Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Replacement of Sony Radio

Please advise if anyone has replaced an original Sony Radio MEX-RD5 with a Sony MEX-N5300BT unit. If so is it a simple plug and play or will I have to order a generic wiring harness and attach all the existing wires? May or may not use existing speakers at the time as I have a Bose Bluetooth I carry every where. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks Larry
lsawye01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Neither Google or Sony can come up with a MEX-RD5.
If it's any help here's the connections on the back of the 5300.
You might try calling Crutchfield, they're the go-to people for all things car stereo.
BTW, Crutchfield sells the 5300 for $98.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g158N5300BT-M.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	356857  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawye01 View Post
Please advise if anyone has replaced an original Sony Radio MEX-R5 with a Sony MEX-N5300BT unit. If so is it a simple plug and play or will I have to order a generic wiring harness and attach all the existing wires? May or may not use existing speakers at the time as I have a Bose Bluetooth I carry every where. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks Larry
Sorry but I miss typed....should have been MEX-R5.....
Old 11-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Isawye01, I feel your pain! Just last month I finished replacing the old Sony MEX that came in my 2012 FC. I was naive enough to think that I could find a comparable Sony with the same wiring harness to allow for a “plug and play” installation—Wrong! In their infinite wisdom, the audio engineers design almost every radio with a unique wiring harness.

I had never replaced a radio before but Crutchfield made it easy. Don’t get me wrong, it took three different radios to find one that had the proper inputs and functionality. The primary issue was that it took me three weekends of tracing to figure out exactly how Airstream had wired our trailer.

Besides the wiring harness, the aux input on the back of your unit (same as mine) is apparently a design that went the way of the Dodo bird immediately after my unit was shipped. Consequently none of the new radios, even new MEX models will mate with that input.

Also, the manufacturers have decided to move almost all of the aux inputs to the FRONT of the radios now. Consequently Crutchfield could only find two radios that still had the aux input on the rear. Those inputs now are 3.5mm, not the RCA style. Consequently you will need the RCA to 3.5mm adapter as well.

For the wiring harness, the wires are all color coded which makes it much easier. Also, Crutchfield sell these awesome little crimping wire nuts made just for radio installation. They make the job much easier. I took the new harness and, one by one, cut the old harness off a wire and connected that color to the new harness. Done in 15 minutes.

Of the two radios that met the challenge they recommended a Kenwood unit. I’m thrilled with the final product and the new unit was only $129. If you are interested I can send you a link to the unit I chose.

Good luck!
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
I appreciate the information...yes...please send me the link to the Kenwood.
Again, thanks and have a Happy Turkey Day.
Larry and Jan
Old 11-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
So here is the radio:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT5....html?skipvs=T

Here is the adapter cable:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_979CMR...le-6-foot.html

And these are the connectors that you need:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP5...onnectors.html

Good luck!
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
My 2008 27FB had the Sony DVD unit and 10 CD changer with a Samsung TV. The AS AV wiring and switch board / crossover is a joke. I ripped it all out and put in a Pyle all in one DVD / TV with a JBL Sound Bar for the TV and replaced the Sony with a Pioneer CD/Bluetooth head deck. I have some experience wiring so I cut everything back and started from scratch. I also replaced the crappy subwoofer and speakers with a good ones. I added my old Apple TV V3 for streaming and we are happy. Here's my component list, all from Crutchfield except the Pyle. https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Multimed.../dp/B01LX4MB6S
Kicker 11HS8 8" Compact Powered Subwoofer
JBL Bar Studio 2.0 Soundbar with Bluetooth
Pioneer DEH-S4120BT CD Receiver
XTC 6-1/2-inch pair Slim Speaker Baffles

Maybe when I head for the beach for a week's respite after Christmas I'll build a pictorial of the install.

Anybody needs replacement Sony gear PM me.

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:48 AM   #8

1976 31' Sovereign
Lancaster , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawye01 View Post
I appreciate the information...yes...please send me the link to the Kenwood.
Again, thanks and have a Happy Turkey Day.
Larry and Jan
Do you have a link to the Kenwood? I’m in the process of replacing my original Sony radio. Thank you
Ladybugeco is offline   Reply With Quote