Old 09-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Springfield , Missouri
Seeking antenna or parts for 66 Trade Wind

I'm rebuilding a 66 Trade Wind. One of the coolest features is the hand-cranked antenna on the street side front corner--which, unfortunately, is missing on mine. I have the crank unit on the inside, but need just about everything else. I'd buy it all in any condition so I can re-engineer it.
If you are converting away from this type of antenna, or if you know of a source of NOS or new manufacture replacement, please let me know.

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have some parts from a '68 that may work. I have the exterior cast aluminum crank box and poles that fit to the box. The rest of the antenna was missing.

I also have an original radio.

Let me know if you are interested.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks, Ironwood. I'm definitely interested in all antenna parts (including brackets, if you have them). Would you please contact me off-list at josephpmirantijr@yahoo.com with price including shipping?
Joe
Old 09-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hello jmiranti, Welcome to the Air Forums. I call it Airstream Facebook! There are just lots of stories about people and their Airstream adventures.

I also have a 66 Trade Wind. It was missing the TV antenna, but I may have some parts. I'll look in the shop next time I'm down there. I don't watch TV and have no use for it. I do know that it is a challenge to find TV reception anymore. Cable service in campgrounds is becoming more rare. I see these dish satellite receivers most of the time. I think the TV antenna was an option on the Trade Wind in 66.

I've had mine for 2 years now. It needed a lot of work, and still need some work, but the major projects are done. My son had taken it out twice on 1000 mile trips and reports all systems are working. Mine is a twin bed layout with a front gaucho. I prefer the sitting and napping comfort of the gaucho, he prefers the dinette for his daughters.

You will have to learn how to post photos of your Trade Wind, I'd enjoy seeing it. Give me a shout if you have a question. I've had mine apart and back together again.

David

PS Well, for some reason Air Forums won't upload my pictures right now. I'll try again later.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Ditto the welcome. I'm another Missourian with '66 Tradewind. I'm doing a shell-off rehab. The frame was recently sandblasted. I have primed it and am in the middle of painting it. Next up will be new axles, subfloor and waste tanks. I'm doing the project at my nephew's in Pleasant Hill, about 30 miles southeast of KC. Sorry, but mine appears not to have ever had anything other than a radio antenna.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks to all for your replies and encouragement. If you have parts, please contact me at the email address posted above with price including shipping; I think I'll start accumulating to put together a rebuild, and then fabricate parts as needed.
I'm not sure yet what kind of antenna I will put on the mast; the original fold-up is pretty cool, and should be just fine for digital. If I can't find a specimen to work from, I may see if I can get my niece-the-rocket-scientist to help me design one like a spacecraft antenna--either should be just fine for digital TV. Alternatively, there are literally hundreds of soda-can/PringlesTM-can designs for WiFi antennas. Who knows, I may put several on the same mast.
Since the interior was trashed on this unit, we are redesigning it to a 60s space program theme, Project Gemini. We'll try to use elements from the first Airstream used as a mobile medical facility at the Cape during the Mercury and Gemini programs (as we can find them--details seem scarce) and from the Mobile Quarantine Facilities (MQF) used after the Apollo moon landings. All conceptual for now--gotta replace the floor and waste tank first, then the interior walls and the rest of the plumbing before we can even start on the cabinetry.
By the way, we are looking for an original front dinette (table under the front window flips down onto the benches to make the bed) instead of using the gaucho/sofa arrangement ours came with--if anyone has those parts to sell--again, any condition; there are lots of good cabinetmakers out there, and I'm not such a bad carpenter myself.
Long term job, I think; in the meantime we are buying a used 2010 Keystone Passport to do our first long RV trip this fall. Intent is to sell when the AS is complete.
Wish us luck.
Joe
Old 09-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Not sure if you are aware of it but the AS quarantine trailer is in the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Al.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Front dinette

Not sure if you are aware of this yet but the models in '66-'68 with the front dinette option were designed to convert the benches to twin beds. The table was hard mounted under the front window between the two benches/beds. The bench/bed by the entry door has a slide out extension that converts it into a full sized twin to match the other side when in sleep mode. The table never was originally designed to fit between the two bench/twin beds as a filler piece. I'm sure you could design something to covert the table to work as part of a large bed up front but that was never what the factory design was in the trailers when they were new. Where would you store the larger mattress? Also the original table leg was solid mounted to the table frame and was not a fold up or removable leg. The table had a slide feature to make it into a longer table for dining as the tabletop folded in half with a plastic hinge. Hope this info helps. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Interesting BigEd, my son's 69 Globetrotter has a front dinette where the table does fold down, and both the curb and street side cushion supports slide out to make a "twin" bed with the bottom cushion and back cushion laying flat. It also has the foot rest that slides out by the door like you mentioned. My Trade Wind twins are 35 by 75. My twin bed in the guest room in the house is 39 inches wide. The son's Globetrotter does not seem 35" wide. It's like sleeping on a park bench! But the kids like it.

jmiranti, search Touring Dan and his TV antenna project. I think his thread was Trade Wind Improvements or something like that. It is located in the Airstream Knowledge Base in Tradewind. He enjoys his Trade Wind a lot and uses it a lot. He installed a "bat wing" type TV antenna using the original mast. That read may be helpful to you.

Pictures of my Trade Wind

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Home Street Front.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	248664   Click image for larger version

Name:	1507 Fridge Installed.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	248665  

Old 10-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I see neddy has some TV antenna parts from his 57 Overlander he is trying to get rid off. They may fit your trailer. Here is a link to the thread I hope.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f97/...pt-110194.html

David