Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #29

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I have had DirecTV since they were a start-up. I have a bunch of receivers at home, and opted to use it in my new Classic. For ease of operation, I elected to install a Winegard Trav'lr on the roof of the trailer. (Hauling a box outside and going through more wire laying and collecting on departure was just one more task.) I did put down the mounting plate first. The installation is not difficult at all, just takes time and a plan for running the two cables -- one for the TV, one for the box that operates the dish. Since I hooked the electrical into my inverter, the system operates in the boondocks. My main motivator for satellite TV was because off air is sketchy, depending on where I am, and I REALLY like being able to get favorite programs no matter where I'm camping -- especially news. With both Sirius/XM and DirecTV I can remain in touch with the "world." If I'm in a heavily treed campsite, DirecTV can be iffy.

Sounds like your experience with off air is much like mine. I went with the movable dish due to the cost, not wanting roof penetrations, and the ability to camp at most any site with the ability to adjust for tree cover. Hard to believe but every site where I have camped since getting the Tailgater would not have worked if I had a unit mounted on my trailer. I guess I just like wooded campgrounds...

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
The G2 is more expensive since it can handle both DirecTv and Dish. An X1 Dish bundle like this Amazon.com: Winegard PA2000R Pathway X1 White Antenna/ViP 211Z Receiver Bundle: Automotive is less expensive as it just does DISH.

As mentioned earlier the big plus if you are sports junky is that DirecTv has the major sports leagues locked up so you won't get an NFL all games pass on DISH.

Downside with DirecTv is that HD with a small dome is not possible. Either a manually pointed tripod mounted dish, something like the Winegard Travel'r, or if you have the really really big AS or bus you can get something that is used on yachts from KVH, dome is about 25" in diameter and you can make phone calls. Of course their service costs are also out of this world.

I work from the AS and like to have national news on during the day. So DISH with an X1 at $7 for the service for the added box was an easy choice. And the wife still gets all of her stuff at home base.

ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #31

Fenton , Missouri
Gary,
If you know the G2, does it require a separate power connection to the unit itself or can it get power through the receiver?

I know King sells a more expensive unit that has the same shape as the Tailgater that receives both Dish and Direct. It has the same restriction regarding not being able to deliver HD from Direct. I considered this unit just in case I decided to move to Direct in the future, but the lack of HD and a flirtation to Direct (which I cancelled prior to installation due to the fact that the salesperson misstated the service level that I would receive), made me stick with Dish.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #32

Fenton , Missouri
One of the things that is indispensable when using a portable satellite dish is the ability to find the satellites from your service provider. When dealing with trees and other obstacles, trying to place a portable unit is difficult. The biggest reason is that most services use multiple satellites to deliver programming. With a typical fixed dish, your installer aims the dish for you. Due to that fixed dish having a larger size and multiple LNBs, all of the required satellites can be "seen". With a portable unit that has the ability to aim itself, the actual dish moves to the proper satellite based on your channel selection. It's a remarkable piece of technology, but it has to be able to have a clear sky to see the satellites.

I use this piece of technology with either my iPhone or iPad. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/satf...599997782?mt=8

It basically turns on your phone camera and superimposes the satellites on your screen relative to the view that your camera sees. All you need to do is identify the satellites that your service uses and mark those as your preferred satellites. Those are highlighted when you view the sky. At that point its just a matter of walking your campsite, pointing your phone or iPad to the southwest and looking for the area where the satellites are not being blocked by trees or other obstacles. If you see the superimposed satellites in trees, the location won't work. This really only takes minutes to do. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/satf...599997782?mt=8

Here's a picture of my iPad pointed out the front door of my home. The bright green dots are the Dish satellites that my Tailgater needs to see clearly. In this case you will see a tree limb blocking one satellite. This means that some of the channels would be missing. If I were at a site, I'd walk a little to the left to get a view around that tree. At my home that would be the left side of my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	238910  
AIR #56
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
The G2 needs a separate power supply. It comes with a 50ft 12V power cord. So you need an accessible 12V source as well as hooking it up to the coax connection on the AS.

I had DirecTv for years. As I looked at the choices for the AS, deciding not to go with the Winegard Travel'r, I switched the home over to DISH and did the X1 for the AS.

And the app Jack mentions is the 'cats meow' when it comes to trying to dodge tree limbs.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #34
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Considering the program content I am not sure either one is really worth the money. I currently have Dish but have found that the parks that offer cable is for the most part just as good and easier to deal with.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
One thing to keep in mind: The Winegard Trav'ler for Directv when mounted on the roof of the Airstream and deployed, is about 25" across and 14' off the ground. It is much bigger and much higher off the ground than an external Dish Tailgater.

This allows the Trav'ler antenna the ability to get a good signal even in bad weather or through moderate foliage. Personally I have never had foliage or weather prevent me from getting a satellite signal and I don't purposely park in barren spots. I have shade trees most of the time over the Airstream when I camp and the Trav'ler does just fine.

However the smaller Tailgater placed on the ground, while mobile, still is much more sensitive to foliage and weather.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
I have an app for my iPhone called "Dish for My RV". It shows the location of the satellites in the sky, which makes it easy to properly position the Tailgater where it is free from interference.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #37

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
One thing to keep in mind: The Winegard Trav'ler for Directv when mounted on the roof of the Airstream and deployed, is about 25" across and 14' off the ground. It is much bigger and much higher off the ground than an external Dish Tailgater.

This allows the Trav'ler antenna the ability to get a good signal even in bad weather or through moderate foliage. Personally I have never had foliage or weather prevent me from getting a satellite signal and I don't purposely park in barren spots. I have shade trees most of the time over the Airstream when I camp and the Trav'ler does just fine.

However the smaller Tailgater placed on the ground, while mobile, still is much more sensitive to foliage and weather.
I picked this answer up off the DBS satellite forum. It has a little more information regarding size of the dish and its effect on signal quality. It's a little more technical but this might be helpful.

"The role of antenna size in the REDUCTION OF interference and NOISE because it is that aspect that affects signal quality even in good weather conditions. It is NOT just about signal strength it is about SIGNAL to NOISE RATIO and the larger antenna REDUCES the amount of noise captured by the antenna, which means the signal to noise ratio is better, which means the Bit Error Ratio (BER) is better, which means the SIGNAL quality is better."

So bigger is better but in other posts I did read that there is a limit to size where the benefits derived were not worth the cost of the larger dish.

In my experience so far I have gotten good service level never yet experienced any weather related fades, unlike as my service at home. While I have been out in the rain, I tend to camp either during the drier times of the year, or more in the northern states where storms aren't quite as intense as we have here in St. Louis where rain fade isn't unusual. What's interesting is that my usual loss of service at home comes in advance of heavy rain (maybe 5 minutes before it hits). Not when it's actually pouring down at my home. Most of our heavy weather moves from southwest to northeast as it travels up frontal boundaries. It truly points out how concentrated those signals are as those storms cross into the satellite transmission signal beams.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
In my experience so far I have gotten good service level never yet experienced any weather related fades, unlike as my service at home. While I have been out in the rain, I tend to camp either during the drier times of the year, or more in the northern states where storms aren't quite as intense as we have here in St. Louis where rain fade isn't unusual.
A lot also depends on what bird is broadcasting your feed. Some of the older satellites are weaker and grow weaker the longer they are in use. The newer satellites output more power and provide better signal. Both Directv and Dish spread their programing over several satellites, so if the show you are watching is on a weak bird it will lose signal much more easily in poor weather.

Also the farther you are from the center of the US, the weaker the broadcast signal you will receive. This is because the signal is beamed in an oval pattern that covers the lower 48. The center is strongest and it is weaker on the outer fringes. I think Alaska is covered by a completely different set of satellites and is spot beamed for that state. Not sure about Hawaii.

Locals are spot beamed to their respective broadcast area.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Jack,

Thanks for the link to the app. It ends the guesswork. I tried to do it with a compass, but i still had to move the dish twice before i got signal

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #40

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Jack,

Thanks for the link to the app. It ends the guesswork. I tried to do it with a compass, but i still had to move the dish twice before i got signal

Al

Al, if you have a Dish Tailgater it will only aim towards the western arc satellites. Those highlighted satellites in the picture I attached in my post are the 3 Dish network satellites that you need to look for. Dish also has eastern arc satellites but those normally used by folks with a non moveable dish who live east of the Mississippi. There is an overlap here in the Midwest where either set of satellites are acceptable for fixed dishes. Because the Tailgater is a western arc device, you would experience problems with reception in the New England region of the country due to the angle of the western arc satellites in the sky.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Jack,
I have DirecTV and use a manually pointed slimline dish on a tripod to get HD. I'll dig that out and point it manually for the price difference between it and a Trav'ler at $1500.

I line up on the 101 degree west bird to get the global beam stuff. Some is on the 99 and 103 as well, I think. I don't know the limits of my local spot beam, but I'll be testing it when I go out around home.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 PM   #42

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Jack,
I have DirecTV and use a manually pointed slimline dish on a tripod to get HD. I'll dig that out and point it manually for the price difference between it and a Trav'ler at $1500.

I line up on the 101 degree west bird to get the global beam stuff. Some is on the 99 and 103 as well, I think. I don't know the limits of my local spot beam, but I'll be testing it when I go out around home.

Al

Spot beam info for Direct Is here. http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/184044-...print-library/

These beams in some cases are pretty big. I was shocked to pick up the St. Louis spot beam for Dish up near Bloomington Illinois at the Moraine View rally. That's about 215 miles. The Direct spot beam just about gets to Chicago.

Jack

AIR #56