Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Smithfield , Virginia
Skyliner Antenna leak

I found a leak coming from the Skyliner antenna crank inside my ’73 Safari. The antenna is frozen or broken, it doesn’t raise and I’d guess it doesn’t lower. I was going to remove it anyway and patch the opening.
My first question is has anyone removed their Antenna? What’s involved? I don’t want to destroy it just remove it as a complete unit and keep it. I pretty much keep most of the old parts I remove, you never know! As I thought about this, I got to wonder if I should repair it. So my second question is if I spent the money and took the time would the thing even work with a digital TV signal?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
jasmith58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
If it is leaking, you will want to remove the base of the antenna
so you can remove the old caulk - regardless of further action.

Yes, it wil receive a digital signal. However, the question is yours
to decide - rebuild the old gears , or replace with a new unit.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
They Skyliner antennas work great for digital. I have been using one for years now. I attached a pdf of a Skyliner installation guide that should be helpful. Parts, including the gears to raise and lower, are available at Out-of-Doors Mart and some other places.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tv_antenna.pdf (1.01 MB, 135 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Smithfield , Virginia
After reading the responses, I think I’m going to remove the antenna assembly, patch the opening so I can use the trailer this fall and spend the winter repairing the antenna. I’ll reinstall it in the spring.
And thanks to Vaughan for the Skyliner installation guide!
jasmith58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
good idea. all you need to do to remove it is un-do the set screw in the crank, and then go up on the roof, and drill out all the rivets holding it on.

then, observe the corroded roof skin, and the pinholes in the base plate of the skyliner, where all the water has been coming in.

My crank wouldn't come off, so I had to cut it. Once I got the antenna out, I found that the innards are so rusted up and frozen, they'd never work again. These parts aren't available anywhere that I could find. The raise/lower gears, yes, but nothing else.
So, I wired out the corrosion on the skin, cut an aluminum patch, and covered up the hole.
Replaced the antenna w/ a modern "Bat Wing"...but it won't fit where the skyliner was, so I had to drill new holes in the roof, placing the antenna mount sort of along side the forward vent. Otherwise, the head would hit the a/c shroud.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote