Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have the same box above the credenza in my 1983 Excella. The amplifier in mine is not in that box but in the credenza below. It is a separate unit that takes the outfeed from there and is installed inline. It plugs in separately using an ordinary power cord. These amps are available at Radio Shack or WalMart and are not unusual.

The AM/FM radio wires are connected to a large lead like that from a car antenna and has a car antenna type connection to plug into a car stereo. It feeds a signal to the radio from the rooftop antenna and works great.

BTW, mine didn't have the coax connector, just the two holes for the flat wire connector. (See Brown 2 PIN Plug 13174 [13174] - $4.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!) I had to drill a hole and install a coax connector. It looks like someone has done that already for you.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I have the same box above the credenza in my 1983 Excella. The amplifier in mine is not in that box but in the credenza below. It is a separate unit that takes the outfeed from there and is installed inline. It plugs in separately using an ordinary power cord. These amps are available at Radio Shack or WalMart and are not unusual.

The AM/FM radio wires are connected to a large lead like that from a car antenna and has a car antenna type connection to plug into a car stereo. It feeds a signal to the radio from the rooftop antenna and works great.

BTW, mine didn't have the coax connector, just the two holes for the flat wire connector. (See Brown 2 PIN Plug 13174 [13174] - $4.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!) I had to drill a hole and install a coax connector. It looks like someone has done that already for you.
Thanks Vaughan, The powered amps from Radio Shack were the ones I was thinking about and I don't find one in my coach. The radio antenna lead makes sense and with the dash radio that is not a concern. The coax connector does seem to be added on as it is kind of squeezed in. My question is if the little circuit board is not an amp what is it?

Thanks, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It's kind of a signal splitter that separates the signal for radio and two TVs.

I'm getting ready to replace the original radio and seperate cassette deck (see credenza photo) with an iPhone ready JVC Arsenal KD-AHD79 unit. I have already upgraded the built-in speakers, so it will make a nice overall improvement.

The TV amp we were discussing are in the credenza to the left of the original stereo mounted to the wall over the Dish DVR.

I do like the wedge shaped box/outlet, too. Good photos you posted. I would like to have just the plastic part to add 12v outlets over the dinette table.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Dan, at the risk of getting off topic I rebuilt my existing credenza and removed that box, which was inside it. I also used the 12 volt plug and mounted it next to the stereo on my credenza, which might be handy for you as well. Check out my blog and you may get a few ideas.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Vaughan, Christopher, Thank you both for the info and your suggestions. In my moho I removed a very undersized dinette. The 280's had an optional set up with two barrel chairs and a fold out table mounted in an ABS structure attached to the wall. I have acquired two chairs from a 34.5 that may be a little larger than the original 280. I am building a narrow cabinet, about 4" wide along the wall with a 8" section in the middle where the table will live.

A 120v receptacle and this 12v/TV receptacle used to live in the exterior wall under the table. I'm trying to mount this stuff somewhere accessible without taking up too much space that I don't have. I found a shallow 120v box that is only about 2/Rd's as deep as the original. The whole thing is going together with a large shoe horn.

The base cabinet is in the garage getting some stain and varnish but as soon as it is in the coach I'll post a few pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks again for your help, Dan
Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I think I can visualize it. Basically a larger version of a typical RV drop down table with cabinet. Still, send me a PM when some photos are posted.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Dan,

I will be watching for your progress. I realize that it's a different set of rules in a 280.

My dinette is kind of small since my Excella is a narrow body, but it works well for me. I build a new table top at the same time I redid the credenza top to make room for my TV/monitor. I've got a new set of seats from a late model Classic that I got from Soldiermedic to replace those in the old photo, but I need to narrow them to account for the wide/narrow body difference and I just haven't done it yet. I also plan to replace the galley and bath counter tops to match, adding a stainless vessel in the bath.

Seems like plenty of projects and always interested in what others are doing.

Hope everything goes well.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Dan,

I will be watching for your progress. I realize that it's a different set of rules in a 280.

My dinette is kind of small since my Excella is a narrow body, but it works well for me. I build a new table top at the same time I redid the credenza top to make room for my TV/monitor. I've got a new set of seats from a late model Classic that I got from Soldiermedic to replace those in the old photo, but I need to narrow them to account for the wide/narrow body difference and I just haven't done it yet. I also plan to replace the galley and bath counter tops to match, adding a stainless vessel in the bath.

Seems like plenty of projects and always interested in what others are doing.

Hope everything goes well.
Well guys here are a couple of pics of my progress. In the first pic is the base cabinet. The ends will have sliding doors with cane centers and the wider center section is where the table will be the door when down. You can see the hole for the 120V box on the extended area next to the table top. The 12V/TV antenna box will be below the 120V box. On the table in front and to the right is the top almost ready for stain and varnish.

The next pic is the cabinet in the coach. You can see where I'm trying to hide the receptacles yet have them accessible. Not a real big deal other than trying to make it all fit. By the way the front of the coach is to the left in the pic.

Cheers, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2999.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	129073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3004.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	129074  

Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Here are a couple of pics of the almost finished cabinet. I need to build the sliding doors for the end sections but I have a few other projects I need to work on first. At least I have a table to eat at now.

Cheers, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3023.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	129326   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3026.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	129327