Old 10-15-2006, 06:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I found a great site when looking for a stereo/monitor to install in the dash of Airstream One. is a NOS closeout site. Great deals and I think free shipping still applies on purchases over $249. I saved over $100 vs. eBay on the Pyle 7" LCD DVD controller. It even came with a backup camera function built in.
My Sirius sat. radio is fed into the aux. channel so I have my music anywhere... no direct ipod connection though but that's something I don't have....yet!

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
Riviting Espresso
1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
It was explained to me that the negative wires on the front and rear speakers all share a common negative ground. That is the way most older 12v radios were wired and the AS harness is wired that way. Newer systems have a dedicated positive and negative for each channel and speaker. If I hook it up to a new audio system it will fry it very quickly. The only solution is to rewire and replace the speakers. New speakers are not a problem because the original AS speakers are not very good but the wiring can be a challenge. Has anyone done this refit?

Mario & Kelly
Music City, USA
AIR# 12509
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I pulled out my AS SPeakers, and put in new Panasonics. I did not like the look so I went back to the AS originals,for now.It was a basic two wire plug in swap for the 78.
I bought a very nice Panasonic car stereo on closeout at Walmart. 60 bucks. Sounds great and is easy to operate and install. Ten minutes to get it wired up.
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #18
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Well, my '75 Argosy has appliance twin-conductor cord going from each speaker location all the way up to the front overhead bin left side, which was where the original radio was. I doubt they're grounded anywhere along the length. At one time, I had a home-type Sony stereo receiver hooked up directly to these wires, and it never showed a fault or blew any fuses.

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Erie , Pennsylvania
Decent Radio

I put a new radio in a few months ago and it was the greatest investment so far! It was like $79 at walmart, the one great thing that I like about it are all the options it has. It does the normal fm/am/cd, but it will also play mp3's and wma's off the cd. It also has a sd slot, usb port, and an external input. It is all easy to use and easy to install, I had to fabricate a new front panel since the origonal was built into the radio. The wiring was easy and I haven't had any problems with it yet. The only problem with my install is that you can't play cd's when you have it in the verticle position...well you can but i can hear it rub, and when it is the open position it still rubs so I eventually have to make it open about 2" more and it's ok. I use xm anyway which is fine, my model has a built in fm modulator so it makes it easy. Oh it even has a remote! Good Luck,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5000368.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	27185  

jrk247 is offline   Reply With Quote