Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Skyliner antenna questions

Understand there are replacement gears/worms. Spent two days working on this thing. The inside control handle was frozen in place. The upstairs part did not swivel. Alot of penetrating oil and finally alot of love taps with hammer. Got the base to rotate. Surprised at the amount of gray sand and grit that oozed out from under the rotating plate. Handle does now rotate the antenna, but does not pull down. It is one inch from the ceiling. What else can I do to release the shaft?
There are two two inch broken aluminum rivets that held together part of the antenna. Can they be replaced?
Need to replace the flat cable. Broke both of the aluminum wing nuts. Also replaceable?
Plan to attack the antenna with Barkeeper's Friend.
Thanks. Jack
p.s. kind of like the look of the antenna and would like to save it if possible
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Link to Skyliner parts diagram - expands to clearer view:

http://www.hhbraund.com/skyliner%20picture.gif

Link to some still available parts:

TV Radio Satellite Parts : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

You can buy a flat to coax adaptor at Lowes (get the exterior one with the rubber boot) in the video/phone section.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
My antenna was also frozen much like yours. Used the same technique you did to get it to rotate. All the grey grit stuff that came out is the corrosion that was holding it frozen in place. Some lubrication and movement should smooth things out. The handle on ours is about one inch below the ceiling normally. It says "pull to raise or lower" "push to rotate". I thought you had to pull it to raise or lower but found that at one inch it was pulled out and would raise or lower. Try pushing up on the handle the handle base should move almost up almost touching the ceiling trim plate. Again be patient a little tapping, a little wiggling and hopefully it will pop up. Good Luck.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Thanks for all the help. I managed to persuade the center shaft to release its grip on eight years of salt, corrosion and other things. It helped alot to know howmuch it was supposed to move up and down. The handle now rotates freely. I ordered replacement gears today. Will secure the aluminum rivets to "fix" the broken ones. Am now in the process of locating some antenna wire and a two wire splitter. Box store no help. Will try Radio Shack. Thanks again for the guidance. Jack
Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you can't find your two wire to coax adaptor locally - you can order it here or check your local ACE hardware.

Vanco International 32968 Transformer-75/300 OUTDR
Old 03-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Feel like this is turning into "Antenna for Dummies". The antenna wire that comes out of the roof of the AS is a thick two wire lead. I assume it goes through the camper and attaches to the two TV locations. I have the two prong adaptor that plugs in to the TV outlet. Two questions: 1) the wire coming out from the roof is weathered. Where to locate the thick antenna wire? Have only found flat two wire like what used to be on my home antenna. 2) If I use the 75/300 outdoor converter, then I have to pull coax through the AS and then outlets are bypassed? I thought I could get the indoor converter and stick the wires in the outlet giving me a coax fitting at the TV. Thanks. Jack
Old 03-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Jack - it's probably because people like me are doing the wrong thing - presuming to know what you want to do - or having our mind wrapped around what we want to do, on the same project.....Sorry.

What is it that you want to accomplish. Do you want to keep using the ribbon wire and not pull coax to your old boxes and convert them - then just convert at the connection to the box..?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Sometimes what I am trying to ask does get confusing putting it in words. Yes, would like to keep the wiring as it is now. The wire coming out of the roof is a beefed up two wire lead that attachs to antenna. This is the section I would like to replace. I would assume they did not use flat two-wire ribbon antenna wire orginally. Saw 16/2 wire at the box store. Can I splice a new section of this wire to the antenna? Will it be compatible with the system? Already have the flat antenna to coax converters. Plan to remove the clip, expose wire and use TV outlet plug.Thanks.
Jack
Old 03-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Even though the wire on the roof is weathered, as long as it is not broken or touching metal it will work. On of the best insulators is Air. The flat ribbon cable inside can be connected to an adaptor for coax.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote