verify the voltage is correct. Maybe the inline fuse is corroded. Check the ground wire from the radio.

If all looks well, a replacement may be needed. Trouble is Sony now doesn't offer that type of radio with the built in DVD anymore.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thankfully the replacement does not have to be a Sony. Mine will do that every once in a while. I figured it was just getting old. I would like to replace it with a newer model with updated features. Been shopping but no decision made, so many to choose from.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #4

2006 28' Safari SE
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the quick replies guys! Ninety percent of the time I'll just stream play music from an iPhone via a mini-cable so the CD isn't that important. Guess it's time to test the electrical and maybe shop for a replacement!
BRS-Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
I have the Sony MEX-DV2000 installed on my 08 Safari. I've noticed since new the unit is very hot. Checked the Sony web site. Says is normal, however it is not to be confined into areas with no air circulation. So I have had the access cover removed for years.
Now it has gotten soooo hot, I've put a small portable fan up into cabinet. Still not good enough. There is a very small fan built into the back of the Sony unit. The fan has stopped blowing. So something has blown in the unit itself.
The DVD portion will start pixelizing when playing movies, until I can cool it down some. So I pull it all the way out of the cabinet put the portable fan on it and at that point can watch the DVD.
Quite the hassle when trying to watch a movie.
Anyone finding a fix for this, I would love to hear from you.
This model has been discontinued from Sony.
David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm planning on installing a Furrion DV3100 in place of my Sony in my Classic. I've already ditched the Sony 10 Disc player to free up some space in the cabinet.

As for your issue its probably not worth having your deck repaired.

When I switch over I may put my Sony desk and 10 Disc player up for sale.

Kelvin
Old 09-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
check for shorted speaker wires.
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I too have a Sony (I think it's a MEX-DV2000), and it only lasted about a year before it started getting hot and acting up intermittently. I think there is an issue with the amp and/or output because the radio will make a beep noise when powered on but the speakers remain silent.

I've looked for a replacement, but can' t find one with a DVD built in. Sony used to sell refubished replacements for about $130 or so.

When our trailer was less than 2 years old, I had called Airstream Customer Service, and was told that their extended warranty did not cover the radio. I though it was BS when everything else was covered...
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Drew, check out crutchfield.com. They have head units with built in DVD.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I was interested in what Crutchfield has to offer. They do have single DIN DVD receivers but all but one has the retractable 7" screen. Not sure those type are best suited for our applications.

Here is the link to the DV3100. Even though it looks like a double DIN install its a single DIN the same size hole as the Sony. The DVD/CD section takes up the slot. Several forum members have installed it. Cost is about $150 from most online sellers.

Entertainment System - FURRION

Kelvin
Old 09-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Welcome BRS, you'll love these crazy folks ! I have a '10 FC and I'm looking for a stereo with blue tooth to replace mine. Who has CD's anymore ? I'm hoping to find a unit hat fits the hole of course, I'll look at that Crutchfield unit. . . travel safe, Craig
Old 03-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
I finally ditched the Sony for a Kenwood KVT70127.0"WVGA 1-din DVD Receiver

it has all the hookups needed from the wiring of the 08' Safari, got rid of the cd/disc changer and a lot of extra wiring that was not needed. all that was needed was to re-solder the new wiring harness from the old wires. Same color wires. Easy enough.
now I have blue tooth, cd/dvd, USB connection.....and more.
David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
check for shorted speaker wires.
This was the problem with my Sony. It wouldn't shut off but sound was distorted.
Any automotive radio will fit. I replaced my Sony because I wanted Sirius radio and my Sony was to old to have an internal module.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote