Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
SAMSUNG TV audio out

I've scanned a lot of threads and I can't seem to find anyone doing what I'm trying. So, here's my plea for help...

I want to install a Bose Solo 5 soundbar under my Samsung TV. The Bose can use optical in, so I am connected to the TV's optical out port on the back.

I'm using an LG bluray DVD player connected to the TV thru HDMI1 port. BTW, the Bose soundbar can accept coax audio, but there's no coax out on the TV, only digital optical.

When I select the DVD as source, video works great, nice picture quality. Audio plays thus TV speakers, but nothing comes out the Bose, even when I select external speakers in the TV setup menu.

When I select TV as source, I get great audio out of my Bose soundbar.

Spent a day trying all the setting, hookup combos I can imagine. Nothing produces optical out audio when source is HDMI.

Anyone know a solution for this, or should I just scrap the TV?

Appreciate your suggestions.
?
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
I purchased a Samsung 32, it was strange, you could not play the sound through the stock speakers ,the airstream tv has cables that somehow allow you to play through the speakera. I solved the issue, by using the bluetooth function of the new TV, which connects to the stereo. Review airstream nerds set up. It may assist you
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Depending on model TV, it can be as easy as when you press the volume button you'll see an arrow next to the volume number (on screen) press the directional arrow and this is where you select where the audio is directed, speakers, Bluetooth, optical multi.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Solved(?) the problem

On another thread, an AF member suggested tapping into the hacked RCA back channel coming out the rear panel of my Samsung. Apparently Airstream fiddled with the TV's internal wiring and tapped into the speakers.

I disconnected the RCA (white, red) plugs and then used an RCA combiner plug that fits the AUX port on the Bose. Works great. The only minor problem is that there's the possibility of an echo because the TV speakers cannot be shut off. However, so far the Bose out muscles the TV speakers--they're set very low--and I haven't heard any echos. The Bose is hung from the bottom of the TV, so it's only a couple inches from the TV speakers. If I detect an echo, I'll just duct tape the opening on the bottom of the TV.

The HDMI video from the LG bluray deck is beautiful, uses the full 720p capability of the Samsung screen.
Respect Each Other
Old 09-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I am starting to take the old 28 from the living room area and work out a solution to use it to swap out the 22 from my bedroom area with a Bose Solo 5. Thanks for this info regarding the internal speaker issues on the OEM TV. I will test and if I also cannot get it to work I will end up replacing with a new screen.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
I've played around with the Bose soundbar for a couple days now. It seems to be pretty optimized for movie audio. It handles base really and fills the salon area pretty well. Music is OK, not great. BUT, it is light years ahead of the Airstream speakers.
Respect Each Other
Old 09-27-2017, 02:40 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
I've played around with the Bose soundbar for a couple days now. It seems to be pretty optimized for movie audio. It handles base really and fills the salon area pretty well. Music is OK, not great. BUT, it is light years ahead of the Airstream speakers.

Hi Road Geezer-We met you during the potluck dinner at the Pinnacles rally last February! Read another post on a different thread that has exactly what you have. Thought this may help you if you still have questions. They're posts #81 and #91.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...-151995-6.html

Going to Jackson? We'll be there. Hope to see you! Cheers!

John

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #8
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Hi John, thanks for the references. They both hung their Bose sound bars pretty much the same way I did. I noticed that both are newer model screens, so I suspect they didn't encounter the audio connection problem I did. I'd like to use the optical out port, but the AUX-RCA is working pretty good; it just doesn't seem as mechanically rigid as the optical connector, but the sound is fine. If the AUX approach peters out, I'll have an excuse to get a newer screen.

Yes, we'll be at Jackson, #45 arriving Thursday. We're heading up to the high country next Monday morning for a few days camping and kayaking before mother nature closes things down.
Respect Each Other
Old 09-28-2017, 02:45 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
Hi John, thanks for the references. They both hung their Bose sound bars pretty much the same way I did. I noticed that both are newer model screens, so I suspect they didn't encounter the audio connection problem I did. I'd like to use the optical out port, but the AUX-RCA is working pretty good; it just doesn't seem as mechanically rigid as the optical connector, but the sound is fine. If the AUX approach peters out, I'll have an excuse to get a newer screen.

Yes, we'll be at Jackson, #45 arriving Thursday. We're heading up to the high country next Monday morning for a few days camping and kayaking before mother nature closes things down.

Nice way to gear up for the rally. We're at #61 arriving Friday. Love to see your sound bar set up!

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I finished my install this weekend and I found no issues with the optical out. Make sure you change the speaker settings in the TV menu

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Is there an easy plug & play sound bar?

Is there an easy way to attach a sound bar or other audio device to the Samsung Smart TV’s to boost the audio? We have a 2014 model.

TY

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
All Samsung TVs have audio outputs. Both digital (optical) and analog (RCA) outputs to seed whatever is on the TV screen sound into a sound bar. It's not complicated, however some of the less expensive sound bars now have multiple inputs and have to use their own remote control. That's what makes it complicated and hard, is having to use the sound bar remote for volume and the TV remote for channels.
I would recommend talking with the TV guys at Best Buy, or online with Crutchfield.com - my company recommends Sonos or Denon Heos sound bars because they will be controlled by the TV volume remote control. If you have satellite or cable in your trailer, then that remote is usually programmed to control the TV power and volume, and it will control those sound bars also.
johndpolk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndpolk37 View Post
All Samsung TVs have audio outputs. Both digital (optical) and analog (RCA) outputs to seed whatever is on the TV screen sound into a sound bar.
Are you sure about that? Neither of my 2 Airstream installed TVs have RCA audio outputs. Airstream did hack 2 RCA pigtails on one TV to the Clarion radio.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
Are you sure about that? Neither of my 2 Airstream installed TVs have RCA audio outputs. Airstream did hack 2 RCA pigtails on one TV to the Clarion radio.

Bruce
Well, now I will do more research!
Samsung LCD TV's since the 'C' series have had analog audio outputs. However, models produced specifically for aftermarket use have different features and software. These are usually built for Hospitality applications (commercial buildings: hotels, convention centers, hospitals), so possibly AS is procuring models that way. Although it would be odd they would have to modify TVs after custom ordering them.
There have been a few TV models that had analog headphone jacks instead of RCA jacks. This would allow the TV to be thinner. However, the internal speakers are bypassed when a headphone connector is plugged in. That would make it tough on AS tech support, requiring users to turn on the radio and switch to the TV or Aux input, just to hear a TV. Might be those TV models had to have the hack of bypassing the headphone jack to get the analog audio outputs...
But like I said at the beginning of this post... I need to do more research on which model TVs went into which year AS models. Samsung TVs change every 6 months depending on whether Marketing or Engineering has had better response with internal Sales meetings 😉
johndpolk37 is offline   Reply With Quote