Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Rating Flat Screen TV's

Does anybody know of a reliable web site that rates the reliability of the new flat screen digital tv's?

Of course, I'm asking because we had a very expensive TV go south on us after less than 2 years of use. The big, expensive brand-name set in the house died. The small no-name, cheap one for the Airstream is chugging along just fine. Figures, doesn't it? I don't want to make another costly mistake, so I'll do a little better research this time around. Anybody that has had good results (or bad for that matter) is welcome to chime in with their opinion. I'm really interested in long term results.

Here's a few of the details on the set that died. Magnavox 37" LCD digital/HD. Purchased 12-1-2006. Died about 10 days ago. Cost to repair is over $500. Cost new was $800. Always used with a good quality surge protector. The CATV connection also filtered thru the surge protector. One year warranty. Magnavox says "too bad". Jim says he doesn't want any more cheap Chinese crap.

TIA boys and girls.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Slick Deals

Try Googling Slick Deals.
Select Hot Deals above the Black Friday ad listings then scroll down to the little boxes on the bottom, look for Video.
More information than you could ever want.
If you read enough you will find where to buy 3 year warranties, hangers, cables, etc.
Very up to date on the best available prices, models and slick deals.
I am wavering between a Samsung and a Vizio, 40"-42" or maybe a 32" for the Airstream with a swiveling hanger from......
Shopping can be a disease.
Slick Deals makes it interesting.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I read where a glut of production capability will push flat screen prices down by as much as 50% after the Thanksgiving weekend sales... We are waiting until then, but memorizing prices and differences now!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
consumer Reports does a pretty good job... We have a sharp 52" lcd and love it... Sharp and sony seem to be the best right now.... but check out consumer Reports an online subscription is about $16 i think...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
AV Science Forum

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Here's a few of the details on the set that died. Magnavox 37" LCD digital/HD. Purchased 12-1-2006. Died about 10 days ago. Jim
If you bought it on a credit card in most cases the warranty is doubled up to an additional year. That might work for you in this case.

Good luck.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Thanks guys. I'll check these out tonight. No such luck with the credit card--already tried that angle. Turns out we used our debit card, not the credit card. Lesson learned, eh?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Jim,
Your comment on the Magnacrap set caused me to glance over at my set here next to my P.C. The one that I've had about 2 yrs. The one that has half a picture, the bottom half. No one has a head, including the rooster in the sleep aid comercial. Sure enough, Magnacrap. I will never make that mistake again.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
That's kinda why I was asking the question about "long term" reliability. I guess "long term" is a relative idea in this case because LCD TV's haven't really been around all that long. Our last set lasted 17 years. This one less than two.

You can't imagine how upset Susan and I are about this. It took me a very long time to make the $800 it cost to buy that TV. I truely feel like I've been robbed. And Magnavox's attitude was, "sorry, too bad". We try to be very careful where we spend our money. We're just middle class people trying to get by in life, we don't have an extra $800 every couple of years to buy a new TV.

There will be snow flakes in some very warm places before those alleged human beings get another dime of my money.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
We too made the mistake of buying a Magnacrap, nothing but trouble with it, have switched to Sony and love them, have three in the house and two in the Airstream, no problems with any of them..

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Samsung = another reliable brand

We have a Samsung combo TV/computer monitor that's going on 5 years in the trailer- it's an LCD 17" wide screen. (FYI - made in Korea)

Still a great picture, good sound. Out LCD computer monitors are also Samsung - the one I'm using now is going on 6 years & hasn't lost a pixel! Can't justify getting a newer, bigger monitor with such performance!

Our former CRT Sony TV's are both in use at our respective kid's homes - one TV is 16 years & the other 12 years old - still a great picture after all those years. (at that time, both TV's made in Japan)

We also have a 5 year old Sharp LCD TV (made in Taiwan) - also still going strong except it's developed a bit of a "color confusion" stripe on the left side of the picture. Did have to get some warranty work on it after 2 years when the sound went out on it - been working fine ever since.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
We try to look up ALL major purchases on Consumer's Report - that's Consumer's Report NOT Consumer's Digest. The Digest seems to give better evaluations to those companies that advertise in their magazines. Consumer's Report accepts NO advertising and they purchase all items they review. I honestly believe they do a much better job. We have only Sony and Samsung t'vs in our home and AS. Probably lucky but we like to think it's because we do our homework.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I vote for Samsung

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
We have a Samsung combo TV/computer monitor that's going on 5 years in the trailer- it's an LCD 17" wide screen. (FYI - made in Korea)

Still a great picture, good sound. Out LCD computer monitors are also Samsung - the one I'm using now is going on 6 years & hasn't lost a pixel! Can't justify getting a newer, bigger monitor with such performance!
. . . . .
I've heard the same about Samsung flat screen TVs. I have a Samsung LCD PC monitor that is awesome. Maybe they hold up better because they have been in the LCD business for a quite a while. Can't speak personally for their TV's, but my Samsung P2 mp3 player went through the wash and still worked like new after drying out.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I've too have become a fan of Samsung LCD panels. I have a Toshiba 40XF550U which is absolutely spectacular.

These days, it can be hard to determine which LCD panel is actually in a given TV -- even across different sizes of the same model.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
We try to look up ALL major purchases on Consumer's Report - that's Consumer's Report NOT Consumer's Digest. The Digest seems to give better evaluations to those companies that advertise in their magazines. Consumer's Report accepts NO advertising and they purchase all items they review. I honestly believe they do a much better job. We have only Sony and Samsung t'vs in our home and AS. Probably lucky but we like to think it's because we do our homework.
Twice in my life, I have made purchases based on Consumer Reports' review of a product. One was a Sony cordless phone, the other an OKI cell phone. Both were rated number one in their respective categories. Both were by far the worst product I've ever owned. I don't put much faith in their reviews anymore.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
Don't go by Consumer Report..

We too got stung by Consumer Report...we bought a refrigerator ( for the home) by Amana, came highly recommended as the quietist...it was the worst refrigerator we ever had, had to shut it off at night so we could sleep..
Needless to say we don't check with CR anymore..
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The biggest problem with CR is there isn't much long term stuff done.... If they recommend something double check it through Google... There are other reviews out there... Personal ones...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I'm a long time Toshiba owner. I have a 32" for home and a 22" for my trailer. Both are LCD. Before them I had Toshiba tube TV's. The reason I chose this brand is because it is the brand that proved to offer the best image quality and reliability for a client of mine. I used to be a project Architect for a firm who designs the restaurants for Boston Pizza, a chain of restaurants/sports bars in Western Canada. The company tried many brands and found Toshiba to be the best. There was nothing scientific about their research, just time and experience. Works for me and I've never had any problems with any Toshiba product that I've owned.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote