Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
2011 25' FB International
stoughton , Massachusetts
Question Replace Sony Mex-Dv2200 in 2011 25' International

Hi,

I am looking to replace the Sony MEX-DV2200 that is in my 2011 25' FB International.

I have a new single din unit that has similar outputs in terms of video, audio, etc... Theoretically it should be a like for like switch.

When I pulled out the existing sony unit, I found some wires in the cabinet that weren't connected to the radio and the wires that were connected were not labeled and were crimped together and did not have rca connectors as I had expected.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of what is in the Airstream so that I can decipher what is back there so I can make sure I connect things properly?

I haven't cut or disconnected any wires so I can post pictures of what is back there now, how it is currently connected and what was not connected.

Also when I am done with this, I will have the Sony unit available for anyone who might be looking for one. It works fine, I just wanted to upgrade to an Android unit with wi-fi. The major reason I am switching is I want to be able to run Pandora from the radio as well as control the radio etc... with my phone.

Thanks.

**edit**
Ok so the wires that were crimped appear to be the 13 wires that are in a regular ISO connector. It looks like instead of the sony connector being wired to a female ISO connector and the Airstream to a Male ISO connector, they just crimped the Airstream wires to the output wires from the Sony connector. So, ..... I think I can solve that by picking up a make ISO connector and hooking that up to the Airstream wires (assuming wire color is consistent).

However this still leaves the mystery of the other wires back there that were not connected. In any case a wiring diagram should (hopefully) help me figure out the rest.
vinceb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
If the other wires that weren't connected were on the radio side they may be in necessary for thinks like aux control, ignition, subwoofer, etc.
This might help id wires;
https://docs.sony.com/release//MEXDV2200_US_ES_FR.pdf
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. The wires coming out of the sony unit I am ok with (I had also found the manual in the link you provided when I was doing my prep )

The wires I am curious about are the ones in the Airstream cabinet that were not connected to the Sony unit. There were several rca connectors left orphan. I do not know if this is by design or if the previous owner disconnected them for some reason. In any case I cannot find any material to tell me what they are or what they are for.

I suppose them being rca plugs, I can do some trial and error testing, but I was hoping for a different solution.

Thanks again and have a nice evening.

- Vince
Old 08-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
I would be interested in your old unit for my Streamline project . Send me a message if you would like to sell it . Tim.
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
At Airstream Service I had to go to Best Buy to get an Alpine to replace my old Sony. Why: All I wanted to do was to install a Sirius receiver in place of the XM, as that was in all my other vehicles. None of the old unit wire connectors would match the new radio and Sirius receiver even though SiriusXM gave me the Sirius new receiver. It took "Les" at Airstream Service three or four hours to straighten out all the wires and hook it all up. He had spent many years in production wiring entertainment systems and knew what he was doing. After it was all over I had to get and have him wire in a Blu-ray player because none of the newer radios have DVDs, let alone Blu-ray. That took another hour. What a hassle to keep electronic current. However, they are still better than my original crystal set I built in the 1940s during WWII. But it worked.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Hi, thanks to everyone who read my post and to those who replied.

@ guskmg, if you want some suggestions I can send you some links to units that still have dvd players and even more current bells and whistles.

I really wanted a unit that had built-in wifi capability as well as a true android operating system. Personally I get my movies streamed, or when in a campsite with limited wifi, I will soon be able to play them from my laptop or phone and transmit wirelessly to the tv through the radio. I haven't used a DVD or Bluray in years.

I ended up buying a moderately priced unit off of eBay and it arrived from China in 4 days. Not too bad.

I received an electrical diagram from Airstream directly this morning. I was amazed at how quickly they sent it out. I will attach them here.

At the end of the day, the issue isn't quite as bad as I thought. I need to disconnect the Sony plug that was crimped onto the Airstream wires. Radio wires are thankfully color coded. I need to then connect those wires to a generic male ISO radio harness that I just purchased. I need this harness type because that is compatible with what my new radio came with.

I suppose I could just cut off the female ISO harness from my new radio and crimp connect the wires like they did with the Sony , but then I'm in the same boat if I ever do this again.

So detach the 13 wires from the Sony plug. Take those 13 wires in the airstream cabinet and connect them to a male generic iso harness. Connect that to the female ISO harness that came with my radio and then plug the other end of that into my radio.

That takes care of the 13 wire thing.

Next are all the RCA cables that are orphaned and were not connected to the Sony. Here's where the wiring diagram also helps. I now have an idea what these should be for (not sure why they were ever disconnected) and can test them to identify them and then connect them to the new radio properly.

I will work on this over the weekend and will take some pics to post after.

If you are curious, this is the unit I bought. Not sure how it will hold up in the long run, but people have had good things to say about the "pumpkin" brand. At a couple hundred bucks it is a calculated risk. Looking at it though, it seems well built and everything is well labeled.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281995869430...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011 electrical Radio.pdf (40.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf 2011 electrical Radio2.pdf (115.8 KB, 49 views)