Old 05-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Has anyone with the Dish Tailgater found that you have to run the cable directly to the receiver instead of to the plugin outside the AS? I was told that there could be no connections in the line. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
I have RV Pay as you go DISH account. It allows up to 3 free changes of address per month so you receive locals wherever you are (weather alerts) I pay in advance of each month I am traveling, and let it run out. It is supposed to be a lifetime account with no cost when I am not using it. HD is best on Dish. I have Direct at my home, they are not very cost effective if hd is imoortant due to antennae.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Well I've had every version of satellite dish for a motorhome that has ever existed that works for DirecTV. I've always been an AV geek and TV addict to the point I've had DirecTV since it came out and also have full service Xfinity...(excessive, yah...I get that a lot)

So I started with a Winegard carryout manual dish (the domed ones didn't even exist back then) and I was simply able to take my receiver (actually I bought another receiver because at the time they had a keycard thingie that gave the receiver access) from my house to my RV and voila. Mind you back then aiming the dish manually was a pain in the +(#@....but times have changed.

My current setup is I have a Winegard Minimax in-motion for traveling so someone can watch TV going down the road (I've added another TV to my XC diesel...and am currently reworking the main to have a drop down 50" installed like my parent's have in their Newell). For when we get to the campground I fire up the Winegard Trav'lr. The Trav'lr is the only dish that can get DirecTV's HD programming outside of KvH made satellites. I have a KvH on my toad (Hummer H2). It's HD and in-motion but EXTREMELY expensive. (my friend owns my RV dealership so I get the friend's and family discount or I wouldn't even think about dropping nearly $3k on a sat for my SUV)

What I can recommend financially is using DirecTV at your home and RV on the same account. DirecTV actually has "DirecTV for Travelers" accounts and the two receivers in my XC are able to get network channels (not the local channels per se, if I want to watch the local news in whatever town I'm at I just raise my antenna with the Winegard Roadtrip HD adapter)....but DirecTV has network channels based out of Chicago (I think) you can get while on the road for ABC, NBC, etc.

So unlike 99% of the population I've never had problem with Comcast until recently and I've just decided (literally today) that I'm canceling their cable service and only keeping them for internet. One option while traveling if you have a REALLY good internet plan (or always stay at parks with good WiFi) is that EVERY cable/satellite service has an app or website where you can watch you programming on a laptop, iPad, etc...but be warned, if you're not on WiFi watching an hour long show in HD will blow though 2 gigs of data lickety split.

If you have any other questions just shoot me a message on here. I was the AV geek in high school and nothing's changed, lol

Happy Streaming!!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We have Direct, had it in a Motorhome as well. We simply take one box from home and that becomes our Airstream Sat connection. Have not used in the new AS yet, but plan on it next week. In the motorhome with a roof mount antenna it was flawless. We did not have local TV, but had everything else we wanted. I think we pay and extra $5.00 a month to use the Direct box remotely, but not sure can check if you need as my finance person does all that (wife).
Same here with me. Dish has HD but Direct has a better channel selection, and I have had both. Direct TV is my choice since it only costs $5 for my AS receiver.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mldun View Post
Has anyone with the Dish Tailgater found that you have to run the cable directly to the receiver instead of to the plugin outside the AS? I was told that there could be no connections in the line. Thanks!
Not for me. I have a port that normally is looped that I can hook into. This bypasses the antenna amplifier circuit which can interfere with the signal that has to pass between the dish and the receiver. Here's a picture of how I hook up inside. Different models and vintages of A/S have different methods in bypassing the antenna amplifier.

I connect my satellite receiver to the cable/satellite in port as shown in the picture. When I am using the antenna, the short jumper cable plugs into that same port and I get the signal from the coax output in the jack on the left.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	238882  
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleenwl View Post
We have found that taking a few DVD's with us is enough. Found out it was easy to buy & buy but really didn't watch very many again at home. Now we are enjoying again. Our DVD holders carry 50 movies, very compact to store in overhead closet in AS. We take one set in on return, then trade out for another set for next trip. After a full day out & about, nice to have these on board. Do not store permanetly in A.S.
We have xfinity/ Comcast at home. Verizon for Ipads & cell phones. Enough cost already spent. This was our solution.

Colleen
We found an Insignia HD TV at Best Buy that has a built in DVD player. We got it on sale for about $150. Won't play Blueray but we got a lot of DVD's at home that aren't in that format. We used to carry a small DVD play but it always was a mess to use since we had to pull it out and deal with the cabling to the TV.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-21-2015, 03:04 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Is this the Tailgater that people are referring to? DISH Tailgater Satellite Antenna - KING VQ2500 - Satellite Antennas - Camping World Do you put it outside to use it, but carry it in the aisle or under the table of the Airstream when traveling or otherwise not in use? While compact, it does seem like having yet another piece of loose equipment to deal with every day.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:11 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Not for me. I have a port that normally is looped that I can hook into. This bypasses the antenna amplifier circuit which can interfere with the signal that has to pass between the dish and the receiver. Here's a picture of how I hook up inside. Different models and vintages of A/S have different methods in bypassing the antenna amplifier.

I connect my satellite receiver to the cable/satellite in port as shown in the picture. When I am using the antenna, the short jumper cable plugs into that same port and I get the signal from the coax output in the jack on the left.

Jack
Jack - Do you use your Tailgater or other satellite dish inside the Airstream? Does it sit on top of your refrigerator cabinet, probably behind the television, when in use? (That is where the connections like you show in your photo are located in my Safari.)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
We have been considering a Winegard G2 antenna because it can be used with either service provider, can be used as a portable or mounted permanent on the Airstream, and it's small. Apparently it can only provide HD tv with Dish service provider though.

Comments?

cheryl
The Winegard G2 seems pretty pricey: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...&ved=0CJcBEL4k
Old 05-21-2015, 06:25 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mldun View Post
If you have two ports outside-one for cable, one for satellite, my experience was that the coax had been switched when installed. Try connecting the Tailgater to the cable port and see if that gives you signal.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #25

Fenton , Missouri
Satellite TV, Dish or Direct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Jack - Do you use your Tailgater or other satellite dish inside the Airstream? Does it sit on top of your refrigerator cabinet, probably behind the television, when in use? (That is where the connections like you show in your photo are located in my Safari.)

The way it works is the Tailgater unit is positioned outside the trailer in an area that has a clear view of the Dish satellites. From that unit I have a 50' cable that attaches to the Tailgater and connects to the coax connected that Airstream provides on the outside of my Classic. Inside my trailer next to my television which sits on top of my food storage cabinet I have the small Dish 211z receiver. It plugs into that jack on the wall as shown in my picture called cable/sat in. The 211z has RCA outputs or HDMI to plug into your television. I use the HDMI. I strongly recommend using the 211z receiver rather than the 211k because of the 211z's smaller size. I've attached a picture of the receiver when I originally tried out the receiver at home.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432216051.587786.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	238902. I also have a picture of the Tailgater unit. I was watching a baseball game at my storage location.

JackClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432215774.426576.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	238901
AIR #56
Old 05-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #26

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
The Winegard G2 seems pretty pricey: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...&ved=0CJcBEL4k

One review notes that this unit requires separate power which might be an issue. Check this out carefully. The Tailgater unit built by King antenna gets its power from the Dish receiver through the coax signal cable.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #27
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have had DirecTV since they were a start-up. I have a bunch of receivers at home, and opted to use it in my new Classic. For ease of operation, I elected to install a Winegard Trav'lr on the roof of the trailer. (Hauling a box outside and going through more wire laying and collecting on departure was just one more task.) I did put down the mounting plate first. The installation is not difficult at all, just takes time and a plan for running the two cables -- one for the TV, one for the box that operates the dish. Since I hooked the electrical into my inverter, the system operates in the boondocks. My main motivator for satellite TV was because off air is sketchy, depending on where I am, and I REALLY like being able to get favorite programs no matter where I'm camping -- especially news. With both Sirius/XM and DirecTV I can remain in touch with the "world." If I'm in a heavily treed campsite, DirecTV can be iffy.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #28

Fenton , Missouri
Satellite TV, Dish or Direct?

Quote:

The way it works is the Tailgater unit is positioned outside the trailer in an area that has a clear view of the Dish satellites. From that unit I have a 50' cable that attaches to the Tailgater and connects to the coax connected that Airstream provides on the outside of my Classic. Inside my trailer next to my television which sits on top of my food storage cabinet I have the small Dish 211z receiver. It plugs into that jack on the wall as shown in my picture called cable/sat in. The 211z has RCA outputs or HDMI to plug into your television. I use the HDMI. I strongly recommend using the 211z receiver rather than the 211k because of the 211z's smaller size. I've attached a picture of the receiver when I originally tried out the receiver at home.Attachment 238902. I also have a picture of the Tailgater unit. I was watching a baseball game at my storage location.

JackAttachment 238901

AIR #56