Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Replacing DVD Player

I have a 2009 International that came with a Sony DVD Player (with CD changer, AM/FM radio, etc.). It does not play blu-ray DVD's which presents a problem, especially for the grandchildren.

So I would like to replace the DVD player and eliminate the CD changer (as we use Blue Tooth and portable speakers). If the replacement has AM/FM radio that would be fine but not necessary.

Has anyone done this? What replacement DVD was used? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Please excuse my ignorance on the new technologies available for AV systems.

In an effort to answer my own question it appears as though I need to get a Blu-ray DVD player as a stand alone unit. Am I correct on this point?

Which will lead to other questions, such as, can I use the existing Sony unit to send the signal to the speakers, from the TV to speakers, etc.? But one thing at a time.

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
The AV world is at a cross-roads right now.

While you'd think Blu-ray's should be the standard right now, it's not. It's a luxury, transitional, media based format. DVD's are still the incumbent, with sufficient quality for everything but critical viewing (in a proper home theater).

The rest of the world has already significantly transitioned to digital/streaming formats. It's the networks and studios holding us back in the states.

That said, whatever media based format you adopt now would be short lived at best. I'd stick with DVD's, as there aren't many automotive or integrated Blu-ray based systems available on the market. Most movies sold, are now bundled as multi-format copies with a DVD, Blu-ray, and digital copy.

I'm soon ripping out the TV's from my AS as we mostly use tablets and laptops. I may replace them with a large tablet. Something like large 18.4" tablet or Nabi, and relying on streaming from my other devices, or a movie on a USB stick.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...s=large+tablet
https://www.amazon.com/nabi-Big-Tab-...s=large+tablet

For audio, I'm replacing the original headunit with a Bluetooth capable headunit such that any device can connect to and play through the speakers. Others have ripped out the headunit/speakers, and use a standalone BT speaker which potentially has higher audio quality.

All this also has the benefit of being extremely energy efficient. Which relieves some of the need for large solar and battery installations to support the old school electronics.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
A Blue-Ray player will also play older DVD's, so that's a low-risk upgrade if you have the need to play Blu Ray disks.

For audio, you can replace the existing head unit with a $100-$200 unit from any of the major names (Sony, Yamaha, Clarion, etc) that will also include Bluetooth, so you can eliminate the need for your portable speakers. Most of them will also have USB input for connecting legacy Ipods.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Combo (radio + BluRay) units are not very common. The "modern" trailers come with a stand alone disk player that feeds into a radio. Getting everything to run off of 12V is problematic. The typical answer is to run the stuff off of 120V. The net effect is that watching a couple movies on a rainy day is only practical off of shore power or a generator.

An equally big question is - do you ever use the radio? If so for what? If you are like us, it's to get the weather. A battery powered unit might be a better answer for that .... Since car radios are 12V, there are options for that part of it.

For us, once you get past the weather, the use for off the air TV is the same sort of thing. We just don't use it. If there is something on the "tube" it's from a streaming source one way or the other.

One alternative:

Set up the screen to stream from a laptop. Plug a cheap BluRay player into the laptop when required. Run the screen and laptop off of 12V (likely with DC/DC converter involved somewhere). Run the speakers off of a cheap car amplifier (also 12V).

Yes that's a lot of options heading in a lot of directions.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Over the last 20 years or so when ever I had a question on car stereo I contacted crutchfield.com they will give you the advise you are looking for. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Just did it

I ripped out the Sony player in our 2011 27' FC. I replaced it with a small LG bluray deck that also plays CDs, etc. The deck--and many competitors--have blutooth connectivity, so you can stream content from you laptop, ipad, or smart phone. Its really a step up in connectivity. The deck runs on 110VAC so I have a small dedicated inverter for it squirreled away in the adjacent cabinet. Works great. Previously, I had tried to find an 12v in-dash bluray player. There aren't many out there and they're expensive.

