Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Houston International

2005 25' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Send a message via ICQ to tj_ia
Rear Speakers Not Working (2005 International CCD)

Long time reader, first time poster here.

We're the proud owners of a beautiful '05 CCD International, and in the 6 months we've owned it have pulled her nearly 10,000 miles. Beyond a new set of tires and a small problem with a tree that backed into us (good insurance is a MUST) it has been a smooth ride.

One small glitch that I can't figure out is how to activate the rear speakers (above the bed). The speakers in the front work perfectly, but there is no sound coming out of the back at all.

There is a switch on the side of the stereo box that seems to control the speaker output, but it doesn't seem to be working effectively. I've pulled the stereo unit out a couple of times to check the wire connections and everything appears to be in good shape. I've also checked the settings on the stereo itself to see if there is some type of balance adjustment that needs to be corrected, but again everything looks ok.

My fear is that we have a short somewhere in the wiring between the front an. Before I dig into tracing this short, does anyone have suggestions?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The rear speakers in my Excella have a push-button on/off switch under each one. Since the speakers are behind the curtains, you can't see the push buttons. I had to replace one switch. At the same time I upgraded to new speakers since my Excella is a 1983.

You might have similar switches in yours, worth looking anyway. You can see pictures of mine here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ent-38596.html.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Hi - If you have the sony surround sound system (factory install) there are menus to check on the receiver as I recall. I had a very obscure problem with my fronts...cutting in and out...finally traced it to a piece of debris (a leftover rivet from construction) that whenever it would shift would short out the speaker contacts on the back.
I agree with others that the amount of construction debris you find behind cabinets and in nooks and crannies leaves a lot to be desired. Would it really slow production to have someone vac it out before finish install?
I actually found other bits of debris behind other speakers which were vibrating on the back of the paper cones and distorting the sound. My speakers are mounted underside of cabinets. Probably not what your issue is but an obscure gremlin no less.
good luck troubleshooting.
lacosta31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Houston International

2005 25' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Send a message via ICQ to tj_ia
Thanks for the feedback. The '05 doesn't have the buttons on each speaker, although that sounds like a better (far simpler) solution than what is actually there. Lacosta31 - Thanks to your feedback I'll start my troubleshooting pull the speakers and see if there's anything haywire in there.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
If it is the Sony. First check that the "Fader" isn't turned to front only. That is the easiest thing.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
What side of Houston are you on? I'm on the West side off Tanner/Eldridge. Bad wiring might affect one speaker but hard to imagine both unless something sheared them both. I've got a Sony Manual on the system, might can look up specs. Fader would be first thing to check. Pop off the removable front cover power down and put back on, that seems to reset it. I've thought about pulling the side panel off mine to look at the wiring, have the switch on the side of it with an aux input for ipod.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Clearwater , Florida
menu, sound options, fader. If you see something like F +12, that means it's set on front speakers only. Adjust the knob until you hear it in the back.

Some radios are a little goofy. Mine requires you to make the change, back out of option, then escape sound options in order to save your changes. I generally know what I am doing with that stuff, have had/installed a few head units in cars. It still took me a while to figure mine out.
xitjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I have a problem with intermittant sound coming from my speakers. I replaced the original Sony AM/FM Cassette unit with a new Sony Bluetooth unit that the factory installs. If I crank up the volume all four speakers work, so it doesn't appear to be the wiring. However, is it possible the wire run to the rear speakers creates too much power drop, until adequate power is delivered to overcome the resistance? Would replacing the speakers solve the problem?
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Clearwater , Florida
First thing I would do is make sure the terminals are all nice and shiny before trying anything else.

I wouldn't think there is a power drop like you described unless there is damage to the speaker wire.
xitjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xitjustice View Post
First thing I would do is make sure the terminals are all nice and shiny before trying anything else.

I wouldn't think there is a power drop like you described unless there is damage to the speaker wire.

Good idea, thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I also doubt that a power drop in the wires is a problem. As xit said, poor connections are more likely the problem.

Having said that, if you've updated the stereo, the speakers are prime candidates for replacement. There's no telling what Airstream used for speakers. If you check out post 1 in my speaker replacement thread I referenced earlier in this thread, I discovered that my junk speakers didn't even match. I had three no-name 8Ω speakers and one 4Ω Audiovox. (Auto systems use 4Ω) Replacement yielded a vast improvement in sound.

There are also several other posts from other AS owners who updated their speakers in that thread, so you can get a look at what some others have done.

While you're checking the connections would be a great time to go ahead and replace the 18 year old speakers. Like I said, if they were like mine, they're not worth keeping anyway. You don't need to spend a fortune to get significant improvement in sound, either. The big cost is the head unit, and you've already done that.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
As long as I've got to check the connections, new speakers are called for. May as well add a sub too.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bganso View Post
As long as I've got to check the connections, new speakers are called for. May as well add a sub too.
I agree with that.

I got a little carried away when I added one. I need to do a thread on my stereo upgrades following completion. I get the week between Christmas and New Year's off, I'll do it then.