Old 08-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
I approve of this message
2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Thumbs up Product review: Chestnut Hill Sound - "George" iPod system

So, I picked up the Chestnut Hill Sound "George" iPod player solution for my Airstream. George features an iPod dock, stereo speakers and amplification, clever front panel which doubles as the RF remote control, AM/FM radio tuner, alarm and sleep timer. The primary application for George is the "clock-radio" of the new millennium and in that role, I have not seen a better implementation.

Use - to start you connect the George unit via included USB cable to your PC. George use this connection to check for updates which are applied to keep the update current and in sync with iPod updates. After applying updates, disconnect George from PC and select the dock adapter (included) for your iPod and dock. George instantly "syncs" your catalog to the panel/remote. This then allows you ability to detach the panel and have complete access to all of the features (playlists, genres, albums, artists, etc.) as well as play/pause, volume and time.

In addition to iPod command and control, George integrates an AM/FM radio tuner which is also controlled by the nifty remote control. Both the sleep feature and the dual alarm control either the IPod or the radio so you can go to sleep listening to radio and wake up to your favorite iPod playlist song.

Sound - Fidelity is one of the areas of focus for Chestnut Hill Sound and they have delivered a package with great range, tonal qualities and volume appropriate for a normal size room (bedroom, dorm room, office, etc.) which is perfect for the Airstream. Unit features (2) 2-way main speakers and a sub-woofer which combine to deliver high quality music in a fairly compact, integrated, although heavy table-top package.

Upgradeable - the included USB port allows Chestnut Hill to continually make available software updates as well as new feature upgrades.

Price - At $549, the unit is not cheap and I was not able to find any discounts online or otherwise

Expandability - George features a pre-amp out which would allow it to be used as an input source for larger home audio systems. This allows use of the remote to control the iPod played through the your Airstream system if you have the A/V option with "audio in" as I do in my '06 CCD.

Summary - Fantastic sound and features which allow full use, control and ejoyment of iPod! A/C is the only supported power source so shore power or inverter required
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote