Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Portable satellite disk

We are new to rving and hope to own an Airstream in the very near future. We are trying to find a portable Direct TV satellite disk and every place we call that Direct TV points us to doesn't even seem to know what we are talking about. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here's a link to a site where I got my Dish Tailgater and receiver. They carry Direct equipment also. Satellite Equipment - Shop at SolidSignal.com

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I gave up on a manual dish. Too much hassle adjusting the elevation, azimuth and skew by hand. I settled on a DISH Tailgater. Just plug it in and push a few buttons and voila, TV. You have to use a specific receiver in tandem. A model that does both Dish and Direct is available for more $.

You can get a roof mounted antennae, but a portable dish does not limit you to parking with a clear view to the south sky.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #4

Fenton , Missouri
One thing to note however, is that the Tailgater equivalent for Direct or the dual unit that can use either service, cannot get Direct's HD service. That was a major reason why I chose Dish over Direct. If you use a Direct dish on a stand that you aim yourself, you can get Direct's HD feed.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
If you already have Direct TV, and are on a budget like most, go to eBay. You can get everything there. Get a spare receiver from Direct, use it in the trailer with a portable dish.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I bought by impulse (it was on sale at Camping World) Winegard portable. I bought a satellite finder too. (All with 30 day return if I did not like it). Once I got used to 'finding' the satellite it has worked just great. We just take our Directv standard satellite box.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I bought by impulse (it was on sale at Camping World) Winegard portable. I bought a satellite finder too. (All with 30 day return if I did not like it). Once I got used to 'finding' the satellite it has worked just great. We just take our Directv standard satellite box.
Neil
Nice unit Neil. Is it pretty stable in the wind?

Jack

For those who haven't seen a Tailgater setup, here's a video. What is most interesting if you stick with watching is that they take off the top of of unit which allows you to see the workings in action. You never do this (unless you want to void the warranty), but it is interesting to see what's inside the box and how it functions.

AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We've got a Winegard "Carryout", have had it for 3 years, it works great. Set it up and unless there are trees or other things in the way, you'll be watching TV inside of 10 minutes. It's compatible with either Dish, Direct, and a couple of others, but you have to change the DIP switches inside the dome...
There is a tie down on the bottom to secure it from wind or theft. Check with "Tweeties" in Texas. For whatever it's worth, Camping World usually has the highest prices...
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post

For those who haven't seen a Tailgater setup, here's a video.
I was told by DISH not to place the TV on top of the receiver, as shown in the video, because it blocks the ventilation holes and can cause overheating.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Nice unit Neil. Is it pretty stable in the wind?

Jack
I declined the $60-$70 leg accessory . I found that my small round collapsible table works well. There is a cap on the lower case of the satellite base to put about a gallon of water or sand to give the unit some stabilization. I've had no problem in breezy conditions however there is an 'eye' on the bottom to connect a cable to an anchor into the ground. I've used the dish with up to more than 100' of coax cable. We usually dry camp in the trees. Now when I scout out campsites I need to find one with a clear view of the southern sky. But should for any reason my location will not work.......I get over it. I bought this set up as we were camping during last years Olympics. In the fall when my son-in law joins us with our daughter and grandkids he always asks, "Will you be able to get the Cal game"? Ultimate tailgating....in a campground. He brings the beer.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
All of you are so kind to respond to my question! Thank you so much! Until the day we own an Airstream, we will just be dreaming of it! I love this forum! Such good information!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #12

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I was told by DISH not to place the TV on top of the receiver, as shown in the video, because it blocks the ventilation holes and can cause overheating.

Agreed. This led me to why I got the 211z receiver rather than the more common 211k. Since I have limited space to put the receiver and TV (on top of the microwave/convection storage cabinet in my Classic, the 211z is about 1/3 smaller. This gives space for the TV and the receiver and for us, the cell phones. Dish's receivers need all their ventilation since these units always have electronics working, even though you turn them off.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15