The real work was adapting the cabinet to the different cross section of the deck and routing the 35' HDMI cable to the Samsung TV. I also added a Bose Solo 5 soundbar that's mounted under the TV. The result is a superior (720p HD image) and really good audio from the Bose. It wasn't without difficulties. I'm a fairly serious woodworker with lots of tools, so I think the cabinet work could be a bit challenging if you're not comfortable butchering wood...

I'm not versed in AV stuff, but I believe there's a real advantage in using HDMI to communicate between your deck and the TV rather than the cheezy video cable Airstream used.

I finished the project this morning. I made it more difficult on myself because I wanted the finished product to look like it was part of the interior, not a tacky add-on.

Look up my recent thread on my upgrade and you might pick up some useful points. I went down a lot of blind alleys connected the three major components.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
A Blue-Ray player will also play older DVD's, so that's a low-risk upgrade if you have the need to play Blu Ray disks.
Yes, and music CD's too!
But the snag is audio. Look at the new BluRay player you are thinking of buying, and make sure it has more than a HDMI output. I bought a Samsung for $39 but it has no audio connections, just the HDMI. Works great in a bedroom, where it just feeds the TV.
For more, I like having at least a stereo mini for external speakers or better L/R RCA jacks.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Breaking this down into bits you are after (I guess ...):

AM radio
FM radio
Weather radio?
CD / DVD / BluRay Player
Amp to drive the speakers
Off the air TV / Cable TV
(Streaming TV?)
Switching and control to connect all of this.

You need to check all of the boxes for it to work. In a home you might buy this or that (an AV receiver maybe) to handle the fiddly bits. In an RV the selection of boxes is not as great. If you do find a fancy one that runs on 12V, it's not going to be cheap ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
A few years back, there were a couple companies that made 12vDC Blue-Ray players. Mostly installed in hoopties (souped up compact cars, with huge speakers, minimal exhaust systems, and plenty of under car auxiliary lighting). I have been on the hunt for one. A couple folks I know that attend CES (Consumer Electronics Show), said a couple un-named vendors are looking into bring these back to market. I've taken all my music and put it on a 128gb USB stick and stream my music via Blue-tooth to my Bose Solo 5 speaker. Sounds great inside the AS.
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i replaced the cheap TV with a Samsung LCD unit that has a built in Blueray player

the combo radio in my 2017 as 22FB only outputs composite video into an HDMI doubler. the quality is pour

now tv plays a great picture and full 1080i resolution and i send the audio signal back into the AUX input of the receiver. that way i can play the audio through the trailer speakers.

see my other thread on replacing the speakers
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...it-170808.html
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
here is an HDMI extender from another site

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-av-...v-audio-video/
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #13
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I have a 2009 International that came with a Sony DVD Player (with CD changer, AM/FM radio, etc.). It does not play blu-ray DVD's which presents a problem, especially for the grandchildren.

So I would like to replace the DVD player and eliminate the CD changer (as we use Blue Tooth and portable speakers). If the replacement has AM/FM radio that would be fine but not necessary.

Has anyone done this? What replacement DVD was used? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
You can buy a relatively small blu ray deck almost anywhere. Theyre quite inexpensive. You will then need a small inverter if you want to run the player, TV, and speakers off your batteries. The other complication is that the output from your DVD player will be HDMI and you have to have a TV with that input interface available. Audio can get a bit complex also, as you'll need to connect your speakers to the audio out on your TV.

All this may sound complex, but it's not really. If don't want to cobble all this together yourself, visit a car audio store and see if they'll do it for you.

I finished it a couple weeks ago, mounting the blu ray deck where the Sony used to be, running the hdmi cable to the TV and replacing the installed cheesy speakers with a Small Bose sound bar. Everything works great--we just got back from dry camping--the video and sound quality are now really nice.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Replacing DVD Player

Here is your steep by step guide with photos and part numbers. This was from my 2008 which (had) the same configuration as your 2009 does.

BTW - don’t bother with blue ray unless you simply buy a TV with an integrated DVD player. Your trailer is wired for RCA connections so you will never get 1080i resolution out of the current system unless you perform extensive work to re-wire with HDMI cabling, which is not worth it for a 24-28” screen.......

Enjoy.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...de-161787.html
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote