Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Looks Like We Have a Winner

Measured the antenna against the current one on our trailer and this new one will direct fit the old mount holes on ours. The screw centers are
2 3/4 inches apart. The installation would be plastic ring against the trailer - then the metal reinforcing ring - then the antenna base.

When the antenna arrived it was off center to the mounting holes but, that was easily corrected by loosening the rear nut and realigning the mast to the base.

The mast is stationary and does not extend like the original. A pic of the mast we purchased at Advance Auto parts is shown if you want to replace the mast on this new one. I used it on our original base last year, as you can see in the photo, to replace our beat up original mast.

Antenna is part number HS519L. All the searching and it turns up for $10.99 with free shipping. Enjoy....

RV Audio Accessories | Jensen RV Direct
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 167.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	83936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 168.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	83937  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 170.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	83938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 171.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	83939  

Old 08-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
New antenae is installed. Thank you Ganglin. Mounting holes line up perfectly with the old ones. It goes plastic ring against the trailer, metal ring on the inside in the wall. The only thing is that the antenae wires are not the same. The old wire uses a sort of bayonnette screw into the end of the antenae wire to make contact. The new antenae uses a conventional rca style plug on the end of the wire. I was able to run the new wire to the radio. If you can't, then it will be necessary to splice the coaxial wire so that you can use the old wire with the new antenae. So my advice to all is,1. that you need access to the backside of the antenae to change it out. Not the easiest thing to do. and second, the new wire, if you cannot get it to the radio, cannot be used. You will have to cut the female end of the new wire off and splice that connector onto the old wire. That way you can connect to the new antenae and not have to run a new wire to the radio. Kind of a bitchy job. Might be easier to just replace the mast onto the old base. George.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Vintage Trailer Supply has a replica of the sixties unit. Mine just came today. It has two mounts and telescopes to 3 sections.

They have a picture of it on their website next to the original.
Airstream Radio Antenna

Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Measured the antenna against the current one on our trailer and this new one will direct fit the old mount holes on ours. The screw centers are
2 3/4 inches apart. The installation would be plastic ring against the trailer - then the metal reinforcing ring - then the antenna base.

When the antenna arrived it was off center to the mounting holes but, that was easily corrected by loosening the rear nut and realigning the mast to the base.

The mast is stationary and does not extend like the original. A pic of the mast we purchased at Advance Auto parts is shown if you want to replace the mast on this new one. I used it on our original base last year, as you can see in the photo, to replace our beat up original mast.

Antenna is part number HS519L. All the searching and it turns up for $10.99 with free shipping. Enjoy....

RV Audio Accessories | Jensen RV Direct
Ganglin, did you ever install that antenae? I was wondering if you ran a new antenae wire all the way to the radio or did you splice the old wire to the new wire? If you spliced it, how did you do it? Thanks, george
Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
No - I've not done the install - moved to next years project along with the skyliner new cable pull.

George, after thinking about the topic and our discussion - I'm going to pull the new wire to the radio rather than attempt the splice. Although, I still think the splice can be done at the base of the new antenna with an adaptor from Radio Shack. I think you'd have to take the new antenna to them and show them what your trying to do....
Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Thanks Ganglin, I also ran he new wire to the radio. I was thinking that if we could post the type of splice or type of connector needed, more people would be able to swap out the antenna. I don't think everbody will be able to run a new wire all the way to the radio.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Good Idea. If I get a few minutes some day soon I'll run the antenna to a couple places and see if we can come up with something. I know there has to be an easy adaptor out there.