Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #21

Currently Looking...
Devils Tower , Wyoming
We have used the factory-supplied Voyager WVCMS130AP camera and WVOS541 monitor bundled on two different late-model Airstreams. We use it a little bit for backing but primarily while driving as a supplement to the towing mirrors. When my wife drives, she really loves knowing exactly what is behind us and to confirm the mirror side views.

Once paired, the camera switches on when the 7-pin connector is attached and we switch on the headlights. We have seen an occasional connection drop-out but this is very uncommon for us with our 25'. We've never used the sound.

BTW, these monitors tend to ship with the display in the wrong orientation. Ours both shipped with left-right transposed. We had to switch the orientation by pressing and holding the power button to choose the desired one from the four different orientations the monitor supports.
kmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I had Fred’s first WiFi system. It uses a router in front of the trailer to relay the camera signal to your iPhone. The iPhone app is defunct and there isn’t a Great replacement.

So I installed a Voyager. Just completed 2,500 miles without a drop out or poor image. I am totally happy with it.

I now realize that one issue with the WiFi system is that it interfered with my Dill TPMS, causing false alarms several times a day. Haven’t had one since using the Voyager.

Originally I bought the 7” screen but found it way too big. Exchanged it for the 3.5 model ( or is it 3.4?) and find it perfect for me.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Wouldn't be without it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
After six years of owning our 2012 25ft FB Flying Cloud I am now considering putting in a back-up camera (a tree moved on me the other day and I damaged my bike rack). Anyway I have read most of the posts regarding backup cameras.
As a result I am more confused then ever, however, at my age that does not take much.

My first question has to do with wifi. Some of the articles I have read tell me that because of the Aluminum shell wifi can be intermittent, however, I did not see any threads on the forum saying that. So is the wifi the way to go or hard wiring the best way. Also how does one hook into wifi while driving or at a park that does not have wifi?

Although my 2012 F250 has a monitor with a back-up camera I suspect having a separate monitor is the way to go as it will show live road conditions at all times and if desire I can turn it on and off at will.

I doubt if I will do the installation myself and will probably use Camping World or a local RV dealership that is close by.

Any thoughts on which one to purchase or the idea of using a local RV dealer or Camping World is greatly appreciated.
We installed our Voyager wireless system after a heroic trip down a Calif freeway near San Francisco, several years ago. We feel that knowing who and what is behind you, at all times, is critical. Mirrors simply are not adequate. The WiFi is inclusive and does not require a separate signal or subscription. We had our AS dealer install it. ($150). At the time, the unit was about $750 from Camping World, who will also supply the unit and install it, we know. Using the unit to backup is a dream, as it has excellent sound transmission both ways between the driver and a person behind. We have it connected and on, not only when backing, but always while driving. Backup coverage is just the frosting. Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
We also have 4-5 bar wifi connection between the monitor (in the car) and the camera (on the back of the AS) at all times. The aluminum is not a negative factor that we have noticed. Also, we did have a power cord fail, on a trip. I was probably stretching it too far (?). Voyager heard my problem, diagnosed it, and promptly sent me a new one. No charge, and fast UPS delivery. That one short trip home with the unit not working reminded me how important for us that unit really is. What a major driving stress reducer! Like I said, "We would not be without it.” Dave
Old 08-06-2018, 07:01 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
I just installed a Voyager and I am very happy with it. Pluses for me have been not having any blind spots, knowing where the back of trailer is in relation to camping site before I start backing, helping me to see if i am parallel to the site sides and being able to see and hear my wife better. I also now feel much safer when in motion. One surprise has been how good the image was in the rain. I have not used it at night. As a side note, I also installed a Weboost at the same time but I am going to have to use it over time before I can recommend it (or not).
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Hmm...I am wondering if the “signal losing people” have a poor power cable, like the one I replaced (free from Voyager). An intermittent signal is what occurred to ours, just prior to losing the image. New cable put us instantly back to a perfect image. The WiFi is very strong now. Check to see if your plugin cable is being pulled thru the “retainer” zip-tie, like I found that ours was. I made a better retaining system upon replacement using good tape. Dave
Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Does the length of the AS make a difference when it comes to using wireless cameras. I note there does not seem to be problem with 19feet but what about 25 feet or larger.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Does the length of the AS make a difference when it comes to using wireless cameras. I note there does not seem to be problem with 19feet but what about 25 feet or larger.
The answer is yes but from what I have read you just need to careful with what you buy. I think my Voyager was talking 60ft in the instructions. I have in on 24ft trailer without problems.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Mine’s a 25’ plus another 10’ or so to the receiver. Usually I have 3 bars, sometimes going up or more rarely down one for a split second. No connection problems at all
Old 08-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Too Low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Goes directly in the center, just above the navigation screen on the provided suction cup. Seven inches is not as big as it sounds, but I am tall and sit high in the vehicle. Visit your local camping world or similar distributor and review the screen in person. Locate a cardboard model where you think it should go and see if it blocks your view. There was a video on Youtube that showed install on a MoHo. They mounted it on the dash and oriented the screen toward the driver. Pat

Edit look at about 9 minutes into the video.
To me, it looks like this installation is way too low for a WiFi model, which needs a signal from the camera to the monitor at the back of the Airstream. The low mounting was the most notable concern, for me. It might be confusing to those who might not notice the fact that it is a "hard wire" installation (like I did, the first time I looked at it ... duh!?). For WiFi, I use the suction cup, and place the monitor just below my rear view mirror, with the antenna almost to the top of the windshield. It is easy to see and our signal is great. Our WiFi unit is devoid of any wires, other than for the power cord. Dave
Old 08-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We installed a Voyager camera on the back of our 25 ft FC before our trip to International this year. Never once in the 7400 mile trip did we lose signal , not even any screen flicker.
The total distance from camera to monitor is about 38 feet. Highly recommend this for pulling a trailer, I now have 360 degree view around our trailer and TV
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #32
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Nancy View Post
-- snip -- It might be confusing to those who might not notice the fact that it is a "hard wire" installation -- snip -- Our WiFi unit is devoid of any wires, other than for the power cord. Dave
Dave, no this is a radio frequency com unit. It is wired only for power. Note the antennas. The extra wire connections on the receiver are for the install of additional cameras. But your point about receiver location may be on point. Ours has always been just above the dash on a suction cup. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #33

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Carlsbad , California
How are you powering that camera? Thanks..
camaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
After six years of owning our 2012 25ft FB Flying Cloud I am now considering putting in a back-up camera (a tree moved on me the other day and I damaged my bike rack). Anyway I have read most of the posts regarding backup cameras.
As a result I am more confused then ever, however, at my age that does not take much.

My first question has to do with wifi. Some of the articles I have read tell me that because of the Aluminum shell wifi can be intermittent, however, I did not see any threads on the forum saying that. So is the wifi the way to go or hard wiring the best way. Also how does one hook into wifi while driving or at a park that does not have wifi?

Although my 2012 F250 has a monitor with a back-up camera I suspect having a separate monitor is the way to go as it will show live road conditions at all times and if desire I can turn it on and off at will.

I doubt if I will do the installation myself and will probably use Camping World or a local RV dealership that is close by.

Any thoughts on which one to purchase or the idea of using a local RV dealer or Camping World is greatly appreciated.
Camping World will know what to do. We have no connection problems using the WiFi with our Voyager set-up. it is powered by the running lights.We had our Airstream dealer, Sutton, install it ($150). Dave
Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
We have the AS installed Voyager camera on our 2017 FC and rely on it heavily. Recently, we were heading out on our latest venture when the monitor would not come on. I discovered that the 12v plug was not outputting any voltage. I took it apart and discovered that one of the internal wires was disconnected. I could not believe how cheaply made this adapter is! On mine, the wire is not connected to the strain relief so the wire can be pulled out or rotated. I’m also less than impressed with the connection to the monitor....just two wires stuck in the back.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote