Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Charlottesville , Virginia
Searching for Satellite In (interior) for 2016 International

Hi. I'm looking to hook up an exterior DirecTV satelite and am not sure how to hook up to my receiver inside. The manual says "Your unit is pre-wired for a portable satellite antenna....The interior pre-wire, consisting of a 2-pin power/ground connector and a coax cable pigtail, is located in the front roof locker under the Blu-Ray Player."

I have removed the Blu Ray player and found it is really hard to access the cables underneath - there is only a small opening below the box where there is the HDMI splitter and cables for the Blu Ray. We've felt around in there and can't seem to find any loose cables or a coax hook-up. I was expecting to find (ideally) the male end of a coax that I could hook directly into my DirecTV receiver.

A couple of questions:
1) Does anyone know exactly what I should be looking for and where I might find it?

2) Should I remove all or part of the box housing the Blu Ray player and the HDMI splitter so I can look around? I'm not sure how involved this would be.

Thanks in advance.
BugsyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Ok. Maybe disregard this one. My wife kept at it with her smaller hands and wrists and eventually found the male end of a coax that was actually labeled nicely. Why the bury it in a box with a tiny opening is a mystery to me. Thanks anyway!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
The white box is held by four screws, remove them & lift up the box including the Blu Ray, under it is the provided AS splitter, it only has one input for the Blu Ray & two outputs for each TV. Replace that splitter with a 2x2 splitter so both BR & dish box can be plugged in via HDMI cables.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the thought.

If I do replace the HDMI splitter, will my TV automatically give me options of HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 (Blu Ray or DirecTV) or how does it switch between the inputs.

James
Old 02-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyJ View Post
Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the thought.

If I do replace the HDMI splitter, will my TV automatically give me options of HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 (Blu Ray or DirecTV) or how does it switch between the inputs.

James
My splitter has a infra red remote control, its a small remote labeled 1 & 2 & I just press the button to switch between blue ray & tv. I purchased it online for $35.
With the infra red the splitter it can remain hidden but still be functional.
TAC FL-47
Old 02-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Glenwood Springs , Colorado
Satellite dish hookup.

I just did this to my 2016 Classic. I also could not find the 2 pin 12 volt wire. The coax cable was right there as it was supposed to be. I bought 2 X 4 Monoprice splitter. It is capable of both 12 and 120 volt hookup. If you call Jackson Center they will send you a copy of instructions for doing this electrical work. I should also mention that I bought my splitter from Airstream for slightly over $200.00. I ended up plugging the splitter into an 120 volt outlet that was available tight by my bluray player. You can also buy the splitter from Riverpark electronics in Indiana. Probably saving you some money. The system works just fine.
I hope this helps.
schoochie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Okay now you have piqed my intrest. On the exterior shell are two inputs one for cable and one for satelite. Where does the input for the satelite connection end? I have DirectTV at home do I just take the receiver with me and purchase a portable antenna such as a Winegard or King? Or do I need and seperate receiver?

If I need a seperate receiver can I just carry my DirectTV card and use it?
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Glenwood Springs , Colorado
The coax for the satellite ends in the coax input on the back of your receiver. You can take a receiver from home. I have a Winguard Carry-Out that automatically acquires the satellite signal. I hope I answered your question.
Thanks!
schoochie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Okay I know "The coax for the satellite ends in the coax input on the back of your receiver." but where does the coax end inside the airstream?

I have a Genie HD DVR do you know if that works and do I have to carry the SWiM Power Inserter to use with the Winguard Carry-Out?
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Rick and Lonna - I'm going through this entire set-up. Taking a DirecTV genie receiver from home, making sure I get an HD compatible dish, etc. Message me separately and I can tell you what I know so far.

James
Old 02-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2010 19' Flying Cloud
2003 28' Classic
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Timely thread.....just picked up my 2016 Flying Cloud from the dealer (after they had it for 3 months waiting on parts for warranty work). One of the items on my list was for the service tech to show me exactly how to hook up the satellite. He unscrewed the panel holding the radio unit and pulled out a cable cord from a nest of wires and told me that I would need to connect it to the receiver. Great....there is no room that particular cabinet to hold the receiver. He told me that he could probably get it set up correctly with an additional HDMI cord so everything would work properly (and leave the receiver in the adjoining cabinet. Hard to spend $60K on a camper and still have incur additional expense to have satellite work properly.
BulldogX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogX5 View Post
Timely thread.....just picked up my 2016 Flying Cloud from the dealer (after they had it for 3 months waiting on parts for warranty work). One of the items on my list was for the service tech to show me exactly how to hook up the satellite. He unscrewed the panel holding the radio unit and pulled out a cable cord from a nest of wires and told me that I would need to connect it to the receiver. Great....there is no room that particular cabinet to hold the receiver. He told me that he could probably get it set up correctly with an additional HDMI cord so everything would work properly (and leave the receiver in the adjoining cabinet. Hard to spend $60K on a camper and still have incur additional expense to have satellite work properly.
Read my posts #3 & 5 regarding this issue.
TAC FL-47
Old 02-16-2016, 04:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
Okay now you have piqed my intrest. On the exterior shell are two inputs one for cable and one for satelite. Where does the input for the satelite connection end? I have DirectTV at home do I just take the receiver with me and purchase a portable antenna such as a Winegard or King? Or do I need and seperate receiver?

If I need a seperate receiver can I just carry my DirectTV card and use it?

We take a Direct box from home, simply put it in the AS and hook it up to our portable antenna we carry in the back of the truck. Set them up, let the antenna pick up the sats and good to go. If we travel across the country and then hook up it may take 10 minutes to get it going but it does work and works fine. I've removed the white box so many times I can no longer screw it back in, so it just sits there. I put the Direct box on top, and when we travel a pillow on top of the box which holds everything in place. When I want to play a movie I change connections manually by unhooking the Sat and hooking up the BluRay
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , Texas
He means where does it end NOW. So he can find it. If he has not yet hooked it up and is wondering where it ends, he may want to know where did it end when he drove it off the lot.
Beaerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyJ View Post
Hi. I'm looking to hook up an exterior DirecTV satelite and am not sure how to hook up to my receiver inside. The manual says "Your unit is pre-wired for a portable satellite antenna....The interior pre-wire, consisting of a 2-pin power/ground connector and a coax cable pigtail, is located in the front roof locker under the Blu-Ray Player."

I have removed the Blu Ray player and found it is really hard to access the cables underneath - there is only a small opening below the box where there is the HDMI splitter and cables for the Blu Ray. We've felt around in there and can't seem to find any loose cables or a coax hook-up. I was expecting to find (ideally) the male end of a coax that I could hook directly into my DirecTV receiver.

A couple of questions:
1) Does anyone know exactly what I should be looking for and where I might find it?

2) Should I remove all or part of the box housing the Blu Ray player and the HDMI splitter so I can look around? I'm not sure how involved this would be.

Thanks in advance.
This appears to be an ongoing issue. We just got our 2018 27' Flying Cloud, and I couldn't see any satellite pre-wiring behind the DVD player. Tomorrow I'm trying the trick of having my wife feel around with her tiny hands! It's a poor arrangement.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
You may as well just remove the white box that houses the BluRay. As someone suggested earlier in this chain, it was only 3 or 4 screws to take out and then you have better access to everything.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
Okay I know "The coax for the satellite ends in the coax input on the back of your receiver." but where does the coax end inside the airstream?

I have a Genie HD DVR do you know if that works and do I have to carry the SWiM Power Inserter to use with the Winguard Carry-Out?
Per the Carryout G2+ support page:
DIRECTV Receiver Compatibility
The Carryout G2+ antenna is not compatible with DIRECTV
SWM-only receivers (e.g. H25 or HR34). If you have a SWMonly
technology receiver, Winegard Model SWM-840 kit is
available. This SWM kit will allow for proper SWM technology
operation with Winegard mobile satellite TV antennas.

Also, this antenna will not get HD on DirecTV. To the best of my knowledge there are only two ways to do that - buy a home SWM dish and put it on a tripod mount on the ground adjacent to the trailer or install the Trav'ler rooftop automatic antenna.

Apparently if you get the SWM-840 kit you can use the Genie (main unit only, not Clients) receiver with the G2+ but you won't get HD, and you may not get locals.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #18
Creggster

2013 28' International
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
This appears to be an ongoing issue. We just got our 2018 27' Flying Cloud, and I couldn't see any satellite pre-wiring behind the DVD player. Tomorrow I'm trying the trick of having my wife feel around with her tiny hands! It's a poor arrangement.
Did you find it. I tried same thing and still no luck. And the box is totally glued together. No screws.
casandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
"And the box is totally glued together. No screws."
....the box is glued together, but there should be screws attaching it to the interior of that cabinet. At least, that's the way the 2016 model worked.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #20
Creggster

2013 28' International
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casandel View Post
Did you find it. I tried same thing and still no luck. And the box is totally glued together. No screws.
I called airstream. On the left side of the box there are 2 small white covers covering the screws. Once you remove those screws you can lift the box and there it is. They also sent me hook up instructions and its working beautifully.
casandel is offline   Reply With Quote