Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Question about Replacing the Television

We replaced the television in our trailer for 32" a Vizio.

We're able to watch DVD's and the new TV works fine. But now we're not able to get sound through the speakers.

We even tried hooking up the old TV and now the speakers no longer work on the old TV.

Any thoughts on how we troubleshoot?

THanks
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If Visio has a 3.5mm audio out port then you need to get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter.

Kelvin
Old 04-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
To expand upon Kelvin's response, if your prior TV had the usual non-OEM red and white RCA connectors that Airstream wires into the back of the TV, that was the means by which your old TV fed sound into the trailer speakers. Since your new TV would not have those after market wires, you need to use the "audio out" of the headphones jack on the back of your TV to now send TV sound to the trailer speakers, and you can do that using a headphone jack to RCA plug adapter. Hope that helps. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Hey..just saw your replies to my question. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I'm still a little confused, but we'll check out that RCA Adapter and see if that is the problem.

Thank you again, I appreciate your help.
WBCCI #7878
Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
If your 32" Vizio is like the one I just installed to replace the older Sony, you'll have two areas on the TV that will accept the red and white RCA cables.

One, on the back, goes along with the component cables (Blue/Green/Red) and these are inputs, not outputs. As an example, if you were wiring up a Blu-Ray player, the player would output the video through the component cables and the audio through the RCA cables. You don't want to plug your red and white cables here.

On the side of my TV, there's another area for RCA cables to plug in and these are your audio OUT areas. This is where you want to plug them in. This will allow the audio to exit your TV, go to the built-in stereo in the Airstream and then play through the Airstream's speakers.

You might also need to go into the TV's menus to select where your audio should be outputting. I can't remember if it was automatic (as in, the TV magically knows where to output) or manual.

If this doesn't work, can you provide the model number of your Vizio? We can see the input/outputs from their website and might be able to better guide you.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thanks LBOskiBear for more detailed information. This is great.

The Vizio TV we installed is model E320VA.

I'm attaching the PDF User Manual here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vizio_TV_E320VA.pdf (1.90 MB, 39 views)
WBCCI #7878
Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I think the problem is that your TV doesn't output via RCA audio cables - not surprising for a newer TV.

It will output either via digital audio (the one your manual calls SPDIF) or HDMI.
In the old days, video and audio cables were separate. HDMI cables can carry both in one cable.

However, if you just need to output audio, the SPDIF/Digital Audio port will allow you to do so. One question is what type of cable/connection do you have for your Airstream? I see you have a newer model, so not sure if Airstream moved to something a bit more high-tech than red and white RCA audio cables?

If not, they do sell Digital Audio to RCA adapters - just did a search on Amazon and it seems they have them.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thank you again.

I did a search on Amazon, is this what you mean when you refer to a "Digital Audio to RCA adapters".

http://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-...o+RCA+adapters

As for the rest, unless there is a way for me to plug something in here and something in there, I may have to defer to someone who is more knowledgeable about this type of thing to actually make this work. For now, we're just watching DVD movies with regular TV sound. Better than nothing.

Thank you again!
WBCCI #7878
Old 05-11-2016, 12:22 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Yes, that looks like something that should work.

You would need the converter and a digital audio cable, also known as an Optical Toslink Cable. That'll plug into the SPDIF output space on your TV and then into the converter box. Then, you plug in the red and white RCA cables (presumably coming out of the wall of your Airstream where the TV is mounted) to the converter box.

What then should happen is the TV audio exits your TV via the digital audio cable, enters the converter box, and then exits the converter box via the red/white RCA cables. Those RCA cables run to your stereo receiver which then spits out the sound via your speakers.

I think the only other issue is if you actually have those red and white RCA cables in your Airstream that run to your stereo and speakers. I do on mine, but my Airstream is a 2008 model. As yours is a 2013, I was thinking there was something more contemporary and of a higher quality than the old-fashioned red and white RCA cables. Frankly, I'm surprised my 2008 still has them.

However, to the extent you do, the above should do the trick. If not, then the next step is to figure out what is creating the audio connection between your TV and speakers.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:40 AM   #10
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Have you ever considered not replacing it?
I never understood why people would go on vacation and bring along that idiot box with them.
They just miss out on so much.
Families who don't watch TV are generally happier, closer, smarter and even healthier.
Think about it.

Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My 2012 has plain old analog, red and white, audio cables from the TV. Airstream modified the TV, drilled a hole in the back, to connect the audio cables as the then stock Samsung does not have ANY audio out jacks. Another lowest cost item.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote