Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Waterloo , Ontario
Replacing (or fixing) my old TV antenna

Hello fellow Airstreamers. I have a 1990 Excella 34 which has the original TV antennae on the roof (the huge multi-arm contraption). I have a couple issues: 1)I can't get the antennae raised without using a broom handle to lift it from the outside, and 2)I can't get any reception when it is raised.

So my questions are:
1)Can this be easily repaired?
2)Is it worth repairing, or should I purchase a new Winegard
3)How does one work on the roof without damaging it?
DEWASSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWASSINC View Post
Hello fellow Airstreamers. I have a 1990 Excella 34 which has the original TV antennae on the roof (the huge multi-arm contraption). I have a couple issues: 1)I can't get the antennae raised without using a broom handle to lift it from the outside, and 2)I can't get any reception when it is raised.

So my questions are:
1)Can this be easily repaired?
2)Is it worth repairing, or should I purchase a new Winegard
3)How does one work on the roof without damaging it?
Sounds like the gears are broken. If it is a Braund Skyliner like the ones on my Airstreams, parts are readily available. See TV Radio Satellite Parts : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone! for example.

Absolutely worth repairing. They work great for HD signals. As far as your reception issue goes, you are using a digital tuner, right?

As far as working on the antenna, I used an extension ladder with towels taped around it to prevent scratching the side of the Airstream. Foam plumbing insulation works well too. I stood on the ladder and just reached across.

I've attached a pdf of the manual for the Skyliner antenna. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf skyliner ant.pdf (274.1 KB, 331 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
On my Limited I have concorde base with electric lift and rotation. The upper half looks like the skyliner. The gears on these are different. Was able to find them but now I cant remember where. Here is the manual and parts illustration
Attached Files
File Type: pdf concord_elec.pdf (1.65 MB, 98 views)
File Type: pdf conelecpartsonly.pdf (510.9 KB, 100 views)

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez60 View Post
On my Limited I have concorde base with electric lift and rotation. The upper half looks like the skyliner. The gears on these are different. Was able to find them but now I cant remember where. Here is the manual and parts illustration
The Concorde base was a new one for me. I hadn't ever heard of that. Interesting that yours has the top like a Skyliner.

Thanks for posting! I'll add those pdfs to my collection.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Waterloo , Ontario
Thanks for the info guys. I will get some parts and try to repair the gears in my Skyliner. If I need to replace the coax cable, how would I go about this?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I would like to know how to replace the antenna cable also

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I have a 1974 Airstream souverign 31... the antenna is missing, but the crank and mount is there. Can I mount an HD antenna on this? Has anyone done this with success?

I am bummed that the original monster is missing... but i'm looking for an inexpensive option for replacement.

Thanks

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWASSINC View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I will get some parts and try to repair the gears in my Skyliner. If I need to replace the coax cable, how would I go about this?
The cable on my 75 was not providing a signal to my TV and since it is routed under the skins and trough holes in the ribs, it is not an easy task. Removal of inner skins would be the best way to do this. I opted to run the new cable along the roof and down the refrigerator vent to be a much easier option. The fridge vent cover must be removed and an opening in the screen at the top of the vent must be enlarged.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbound View Post
I have a 1974 Airstream souverign 31... the antenna is missing, but the crank and mount is there. Can I mount an HD antenna on this? Has anyone done this with success?

I am bummed that the original monster is missing... but i'm looking for an inexpensive option for replacement.

Thanks
First off, all TV antennas are essentially HD, so don't pay extra for that. If you go with a Winegard you may want the optional "bat wing" add-on that improves UHF performance since more of the major channels are UHF than they used to be in analog days.

I'm also lacking an antenna... the PO of my trailer removed the entire mechanism. It isn't really high on my priority list since I'm not planning to live in my trailer and I watch entirely too much TV when I'm home, traveling is a good reason NOT to. Still, I've done some research. I'm considering the JACK RV antenna. I've read decent reviews, and if you use their mounting system rather than mounting it on crank-up arms you don't have to raise or lower it, it's aerodynamic enough to travel.

Since you already have some mechanism, it may be easier for you to put a new original-style antenna on the roof, assuming the upper part of the mechanism is still there and functional.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Waterloo , Ontario
Well finally, my interim solution to my problem.

I purchased a Winegard Rayzr antennae from Camping World for $25. It's a small mobile antennae that you hang on any window, and it comes with 15ft cable and suction cups. I'm currently in mid-Florida, and can pick up 17 stations. That works fine for me until I get real energetic and try to fix the roof top.