Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Out with the old, in with the new (Audio Visual upgrade)

Well I finally got around to replacing the original 2008 Sony MX DVD player / head unit and CD changer that came stock in my trailer.

I updated the system to a double DIN, touch-screen Pioneer head unit (AVH-X3800BHS) paired with 4 Polk Audio DB651 full-range speakers. I kept the existing subwoofer. Full cost was about $350 plus some miscellaneous bits... so maybe $400 total. I chose the AVH-X3800-BHS from pioneer because it has no moving parts (no flip up screen), has a ton of features like HD radio, Pandora and iPhone/iPad integration via bluetooth, excellent sound output quality and fully compatible with my current wiring for integration with my TV (composite Video OUT and Aux audio IN for watching DVDs on the TV and playing TV audio over the system speakers)

In the end, the sound quality is absolutely night and day. So so much more crisp and clear with defined highs and lows, and no distortion. My only complaint is that I didn't do this upgrade sooner!!

Below are some of the details of the install for those who are interested.... the system pretty much kicks butt! Impressive Sound!

Install details...

First, my 2008 international 25SS had the "Audio Video Upgrade" which basically equates to a RATS NEST of wiring, most of it useless. The upgrade included a 10-disc Sony CD changer, multiple AUX inputs and Sony switching bus, outdoor speaker switch (but no outdoor speakers or wires?!) and a sub-woofer.

STEP 1: Out with the Old....

Removed the Sony CD changer which was a price of cake... 4 screws + unplug wires. I then removed the side panel in the overhead bin to expose the dreaded rats nest... then popped out the current head unit using 2 removal tools I bought on Ebay for $5.

STEP 2: Once I spilled the wiring guts into to the overhead bin I carefully dismantled things and removed wiring components that were no longer necessary. God bless airstream, I am sure it seemed like a good idea at the time but the original system wiring was unnecessarily complicated. This included the inside/outside speaker switch, Sony AUX input switch, wiring harness, etc.. I emailed Airstream support last week and then sent me the original wiring diagrams for the trailer so fortunately I was prepared in advance for the mess, which was very helpful.

STEP 3: I carefully labeled the key wires for the new pioneer harness.... Power, Ground, indoor speakers (4), sub-woofer signaling line, and RCA connections: video OUT to the TV (for playing DVDs), Audio IN from the TV for playing TV audio over system speakers and finally the sub-woofer line level L/R outputs.

STEP 4: Time to cut a larger opening in the overhead bin... The double DIN unit is the same width as the old stereo, but much taller. Using the generic Clarion bracket I purchased for $25 as a template, I traced out the new opening, then masked it off, measured again, then measured once more, and using a jig saw with a fine blade for laminate started cutting. Measure twice cut once worked out - my dry fit was perfect and I was off to the races....

STEP 5: Power up.... I test fit the head unit in the new bracket and connected just the Positive and Negative leads from the wiring harness to my trailer 12v supply. Unit powered up, onwards and upwards...

STEP 6: Connected the Pioneer harness... I used twist locks for connecting all the speaker wires from the radio harness to the system speaker wires. That worked out really well. For power, ground and sub-woofer remote signal I used regular electrical connectors and electrical tape. Because of US regulations, the pioneer (and other) DVD head units require you to connect the unit to the positive side of a hand brake... once you turn on, then off, then back on the handbrake you can watch video and access all system settings. Well as we all know airstreams don't have handbrakes so for $15 I purchased a small signaling unit to emulate the on-off-on sequence for the handbrake input so that the unit will be full functional. That was also wired in...

STEP 7: Speaker installation. Speaker installation was pretty straight forward.
Removed the old ones (4 screws each), drilled new holes (hole pattern for Polk's was different), connected the leads and mounted the 4 speakers and grills.

STEP 8: Testing. Plugged in the wiring harness and RCA cables to the head unit, as well as the antenna lead, pushed the unit back into the mounting sleeve and tested everything out. I couldn't hear the TV initially because I had the RCA cables from the TV Audio output attached to the "AV" RCA inputs vs the "AUX" 3.5mm audio input. Luckily I had a 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter in the garage so that was a quick fix... Everything worked great out of the box. I was able to pair my iPhone, play pandora from the head unit menu, play Amazon Music app, send DVD video to the TV, and hear TV audio from an over the air broadcast on the system sound...

STEP 8: Buttoning up. Cleaned up all the mess, taped up the wiring harness so it is neat and tidy, permanently secured the head unit Clarion bracket, attached head unit to bracket with supplied screws, attached the plastic radio surround trim using 2-sided tape, and re-secured the inside panel within the storage bin. I kept the 1970's looking input and speaker switch panels for now, there are no wires off the back of them (I cut them all off), but I'll eventually replace the entire panel with a new one when I get around to it...

Good little project, and the sound is phenomenal so I'm a rapper camper!

Pictures attached....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	278532   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	278533  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	278534   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	278535  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	278536   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	278537  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	278538   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	278539  

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	278540   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	278541  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Remaining pictures.... Apologies that there are a few that are rotated... the forum tool must be doing this, there are correct orientation on my laptop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	278544   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	278545  

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	278546   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	278547  

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	278548  
Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Nice job and great explanation. Rat's nest indeed.

So whadidja play first?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Nice work!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Cranked up some Damian Marley to test out the low end... then onto some Norah Jones vocals and then Coldplay...

Man that old setup was just the pits... I never knew what I was missing...
Old 01-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Awesome work and write Up!

Thanks,
Troutboy
Old 01-22-2017, 06:07 AM   #7
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
In the same situation

Wulfraat – Nice work with the upgrade! Looks like you put as much work into the write up as you did doing the job. Thank you for taking the time to outline the great step by step process and including the “how to” pictures too!

We’ve also got a new to us 2008 Trailer. It’s got the same changer and similar setup to yours. Our control head is a Sony system that sits inside a front overhead cabinet behind a closed door. It’s an overly complex hard to understand system that is just begging to be updated.

Thanks for sharing!

Tom
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Nice Job! I appreciate the details.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Good job Wulraat. This is on my someday list.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Nice job and great write-up! I'm thinking of this upgrade for this coming summer when we get back home. However, I am not as ambitious or capable as you are and will have the dealer do this for me.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #11
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Nice job and great write-up! I'm thinking of this upgrade for this coming summer when we get back home. However, I am not as ambitious or capable as you are and will have the dealer do this for me.

For what it is worth I would not go to the dealer, if I were going to outsource the work I'd go to a car stereo shop. For instance - the dealer will not likely understand how to bypass the parking brake feature lock using a 3rd party signaling diode.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
wulfraat - great upgrade, thanks for sharing the details.

Where is your factory sub-woofer located? I think my '07 Int. has the same wiring as yours but the sub may have been removed by the previous owner. Thanks.
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
All set for Super Bowl 2017! Looks great!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Out with the old, in with the new (Audio Visual upgrade)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
wulfraat - great upgrade, thanks for sharing the details.

Where is your factory sub-woofer located? I think my '07 Int. has the same wiring as yours but the sub may have been removed by the previous owner. Thanks.

The sub is under my couch in the front of the coach... if you email airstream customer support with your year and model they will send you the wiring diagrams and associated schematics.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Wulfraat, did you wire an on/off switch to the subwoofer? My understanding is they will draw amps all the time if you don't use a switch.

Thanks,
Troutboy
Old 01-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Pioneer Install

I have the same Sony unit in my 2009 19' International. The changer went TU long ago and the sound from CD player is "lumpy." Your replacement looks like just what I need. Thanks for the write up. But, could I get some more info on the signalling unit that emulates the handbrake function? What am I looking for here and where can I get it?

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #17
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
There is a blue/white wire from the head unit that signals the sub on/off. So if your head unit is off so is the sub.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
I have the same Sony unit in my 2009 19' International. The changer went TU long ago and the sound from CD player is "lumpy." Your replacement looks like just what I need. Thanks for the write up. But, could I get some more info on the signalling unit that emulates the handbrake function? What am I looking for here and where can I get it?

The device is made by microbypass.... I bought it on amazon. Here is a video that explains how it works and how to wire it up:

And link to amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/MicroBypass-A.../dp/B00A9AQPUU

Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Were you able to get the "generic Clarion bracket" online?

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #20
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Yup. Clarion part number 2DBKT... bought it on amazon. Also available on eBay, crutchfield, etc. etc...