Old 07-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Kanata , Ontario
Replacement for Winegard Roadstar 3000 - 2017 Airstream

Very poor reception with this antenna in my 2017, big disappointment. Not unusual for neighbours to get twice the number of channels with their more traditional crank-ups. Apparently the ducted air conditioning prevented the adjustable Winegard antennas. Has anyone figured out a better performing replacement?

Old 07-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
I hope you get an answer we have the same complaint.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Spent time on the phone with AS Service over this same issue. Also called and talked to Winegard techs about optimal installation of the RoadStar antenna (per Winegard, antenna should be mounter at a minimum of 18 inches from the center of the antenna to any roof top obstruction and be higher than the tallest rooftop obstruction). When the antenna sets lower than any surrounding rooftop obstructions, reception will be adversely effected. I asked Winegard if they offer a taller pedestal to raise the antenna above the AC, roof vents, and other obstructions, and they do not. Asked them if upgrading to the Rayzar Automatic would make any difference and their reply was , probably not for the same reason. At this time, I'm seriously considering designing a motorized mast to raise an OTA antenna higher for optimal reception. When you are camping at Airstream's Terra Port in Jackson Center and are unable to receive the OTA station, using the RoadStar, from Dayton OH or any other surrounding communities, on flat terrain, that's a problem. It's even worse when hills, mountains and tall building block the signals.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMrT View Post
I hope you get an answer we have the same complaint.

Me too !
Old 07-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida

We solved this problem by getting a bundle antenna and receiver from DISH.

Kidding.

Ok so you aren't going to get the performance out of this annular pattern antenna, powered or not.

The days of clipping on a Wingard Wingman to boost SNR are unfortunately over.

Short of replacing the existing unit with a directional array, I don't see a solution. My guess is the market place has determined that with today's customer using the internet or satellite for entertainment, designing a good mechanical directional OTA RV antenna is not worth the cost savings of not having a hole in the roof, mechanical complexity and additional maintenance (small, obviously) and risk of traveling with it erected.

Edit to add: I'd be looking for something like this:

Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified - Motorized 360° Degree Rotation - Digital HDTV Antenna - 150 Miles Range - Wireless Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SFXDSVC..._J-UyzbJG24TVG

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Made this for my 8.5 db gain WiFi antenna, to raise and lower it. I'm thinking that I could do something similar for a small omni-directional OTA television antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7191-s.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	289125  
Old 07-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
We had JC techs look at our issue as well. We only received 2 channels at JC and they used them to diagnosis the issue. Well they said it is fine. No mention that we should get more channels nor that the fans or the USB ports over the beds cause interference. Now we are seeing that with the front TV on And the BR TV that the BR TV gets worse. UGH.... My wife calls the front TV the "Dumb TV" not the Smart TV as it is, as it skips worse than the BR TV.

Tsunami-v2, That set up can work for a omni directional antenna. Can you post the set up you engineered including the motor info? Will the motor handle a larger mass such as the King Jack? I am surely interested.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Not high-jacking this thread, but here what I did for WiFi. I fabricated the triangular mount out of stainless steel. It's attached to the air conditioner deflector with three small stainless steel bolts with nyloc-nuts. Also attached a stiffener between the AC deflector and the refrigerator vent for stability. The motor is a Diamond "K" 9000. I talked with the reseller (they are big into HAM radio) about the weight on the WiFi antenna and reassured me that it wasn't a problem. Depends upon the weight of the TV antenna. I have an up/down switch in the wardrobe right below the antenna, to the left of the power switch for the wireless router. Of course it's 12vDC power. I'm thinking a mount between the roof frame rails as a base for the TV antenna might work. Still thinking about options. Glad to answer any questions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WiFi Setup.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	289134   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Router.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	289138  

Old 07-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami-v2 View Post
Not high-jacking this thread, but here what I did for WiFi. I fabricated the triangular mount out of stainless steel. It's attached to the air conditioner deflector with three small stainless steel bolts with nyloc-nuts. Also attached a stiffener between the AC deflector and the refrigerator vent for stability. The motor is a Diamond "K" 9000. I talked with the reseller (they are big into HAM radio) about the weight on the WiFi antenna and reassured me that it wasn't a problem. Depends upon the weight of the TV antenna. I have an up/down switch in the wardrobe right below the antenna, to the left of the power switch for the wireless router. Of course it's 12vDC power. I'm thinking a mount between the roof frame rails as a base for the TV antenna might work. Still thinking about options. Glad to answer any questions.

That's awesome. JC should be doing this as standard equipment, instead of supplying things like a WIRED LAN BluRay Player from what 2011?

Seriously, that's excellent.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nicely done!
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida

One of you guys might know the answer to this: is it possible to repurpose the existing M303 radio external antenna for WiFi?

My understanding is that WiFi runs at 2.4GHz. So would this antenna be broad spectrum enough so as not to cause any SWR issues? Any thoughts as to the gain one might get?

I use an external mag-mount 7 dB whip for my camp-facing powered repeater using ddwrt and a power amp. Generally I just affix it to one of the steel speaker grills.

Name:	IMG_3375.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	289141

I use this to supply a DHCP signal to my AS facing E2500 router for all 9 of my wireless devices internal to AS.

This works pretty well, but it would be cool if I could get my signal up on top of the AS and use it as a big ground plane, too.

PS sorry for the thread hijack.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
So just rehashing the question , is there any antenna that will mount in the same area as the "mushroom" and receive ota better ? Or is there a way to mount a rotating antenna on the late model trailers with ducted air ?
Old 07-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
I have spent way to much time on-line looking for a solution, none found that I like. I have a friend with a mill (3 axis) and if I find a spare pedestal from one of the factory installed antennas, I'm going to have him turn one out and make it about a foot taller. I'm going off the premises, based upon other SOB's (Some Other Brands) of trailers that use this antenna and it's subjected to the wind sheer forces while driving and/or parked that required no special beefed up roof structure support. I'm doing more research and will think this thing to ground before the first hold is drilled, screw is driven, or adhesive to squirted out of a tube. As has been stated in the move Hunt for Red October "Son the Russians don't take a dump without a plan"!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
What about the winegard automatic rayzar ,or the rayzar Z1 ? Either of these worth the effort ,to get greater range .and with minimum abuse of the roof ?