Old 02-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Aloha , Oregon
The Voyager system I just installed is a WVOS511 with WVCMS10B camera and AOM562 5.6" display.

Has worked great so far except the image on the display is Not reversed, as the literature led me to believe, and as one would expect to see when looking in a mirror. The image I see is as if I am looking out the back window of the trailer.

There must be a way to mirror it but neither the camera nor display docs say how. There is not an obvious switch nor menu. The image drives me bonk when driving as its just wrong, backwards from what to expect looking in a rearview mirror.

What's the trick to reverse the image?

My camera install looks like everyone else's, just below the center clearance light.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
I have a stupid question. If you run power off the clearance lights, won't you always have to have your lights on for the unit to work?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #17
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Yes. I use the parking lights.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The alternative is to run power from a circuit that is powering the camera all the time, unless the disconnect switch is off. Does that shorten the camera life? probably, IMO. I thought it out, since my rear section was off (due to body damage) at JC. I decided powering with the running lights was the way to go. JC ran the wires and drilled the shell for free for me during the panel replacement....and mounted the bracket.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by printman View Post
I have a stupid question. If you run power off the clearance lights, won't you always have to have your lights on for the unit to work?

Not stupid at all.

Yes. If you're like me - you love doing that anyway :-)

I don't know how else you could wire it without running something to the battery - but then maybe go with a wired camera at that point.

Is there a concern about driving with the running lights on?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #20
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We added a toggle switch inside the trailer that enables us to shut off the camera. This can be helpful if you're concerned about parasitic battery drains while boondocking with the batteries connected, or about running the camera when you don't need it.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
For those using the center clearance light. The previous photos show the camera mount below the clearance light but I don't see a cable running from the camera. Are the clearance light wires under the AS skin where you mount the camera? Or do fish the camera cable up through the skin to the clearance light hole?

How are you attaching the monitor, with a suction mount on The windshield?

Kelvin
Old 02-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My install has a small hole drilled just behind the camera. Mind you, I'm cheating, participating in this thread as mine is not a Voyageur. So, I also have an antenna wire running from the camera, through the same hole to a circular polarized antenna in the locker pointing to the front glass.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
Nothing wrong with driving with the lights on. Just thought you would want power all the time. But now that I think about it, it would be hard to find a 12v source of power that wasn't on all the time.
I like garybairs idea in thread #3 running it to an outlet but that would be a lot more work than just running it to the clearance light. Then you would have to install a switch also.
I looked on youtube and saw that they ran it to a clearance light also on an s.o.b.
What's Airstream's solution when you have them do it?
Old 02-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by printman View Post
Nothing wrong with driving with the lights on. Just thought you would want power all the time. But now that I think about it, it would be hard to find a 12v source of power that wasn't on all the time.

I like garybairs idea in thread #3 running it to an outlet but that would be a lot more work than just running it to the clearance light. Then you would have to install a switch also.

I looked on youtube and saw that they ran it to a clearance light also on an s.o.b.

What's Airstream's solution when you have them do it?

They connected to the center clearance light on mine (we had it done at the factory) - under the skin - it looks well, like factory :-)
Old 02-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Clearance lights for camera power is a good idea. I run with headlights on day and night so I can be seen.

It appears that a shiny 22 foot long Airstream being towed by a silver crew cab Toyota Tacoma is invisible in certain traffic situations (mostly in Phoenix, it appears) so I light her up when on the road.

It's not a significant load on the light circuit and it enhances visibility. Win-win in my mind. Having the rear view camera as a light reminder appeals to my engineering sense of humor as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
So to wire to the center clearance light is this the procedure?

Unscrew the center clearance light housing and pull it ou to expose the hole and wires.

Mount the camera below the clearance light and drill a 3/4" hole for the camera wire and grommet.

Push the camera wire through the hole and push it or use a fish tape to move it under the skin to the clearance light hole so you can pull it through.

Splice the camera wires to the clearance light wires.

Push the wires through and reattach the clearance light housing.

Kelvin
Old 02-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Aloha , Oregon
I would have run the power to the center clearance light (or any of them) but when I removed the light there was less than 1/2" of slack in the wire. I didn't want to take my chances pulling hard on it, for fear of tearing a connection loose inside. I called the local airstream shop and they said they don't wire to the clearance lights for that reason, so I chickened out on pulling hard on the wire to find enough slack.

Hence why I wired it up in the back closet - it really wasn't hard at all.

I still have the question of why the Voyager display is not in reversed/mirrored image. Any help on this?

What about those of you with Voyager systems - is the imaged mirrored for you, so what you expect when you look in a rear view mirror?

thanks all, Gary
Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Garybair - mine acts like a rear view mirror - that is - when I'm in the middle lane and look at the monitor, if a car is approaching my right side, it shows up on the right side on the monitor. If a car is passing on my left, it shows up on the left side of the monitor.

Are you saying yours does the opposite? I wonder if there's a setting for that - that just doesn't make sense!