Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Satellite Radio Antenna Install

Hello all,

I wanted to add XM radio to my AS, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to mount an antenna on the roof and thread it through to the OEM audio deck on my 23' Safari FB SE.

I want to get the antenna connector right to the deck so that I can plug it into my satellite radio reciever and then connect my receiver to the aux input on the deck.

A few caveats. I'm a neat freak when it comes to wires. I like installation jobs to hide the wires as much as possible, and to make them very neat where they can't be hidden. Also, I know that I could use FM modulation on the sat. receiver and tune in on my OEM deck and place it elsewhere but I'm not interested in this sort of set up.

Would it be possible to mount the sat antenna on the roof near the FM antenna and thread it though the same channel?

Another question. I have a portable boom box that I can plug my XM receiver directly into. On a recent camping trip, I noticed that it was still picking up a signal inside my AS while it was sitting on the table and placed directly against the window (with the awning down even). Typically, it won't pick up any signal without an unobstructed view of the sky.

I was in the middle of Algonquin Park, so there was no chance that I was picking up a signal from one of XM's terrestrial antennas.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
Any help would be much appreciated.

R.
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
1998 19' Bambi
livingston , Texas
sat radio

If you have the xm in your vechile all you need is the remote transmitter that plugs in the xm raceiver in the car and to a plug in the car that stays hot.
Pick a FM channel that has no station using it where you are. go in you trailer and set that channel on your radio and you should get the xm station.
You will have to go out to the car to chg xm channels.
bike 2 eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Neat Installation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_Guy View Post
Hello all,

I wanted to add XM radio to my AS, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to mount an antenna on the roof and thread it through to the OEM audio deck on my 23' Safari FB SE.

I want to get the antenna connector right to the deck so that I can plug it into my satellite radio reciever and then connect my receiver to the aux input on the deck.

A few caveats. I'm a neat freak when it comes to wires. I like installation jobs to hide the wires as much as possible, and to make them very neat where they can't be hidden. Also, I know that I could use FM modulation on the sat. receiver and tune in on my OEM deck and place it elsewhere but I'm not interested in this sort of set up.

Would it be possible to mount the sat antenna on the roof near the FM antenna and thread it though the same channel?
In a word, yes.

What you have described is exactly how the roof mounted satellite radio antenna is wired in our trailer. We ordered this option for the trailer; it came this way.

You can get to the rear of the radio area in the overhead cabinet quite easily by taking one of the side panels off of the compartment in which the radio is mounted.

To the rear of the radio you will find a large hole in the interior aluminum skin where all of the wires to/from the radio enter the compartment. When I got into this area I used a label maker to add name tags to each of the incoming/outgoing wires. This was fairly easy because the wire leads from the Sony radio had ID on them.

Our Sirius radio is mounted in the compartment to the right of the radio. We also have a CD changer in this area. You will need to get 12 V to this area for the radio to operate. You should be able to get this from the supply for the A/FM radio. You will have to drill holes in the panel that goes between this open compartment and the closed radio compartment for the wires.

From the roof you will have a challenge to get the wire for the antenna to the area where the hole in the interior skin behind the radio is located. You will have to remove the radio to get enough room to do this. If your radio is the same model as ours, this is not a difficult task. Hint: after you get the two radio release levers in position, push from the rear of the radio and it will slide right out. I found pulling on the release levers per the instructions was very difficult and did not work well. This, of course, is after the face plate has been removed.

Hope this helps.

If need be, PM me and we can go to email for pictures/details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_Guy View Post
Another question.

I have a portable boom box that I can plug my XM receiver directly into. On a recent camping trip, I noticed that it was still picking up a signal inside my AS while it was sitting on the table and placed directly against the window (with the awning down even). Typically, it won't pick up any signal without an unobstructed view of the sky.

I was in the middle of Algonquin Park, so there was no chance that I was picking up a signal from one of XM's terrestrial antennas.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
Any help would be much appreciated.

R.
PFM, from my perspective. I have never been able to get a satellite signal when the antenna was obstructed in any fashion; even by "leafy" trees.

Good luck.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
thru the roof vent

I installed an XM radio in our 1999 30' classic two years ago. I don't know if your unit has the same layout as ours.

