Old 07-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Ok...here is how it works for picking up "local" tv...they broadcast in 240,480,720,and 1080i....i is for interlace. It's late,and I do not want to bore you. I used a piece of coax cable 20 feet long strung through the trees at the peace river camp ground to watch the college football games last year...in HD...basically 1080i. I split the last 5 feet of cable from the copper stinger,and exposed the ground. I split these two components and strung them in a tree...wiggle it around for best reception. Normally, I use a yagi double dipole to get a few extra miles of reception...you either get it digitally,or not. There's not the "snow" channel problem. With a directional yagi double dipole , i may get a station that is 50 miles away....without it,you are limited to around 40 miles of reception area. The old crank up antennae on the AS units are ok with reception....but you can increase your reception by adding a directional antenna and a motor with RG6 cable,OR go with a newer omni directional antenna. Either way,on sunday morning....be prepared to watch a thousand baptists pay homage to benny hahn,or watch some really serious news reporters discussing local and national politics. Me....I'll take channel 3 all day long. I watched the gator/bama/ SEC playoff game in HD in the middle of nowhere using some old speaker wire and a coathanger. The liqour was good,the women were young,and the fresh herbs were...well...fresh. And...yes...the TV MUST be HD capable...or it won't get HD. NOT 1080p,1080i,or 720.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I installed a "Jack" antenna for my 66 Tradewind. It works great. See posts 20-22 of the following link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...s-94152-2.html

Dan

Old 07-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Digital is going out in the UHF frequency spectrum. If your old antenna could pick up UHF, it can pick up digital. My Winegard batwing antenna that came with my trailer in 2004 picks up digital. I did add the digital "enhancement" piece which for all intents boots UHF signals.

I've had the HD TV for a few years now and prior to that I got a free converter/tuner that I used with the old analog TV.

The biggest issue is finding the stations. It's a real pain due to digital signals are very directional. If you have towers in many directions, you have to re-adjust the antenna to get a signal from a specific station. In analog days you'd see a snowy picture. With digital you either have a picture or you don't. Personally while I love the picture, it made tuning a lot more difficult. That's what led me to going to satellite and a Dish Tailgater. If I have a southwest view, I set the Tailgater on the ground and let it aim itself.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
swampthang7: The old-school antennas on Airstreams *are* directional, but they have that old 300-ohm twin-lead. Once you crank the antenna up, you can turn it. Much like the new ones, really. It's not a motorized directional control, though.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I originally bought a 15" analog TV for our trailer. Later it needed a converter box. I replaced this TV with a new digital model with a 22" screen. No more converter box. So far, with my new digital TV, I don't have to raise or rotate my antenna for good reception.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
swampthang7: The old-school antennas on Airstreams *are* directional, but they have that old 300-ohm twin-lead. Once you crank the antenna up, you can turn it. Much like the new ones, really. It's not a motorized directional control, though.
Thanks for letting me know that...mine is non functional for now...might play with it next week to see how it works. The crank is broken.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthang7 View Post
Thanks for letting me know that...mine is non functional for now...might play with it next week to see how it works. The crank is broken.
Parts are available to fix the worm-gear mechanism that raises and lowers it.

Braund worm gear kit.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Thanks SATX...much obliged for the link.I'll tear the old one down tomorrow,and see what gives. Do you do linear dishes,and C-band?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Bethesda , Maryland
There has always been a large amount of confusion regarding digital TV. I spent the first half of 2009 traveling around trying to educate people on it. I'm no engineer, but talked with plenty about the issues.

As someone mentioned, radio waves are radio waves, no changes there. However the encoding system changed (that's why you need a digital TV) and that did change reception patterns as digital receivers really needed a higher quality signal (multipathing is commonly tossed out, which explains lousy reception in Manhattan where many broadcast antennae are located). A good antenna will reduce the effect of multipathing and therefore help in urban areas as well as mountainous regions. I am a big fan of Winegard because I think they put effort into design. But be aware that different antennas will work better under different circumstances. As Swampthang7 mentioned, a bare wire may work just fine.

If you want to get the full complement of stations, you need to have an antenna that has VHF and UHF elements. While many more stations are now UHF, in most cities at least one major network remained in the VHF band. And VHF can be a bitch to pick up (just the opposite from the analog days). Directional can be quite good if all of your stations are in the same direction. This is commonly the case when you are in outer suburbs. If you are at the edge of the metropolitan area, such as Kenosha, WI you may have stations in two directions (Chicago and Milwaukee). However, because the stations tend to be the same networks, a directional antenna can just be pointed at those you want (Chicago, for instance).

Which way do I point my antenna? Look at TV Fool or AntennaWeb - Home

Finally, the receiver in your TV is probably more important than the brand of antenna. This is where many of the problems get sorted out. Smart engineers can do wonders. I would go to consumer reports and focus on their evaluation of the receiver quality of the TV.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
King Jack Digital Antenna Install Questions

We have a 2006 19' Bambi Safari SE, and the batwing antenna has broken, so we are using this as an opportunity to upgrade to the King Jack Antenna (Model OA8200 ... pic below). It replaces the crank-up antenna so the arm will go away.

Has anyone done this on a newer model 19' Bambi? The antenna itself gets good reviews, but each rig is a little different...

My concerns are:
(1) the spacing/position of the antenna relative to clearing the Fantastic Vent...

(2) the availability of 12v at the antenna interior base in the ceiling, which has LED lights to indicate signal strength... There is a wall plate similar to the one in it now (but without the 12v outlet, which I don't want to loose if I don't have to) to send 12v to the antenna... Will the current plate work with the Jack and send 12v power to it ... or do I need to replace the current wall plate with the one that comes with the unit?

Any hints, tips or pitfalls experienced will be helpful. I am having it installed by Oasis RV in Tucson. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	King Jack Anetenna.png
Views:	104
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	233174  
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
If that doesn't pan out you can get another batwing mount and King sells their head in a kit meant for Winegard mounts.

Kelvin
Old 04-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Analog broadcast is dead and gone. It's all digital now. HD is a subset of digital; all HD is digital, but not all digital is HD. So, if you want to pick up broadcast television, you need at least a digital antenna. But if you want to view broadcast HD, you really need an HD antenna and an HD television.,,,.
Excuse me but... that's pure baloney.

My 2008 Sport came with a Mitsubishi analog flat screen which does not have a digital/HD receiver so I bought a new HD TV at WM (El Cheapo brand)_ and installed it.
This Airstream is sitting INSIDE my all metal hangar (steel bldg), 40 miles out west of Austin and 90 miles north of San Antonio and 80 miles SW of Wacko, Texas...and my Sport retains it's original "analog" Winegard batwing with NO side-lobe at all!.. and it picks up 32 HD channels from Austin, San Antonio, Waco, etc etc just fine! If ever there was a reason for an antenna NOT to work...it'd be INSIDE an all metal bldg!
I don't even have to "rotate" it to receive most of those channels, the pic an audio is fine! It even receives when laid down.
DO NOT FALL for HD antenna hype! HD air broadcast requires no special "digital" or "HD" antennas at all. Pure BS.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #27
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Mostly hype, yes, except for the uhf/vhf changes. Of olden time, the most widely watched channels in most areas were vhf. In the dtv migration most of the vhf stations have moved to the uhf spectrum. Older antenna setups were better optimized for vhf.. newer ones are better optimized for uhf.

The Winegard "batwing" is a balanced design that gets both vhf and uhf, still imo the best available for rv use.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
No Reception

I purchased a 2012 International Serenity this past summer. I have tried on several occasions to receive a broadcast TVsignal with no luck. Is there magic to this that is not in the airstream book? ( I know, what book?)

I have:
turned on the Samsung Flat Screen HD TV
Raised the Winegard antennae
Selected the source to be the Antenna
Searched for channels
and get nothing but snow.

What am I missing?

3.31 Diff. and Tow Package
Flo - '12 AS International Serenity M-30'
Dlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote