Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Range of Batwing???

I am having a Winegard Batwing (amplified) installed on my 86 Sovereign, but I am beginning to get a little worried that I might not be able to pick up many TV signals from my camping locations, most of which are anywhere from 50 to 80 miles from the TV transmitters. I was wondering what results other batwing users have had in terms of signal range. I am especially interested in HD signals since I will have an HDTV in the Sovereign. Also, can anyone tell me if adding an external amplifier would make much of a difference?
Thanks for any responses!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I am certainly no expert on the reception range of the batwing antennas, but I would be very surprised if one would consistently get HDTV broadcasts 50-80 miles from the broadcast tower. I have checked on using a large permanent antenna for home HDTV use under similar conditions and most manufacturers/retailers of those antennas indicate that their products are at their limits at those distances. If the signal received by the antenna is inadequate, there is probably little an amplifier can do.

If you really want HDTV, you might consider a satellite system. It is worth noting that most HDTVs small enough for use inside a trailer will give nearly as good a picture from a good digital input as from a HDTV source, but might lack the widescreen display.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Problem with DTV and Dish, is they do not offer HDTV locals, that I know of.They also do not offer the alternative program feeds that are available off air.

My batwing seems to work much better than my $39.95 Radio Shack homeantenna mounted at 15'. However, I get perfect digital pictures on all local stations here in the Gainesville area, but the analogs are noisy and almost unwatchable from my home location. But, I go out to the Airstream and they may not be perfect but watchable from the amplified Batwing.

Yes an additional amplifier MAY work. In order for amplifiers to work properly, they must have something to amplify.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have a old style beam antenna with a rotator on my house and get 4-5 channels clear most of the time with another 3-4 kind of fuzzy. I can use the amplified Winegard that is on the SOB that was in my yard and get 8 clear and 5-6 more fuzzy. I know for a fact I am over 70 miles straight line from at least 3 of the broadcast towers. I don't know about the HDTV signals, I am not set up for those...yet. Also anybody have any idea when they are going to do away with the old analog broadcast signal? FWIW in the Netherlands they IIRC they have done away with ALL broadcast signals. You have to have a dish or cable to get television.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
My Batwing with amplifier on works better than a tall amplified antenna at the house.
I now have dish at the house but I used to have to go to the Airstream to watch some football games. It depends on the station power and weather conditions but I could pick up (very clear) stations up to 90 miles out.

Garry
Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Thanks for all the replies.....I feel better now about being able to watch my football games this fall while camping!
Wahoonc...I am fairly sure the date for the analog sig cutoff is January 2009.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I didn't see any posts specifically answering your question, so:
Our Winegard SensarIII Batwing amplified antenna will easily pick up both analog and digital (HD) signals from over 50 miles away. I have picked up the Sarasota station from the parking lot where we live, 70+ miles away.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
It depends on the terrain. You could decent reception quite a ways off in wide open country (line of site to mountain top transmitter). If you throw in mountains, trees and buildings the reception quality shrinks quite a bit. FYI we have the Winegard HD converter box and it works fine with our batwing antenna and SD TV. We get 480 P DVD quality over the air (OTA).
-KL
Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
FYI - At home we get a great, free OTA HD signal (to our HD set) with an indoor antenna next to the TV. That is over 20 miles of wide open country from the mountain to our house.