Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
If you have a telephone toner you can just hook up the wires and a noise will be produced from each wire you test that corresponds to a speaker. These are available from home depot or lowes.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Or go back to Bart`s method for checking phase. It`s also a good method to determine which speaker is which. Take a AA cell, and put it across the + and - wires, very briefly: the speaker will click (if the speaker works).

Go one step further, and remove the grill; when the speaker`s cone comes toward you as you make the click, you are touching the + speaker wire to the + terminal of the battery.

It sounds a whole lot more complicated than it is.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Your Airstream may have common ground speaker wiring, which the radio isn't expecting and can't deal with. A quick search on Google turned up this (see page 3). The way to tell would be to test for continuity between the ground wires of the speakers.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
radio

OK, for starters the rear curbside is orange, not red. Each speaker has a second (black) wire. In looking behind the Airstream control panel I can see the speaker wires comming (from the roof area) down to behind the storage box under the control panel. I cannot (yet) see where they are connected (or how) to the wires that pluged into the radio. I also have not counted how many black wires come into the plug. I tried to look at Skaters info but could not get onto the page. I know ground is white, power is red (has an inline fuse) that leaves one green and one black on the radio plug/harness (old one) the connection has a plug that has a "Y" pattern on the pegs that carry current. Any more thoughts? It will be at least Friday before I can did in again. MPJ
Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
Got the page to view, interesting, but still not sure what one I have, float or common. Help! MPJ
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
FlyNavy,
we just upgraded our system with a Plyes am/fm/cd/weatherband/Sirius that has a port for usb or aux. The original speakers hold the load ok. Basically an in-dash boat radio.

We went with the WB due to all of the bad weather along the East Coast and it has the ability to be set to the NOAA station that is the closest. The aux we will connect our Sirius MP that we use elsewhere too, or we have the option of another XM account if we go full time eventually.

Our old radio's CD player was not working due to leaving a CD in there for five years, so it needed to come out. Guess doing that has a tendency to not make it work.

Pick it up on Amazon as a close out for about $84 down from $235.00 Hopefully I'll remember to take out the CD's when I use it.

We'll keep you posted on both pos and negatives.

I'll ask the techs at ODM, who installed it what was the diagram and hopefully get back to you over the next few days.

SL4BLLT
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Got the page to view, interesting, but still not sure what one I have, float or common. Help! MPJ
I don't know either - I haven't worked on one of those. If you have a multimeter, you can check for continuity between two of the negative wires.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
FlyNavy,
we just upgraded our system with a Plyes am/fm/cd/weatherband/Sirius that has a port for usb or aux. The original speakers hold the load ok. Basically an in-dash boat radio.
I think that you were wise to choose a unit that has both USB and AUX.

In this way, anything that you wish to play through it can be used right from the front panel. MP3s on a thumb drive, an iPod/iPhone or many other items will plug straight in.

For those who don't use the MP3 format yet, know that it is a very simple (and very low-cost) job to convert your CD collection so that a hug amount of it will fit on one tiny drive that just plugs into the face of such a radio.

With a little more work, cassettes and even LP records you own can be converted as well.