Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Sirius/XM radio

Does any one know if the new Airstreams are wired for Sirius/XM radio? I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius from a boat I sold (money to buy new Flying Cloud 30) that I would like to transfer to an automobile type unit for the trailer. The marine type antennas are small mushroom types and would mount nicely to the roof, but the wiring needs to be there.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Airstream Interstates are. Don't know about the trailers.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Is the radio in the boat removable? If so, you may be ok, but they're VERY funny about those lifetime subscriptions. Depending on when you purchased it, it may be only valid for that particular radio and non-transferable. Furthermore, it is only valid for Sirius and not "SiriusXM".

There are three hardware platforms now: Sirius (legacy), XM (legacy) and SiriusXM (current). Since XM didn't offer lifetime subscriptions, their subscribers can move over to the new format no problem. The lifers with Sirius? Not so fast my friend.

Before you do anything, I'd call them (they moved their customer support back to the US) and find out what the rules are.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Before you do anything, I'd call them (they moved their customer support back to the US) and find out what the rules are.

Already done yesterday--I have the old original Sirius lifetime and transfer is OK. In fact for $60 they are sending a new portable receiver unit with the wires and car roof antena, etc. So, if wiring is in the trailer, I would only need the marine antena for the roof and then plug and play through the Sony and sound system in the FC.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
My Sirius was part of the Audio/Video package. Airstream usually pre-wires for just about everything (solar, speakers, satellite TV, etc.), but looking at the job they did when installing the satellite antenna, and judging by the globs of caulking around it, it appears to be a post construction factory installation. On the positive side, the radio they provided was a 'Streamer' model, and is removable, so I can transfer it between vehicles, with the use of a magnetic antenna.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote