Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We Did...

I find that we watch very little TV when camping. The exception is during college football season. But most of the campgrounds these days have cable hook-ups so we plan accordingly, or I get updates on the CrackBerry on ESPN.com.

As such we yanked ours off the Avion and intend to do the same on the AS next month.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I revamped the Skyliner on my trailer. Replaced the gear and o-rings. It works great with digital TV and I like the vintage look of it.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3326 View Post
unless it is on the top - I have no stand alone radio antenna. When replacing my 8-track with a modern unit, I did have a black coaxial style antenna plug but I have no idea where it leads.
I was assuming that the large Skyliner antenna served dual duty. I have double checked and I have no antenna on the front street side or a prior patch.
I think I am going to go ahead and remove the skyliner and see what happens!
Pull the wall plate where you plug in your TV antenna and you will find the splitter that is coming from the Skyliner. Removing it means no antenna at all for radio. If you just have to remove it, you will have to mount some kind of radio antenna somewhere. You will have to cut a new hole for it and fish the cable to your radio, wherever it is.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Hi. Your post was very informative. I am having the same problem with my old antenna. It is stuck in one place, fortunately down, and I can't get it up. I went topside this summer and sure enough the screws look like they are really frozen so I haven't touched it. I am curious, where did you get the new lift mechanism and were you able to successfully get the screws out without damaging the top. I worry about patching up there as it is soooo rainy where my trailer lives most of the year.

BTW I have a '79 Sovereign and it is set up the same way. The old V antenna is for television only and there is a bracket on the front that holds an antenna that feeds into a plug (kind of hard to get to) on the front of the trailer. We use the antenna so little that I haven't given much thought to it, but lately I have decided to fix as many of the irritating "little" things as I can. Ahh so, an old trailer has no end of "irritating little things" to fix.

Joan
Old 10-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign42 View Post
Hi. Your post was very informative. I am having the same problem with my old antenna. It is stuck in one place, fortunately down, and I can't get it up. I went topside this summer and sure enough the screws look like they are really frozen so I haven't touched it. I am curious, where did you get the new lift mechanism and were you able to successfully get the screws out without damaging the top. I worry about patching up there as it is soooo rainy where my trailer lives most of the year.

BTW I have a '79 Sovereign and it is set up the same way. The old V antenna is for television only and there is a bracket on the front that holds an antenna that feeds into a plug (kind of hard to get to) on the front of the trailer. We use the antenna so little that I haven't given much thought to it, but lately I have decided to fix as many of the irritating "little" things as I can. Ahh so, an old trailer has no end of "irritating little things" to fix.

Joan
I got the gearset from Out of Doors Mart (Braund Worm Gear Kit 22-8309 [11901] - $12.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart). The only screws involved were holding the plastic gear cover onto the antenna. 50% success rate in removing them, one broke. However, one appears to be ample to hold the cover down. The gears are held in place with a roll pin for the worm gear and the rack part is secured on the shaft that lifts the antenna with a snap ring. The kit comes with a new roll pin and a couple of snap rings. They also have replacement gear housings available now (Skyliner TV Antenna Gear Housing 12662 [12662] - $10.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart). I was unable to locate any of these for a long time.

The antenna need not be removed for installation of any of these parts.

It is nice having the lift mechanism work properly. I was holding the antenna in the up position by tying it to the handle by the door. Needless to say, that limits the directions that the antenna may point. It also interferes with the awning.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
I like all of the interesting ideas. I also like the clean look after removing the antenna.

May I add a question to all. I am a new owner of a '85 Sovereign. Where is the hook up for cable on the outside? Also has any one replaced the antenna with the manual Winegard dish mounted in the same place?

thanks, Bill
Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign42 View Post
I am having the same problem with my old antenna. It is stuck in one place, fortunately down, and I can't get it up.

Joan
That can tend to happen with older units. I have heard that if it is stuck in the up position for more than four hours you should call your doctor.