We have a roof vent in the center of the front 'living room' area, and a transverse gaucho in front, with a roofline cabinet above the gaucho. The stereo is in that cabinet. So, I put the antenna on the roof, just in front of the roof vent. Fortunately for me, I was installing a new MaxxFan at the time, so I didn't have to work the wiring around the existing vent.

Because the location of the vent is about 4' from the front console where the stereo is, I reasoned that I could work the wire through the headliner with a wire. In fact, there was already a wire running there, so it was tedious but it still worked. No wires show anywhere.

Its worked like a charm since. Because the XM antenna is magnetic (which doesn't work real well with aluminum) I bonded it to the roof with caulk, and sealed the area where is goes in under the MaxxFan frame.

No problems since.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Maple Valley , Washington
I have just heard there will be a new Sat receiver coming out next year with the merged companies. You may want to wait? Could be a bluetooth design or something really cool.

The current XM programming is now a hybrid of the two merged companies. It only makes sense to make one receiver.

Good luck, James
paxflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
bunker hill , Indiana
testing..
thatscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
XM Antenna Install

To avoid cutting a hole in the roof of our 2005 Classic 31, we mounted the XM antenna inside the front skylight covered my the plastic trim. Ran the cable under an overhead seam cover to the door side of the kitchen cabinet where we installed the radio mount. Power was run from the under cabinet light to power the radio. Just set the XM radio to an unused FM station and you're ready to go. The only problem you may encounter is if you are in heavy woods, but so far we have gotten great reception in every area we have stopped.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
One thing is for sure, you want to mount it in a place with a 360 degree view.

I mounted mine on the tongue, using the magnetic vehicle antenna. Of course the AS body is aluminum, so magnets will not stick. I wound it around the jack pole and stuck the magnet on the tongue. this way I can move it if it needs a better view at any stopping point. I ran the wire behind the rock guard, up into the front window, and inside the molding of the screen up to the top, where I drilled a discreet hole into the overhead bin where the receiver is installed. Works great.

I have the boom box too, yes it is rarely possible to get reception in some obstructed areas because some areas have repeaters, if you look at signal indicator it should show you both satelite signal and repeater signal if there is one.
78GussyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Thanks for all the advice! This will have to be a project for the spring now.

I prefer to use the aux input on my stereo. I want better sound quality than FM transmitters allow. I guess I have the winter to research my options before I come to a decision.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
Don't need Aux input

Toronto, you don't need to use your aux input for good reception. Buy an FM adapter made for your satellite radio. It plugs into your FM antenna jack in your stereo, then the antenna plugs into the adapter. Then just pick an FM channel and off you go with perfect reception. The adapter will "seize control" of that station, and even override signals in the locales you visit. It will be perefectly clear reception, at least as good as direct aux. I have used both, now I use the aux input for my stereo to pump satellite TV audio into it, and the FM adapter for the satellite radio.

And one more trick I learned -- if you locate the magnetic antenna remotely at a particular stop, wrap the wire once around the lever that locks your tongue to the ball. That will make sure you don't forget to pick it up when you leave.

Good luck!!

Steve
78GussyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78GussyTX View Post
Toronto, you don't need to use your aux input for good reception. Buy an FM adapter made for your satellite radio. It plugs into your FM antenna jack in your stereo, then the antenna plugs into the adapter. Then just pick an FM channel and off you go with perfect reception. The adapter will "seize control" of that station, and even override signals in the locales you visit. It will be perefectly clear reception, at least as good as direct aux. I have used both, now I use the aux input for my stereo to pump satellite TV audio into it, and the FM adapter for the satellite radio.

And one more trick I learned -- if you locate the magnetic antenna remotely at a particular stop, wrap the wire once around the lever that locks your tongue to the ball. That will make sure you don't forget to pick it up when you leave.

Good luck!!

Steve
Thanks again for the advice. I've been away from the forums for a bit. Being on here gives me the urge to take my AS on a trip. However, there's the small matter of making it through the rest of the winter to deal with first.

The direct FM connection matches the aux input for sound quality? That's good to know as it would allow me to hide more wires behind my head unit. I was considering getting an adaptor and using the CD changer aux input. I don't want to compromise on sound quality, or a clean installation, at all.

Cheers.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
AZ , Arizona
no it does not, the aux input gives a far superior signal full range than fm modulation. do it right if you still hear well. for gods sake don't buy a bose wave radio either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! take this from audio nut of some 45 years.
buffet breez is offline   Reply With Quote