Old 01-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Replace the SONY audio receiver? Help

I have a 2012 with the SONY DSX-S310BTX that I need to replace. My problem is with what?
Here is why. In my trailer there is also a SONY XA-300 controlled by the S310 through an obsolete protocol call Unilink. The XA-300 allows the receiver(head unit) to control the audio source so that the TV sound can be played through the S310 and the speakers throughout the trailer.
No current SONY unit has this control capability.
How is Airstream doing this with the newer stereo's? Has anyone upgraded their older unit? With what? How did you get the TV output through the system?
Many thanks,
Larry

Old 01-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Anyone?

Surely somebody has replaced their stereo head unit in a newer trailer?

Larry

Old 01-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I have a 2012 with the SONY DSX-S310BTX that I need to replace. My problem is with what?
Here is why. In my trailer there is also a SONY XA-300 controlled by the S310 through an obsolete protocol call Unilink. The XA-300 allows the receiver(head unit) to control the audio source so that the TV sound can be played through the S310 and the speakers throughout the trailer.
No current SONY unit has this control capability.
How is Airstream doing this with the newer stereo's? Has anyone upgraded their older unit? With what? How did you get the TV output through the system?
Many thanks,
Larry
The Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS

Get rid of that horrific single-knob design and return to multi-touch goodness.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Thanks, but that is not plug-and-play, single DIN. I do not want to have to cut a new opening.
Larry
Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
You have to search for a single DIN head that has external audio input on the back of the head which there is not many. I suppose you could replace it with the Clarion model Airstream supplies but many are not satisfied with the UI of that radio.

I ripped out my Sony head on my 2008 Classic 25fb. Between the face mount and the 10 disc CD changer there was no useable storage in this cabinet. We never used the AM/FM radio and the DVD didn't work that well. I prefer having TV sound coming from the television so I'm using a Riva Turbo X bluetooth speaker and I'm also considering the Bose Solo 5 soundbar. With either speaker I can play my music from my phone/tablets via bluetooth.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ml#post1801789

Not sure if you are a Sirius/XM subscriber but maybe a Sirius head would satisfy the audio needs an then use a Bose Solo 5 speaker for TV.

I thought about a double DIN system, Furrion head (Jensen double din look a like) and decided I needed more cabinet space for my camera gear.

Good luck

Kelvin
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Kelvin, thanks.
I wonder if it is as simple as just plugging the audio out from the TV into the aux in on a unit with the connections in the back? If so, why did Airstream complicate it with the XA-300?
You are right, there are few choices for aux in the back and the Clarion seems to be about it. Kenwood is coming out with a new unit with Aux in the back, according to their site.
I do not want anything more complicated that it needs to be. Plus, I like the sound out of the overhead speakers, especially when running the AC in the summer.
Larry
Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
We have the Clarion 502m and hate it. The single control knob is so frustrating to use, I'm going to replace the whole entertainment system with 12 volt equipment including the TV.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Kelvin, thanks.
I wonder if it is as simple as just plugging the audio out from the TV into the aux in on a unit with the connections in the back? If so, why did Airstream complicate it with the XA-300?
You are right, there are few choices for aux in the back and the Clarion seems to be about it. Kenwood is coming out with a new unit with Aux in the back, according to their site.
I do not want anything more complicated that it needs to be. Plus, I like the sound out of the overhead speakers, especially when running the AC in the summer.
Larry
Hopefully it just as easy as purchasing a 3.5mm to audio composite adapter and plug in your audio cables from the TV. You'll have to bypass the XA-300, may as just remove it. The cable from the TV into the XA-300 would be used to plug into the new head.

Hopefully the external DVD player sends audio to the TV via HDMI and the TV can relay the audio back via composite audio.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Yes, the DVD player does connect though the HDMI splitter and uses the same audio feed. With the Clarion, the rear Aux is RCA so I should be able to just unplug from the XA300 and plug into a Clarion. Just makes me wonder why the XA300 is there since it also connects to SONY with RCA plugs, Weird.
Larry
Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Now I'm shopping for a new double DIN head unit with bluetooth to replace my Sony unit from 2008!

Might as well add a new subwoofer while i'm at it!
Old 01-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Do you have a double DIN or are you just going to cut a bigger hole?
Larry
Old 01-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
The Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS

Get rid of that horrific single-knob design and return to multi-touch goodness.

How does the Pioneer hook up to all the existing speakers ?
I would love to get rid of our night mare of the single knob. Can never get the speakers working they way I would like.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
The Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS
IanPoulin - have you successfully installed an AVH-X3800BHS head unit in an airstream? I am about to order one but in the install guide I see that they require an ACC + ON power source from the "vehicle". which makes sense for a car but not a constant 12v source airstream. I'm not sure if this has to do to do with the handbrake connection which can (will in my case) be bypassed with an aftermarket signaling unit...

Can you comment on your installation? (assuming you have done this retrofit)

Did you connect both ACC (rec) and constant 12v (yellow) to the hot 12v lead from the battery?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	277909  
Old 01-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Different approach

Larry,

I may be wrong but I am perceiving part of the problem you are attempting to solve is providing sound from your TV to overcome the noise of the Air Conditioner.

Rather than pass the sound through the stereo, have you considered adding a small sound bar to your TV? I did this for the reason I stated in my opening paragraph and was not happy with TV sound coming from speakers behind me through the Sony stereo.

At Fry's I found a small sound bar, iLive ITB105-1614-01 that works quite well. Sound quality is much better, I can dial up the volume without distortion, it connects directly to the TV, is only 20" wide and was quite reasonable cost wise.

I made my own mount out of some 1" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock, using the same mounting holes the TV uses to mount to the wall mount, so the sound bar is just below the TV.

With a sound bar, the Sony radio replacement problem gets simpler.

Greg