Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Satellite Instructions for installation

I was never able to get my sattelite to work. I had the old dish from the house. An RV maintenance person looked at the LNB on the dish which video cable connects to and said it was cracked and would not work. I bought another sattelite dish (newer model) with three of those LNB pieces on the dish. There are so many cable hook ups to the dish because of three LNB's. I just do not know how to hook it up. I was told that all I would need is one cable running to one of those hook ups on the LNB's. Does anybody have a picture with instructions. I have the Elevation and Azimuth for the satellite. Can I just use one video cable from the LNB to my sattelite box?

Lothlorian
Old 06-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Lothlorian

We have Direct TV satellite at home, and we also have a three LNB setup. Our system has four cable hookups, and will work with just one cable attached to it, and it doesn’t care which connection is used.

The electronics of the LNB are powered from the satellite box. The LNB and satellite box seem to be able to sort out where the channels are and play them on the TV just fine. When you align the dish, you will need to have your satellite box tuned to the utility menu for dish alignment.

We have two DVR or TVO’s, and these require two cables to the satellite box’s to enable the recording one channel while you are watching a different channel feature. The TVO satellite box will work just fine without the second cable, but it will only play or record one channel at a time. The TVO will record as scheduled, but you will not be able to watch a different channel other than the one being recorded, at that time.

Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks, I am going to try to make it work today. It seems so simple but I just keep failing to get it to work.

Lothlorian
Old 06-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Haven't gotten mine going yet either. Simple setup, one LNB having two connections (either one is supposed to be good, they are there to support two sets).

The receiver is a known good one, it worked beautifully when we left home this week. The LNB and dish are brand new, from Bell (our sat supplier).

A neighbour even has a device for checking signal, basically a meter, and when run through my LNB attached to my dish at the co-ordinates that Bell gives for the rig, it gets a 100% signal, and yet, no joy, no signal on the receiver's "set-up the satellite" menu.

Many neighbours in the camp have Bell, and it works great for them.

And now the guy that sold me the LNB and dish isn't returning calls, to boot!

ps: to watch one channel while recording another requires two tuners. Your DVR/TVO must have both built in, I suppose. At home, I have had two receivers connected at the same set to be able to do that, but I can never keep up with the recordings I make, so never bothered to use that feature.