Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Old vinyl and cassettes

First I am not ashamed to admit I am electronically challenged.

Assuming you know what vinyl and cassette tapes are, I am looking for recommendations for transferring to a format better suited for traveling and camping. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
For the vinyl, a USB turntable and coverting software. Same software fro the tapes attached to a stereo and the same software. Audacity Software.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
First I am not ashamed to admit I am electronically challenged.

Assuming you know what vinyl and cassette tapes are, I am looking for recommendations for transferring to a format better suited for traveling and camping. Thanks.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
For the vinyl, a USB turntable and coverting software. Same software fro the tapes attached to a stereo and the same software. Audacity Software.

Bill
Converting to what please? CD, smart phone, mp3? I have my old turntable but it is not a MSB turntable. Can I plug it into something with the RCA plugs?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I have danced this dance. I have found that most of my musical needs are satisfied by Pandora. The free version. You can play it through Bluetooth, and if your head unit in the trailer is not Bluetooth friendly, then it is a simple $100 upgrade.

I was no longer willing to spend the time transferring my analog music to another medium, for the relatively brief periods I wanted to listen to that music while camping.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Don't spend money on new gear such as a USB turntable. Spend it on downloading MP3 versions of the music you like to your phone or a dedicated MP3 player. Plug that via an aux cable into an existing stereo if yours has an aux input. If not, buy a portable speaker. Recharge both the MP3 player and the speaker either when you've got a generator running, in the tow vehicle when it is running, or off your solar array.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would convert any CD's you have to MP3 and buy MP3 or CD versions of the stuff you have on vinyl and tape. The goal here is to have your entire music collection on a memory stick that you put in an MP3 player. I prefer to have CD's as masters to make MP3's from. I think the Microsoft Zune player is still downloadable and it will convert them to MP3 for you if you have a PC to put it on. If you have no computer skills then just start over buying MP3 versions of your music. You still need to be able to get them on to whatever MP3 player your going to use. There are also streaming services and satellite radio that might be of interest to you. If you have a smart phone, you can use it to store and play music as well as stream stuff off the internet if you have a data plan.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
You should be able to plug the turntable into an amplifier and then the amplifier into the input jack on your computer. Record the record and convert to MP3 or Apple and then copy to a MP3 player or Ipod. I currently have over 13,000 songs on my IPod and still have about four feet of old vinyl to convert.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Converting to what please? CD, smart phone, mp3? I have my old turntable but it is not a MSB turntable. Can I plug it into something with the RCA plugs?
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is a time consuming task.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
You should be able to plug the turntable into an amplifier and then the amplifier into the input jack on your computer. Record the record and convert to MP3 or Apple and then copy to a MP3 player or Ipod. I currently have over 13,000 songs on my IPod and still have about four feet of old vinyl to convert.

Bill
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Yes it is, but I have the vinyl and searching for all of that online would take time and if they have to be purchased it would be money, if everything is available. I still have the hard copy if something goes bad with the music stored on the cloud, I don't use cellular date to listen and don't need a connection to listen.

To each his own.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
It is a time consuming task.

Perry
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Some town , Tennessee
MP3 FORMAT
Buy a iPod or any smart phone with 64 gb of storage eBay , Droid Motor Z there about $250.00 you can convert for months on end or download Pandora and pay $5.00 a month and get unlimited music. The only problem with transferring music from vinyl to Mp3 is it's a ten step process.
It's like pirating movies from Vhs to DVD because it's not in digital format it's time consuming can you do yes. Can you do it all in ten years I am positive you can.
Smart phones are actually simple it's just figuring out how to do it on them. I recommend Droid turbo or Moto z because I throw them often and the usually don't break.
Twinkie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
As far as Pandora, my favorite artists are from the 60s and 70s and somewhat esoteric. I doubt Pandora would have many recordings, although I have never used Pandora. If one of you Pandora users is willing to run a test; check out Country Joe and the Fish. Right now I am in a Richie Havens phase who is more widely known if you want to check that would help me decide if I want to pursue Pandora.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
I stream music in my home and vehicles mostly with Pandora and some with Tidal. With Pandora, you can create your own stations which will then play your favorite songs and will also play music from similar artists. For instance, you may like Shawn Colvin and create a station. When it plays Sunny Came Home, you can click on the “thumb’s up” button. If you don’t like a song, just click on the “thumb’s down” button or fast forward button. You will discover all sorts of music from many artists. When at home, I use SONOS. In my vehicles, I use the Bluetooth connection.

I have given up on XM, period. One phone call to this company should suffice to convince you to seek other alternatives.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Country Joe is waiting for you on Pandora. The Fish will be in attendance as well....
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Old vinyl and cassettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
Don't spend money on new gear such as a USB turntable. Spend it on downloading MP3 versions of the music you like to your phone or a dedicated MP3 player. Plug that via an aux cable into an existing stereo if yours has an aux input. If not, buy a portable speaker. Recharge both the MP3 player and the speaker either when you've got a generator running, in the tow vehicle when it is running, or off your solar array.

Ditto. We had a yard sale several years ago and I sold 200+/- LP’s. The buyers were predominantly college aged and they snapped them up like candy. I was happy and a little richer, they were ecstatic.

I have all the music I need at my fingertips now on any device I carry.

Old school recordings are fine and are said to have depth and character lacking in today’s digital recording world. Maybe true, but my ears don’t work as well as they use to so I will never know the difference.

YMMV

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #15
Old Sailor

1983 34' Excella
Victoria , Texas
The last post notwithstanding, I was about to, and still will, recommend SiriusXM Radio. When you look at their channel lineup (https://www.siriusxm.com/channellineup?) I'm sure you can find some music and other channels to enjoy. For $20 a month, what's not to like?

I was sitting in my truck, in my driveway, in El Paso, Texas when their midwest satellite went on line maybe twenty years ago and have been an avid customer ever since. I listen mostly to the older music channels and especially enjoy Fox News, the Comedy and Old Time Radio channels. That being said, I have converted my extra-special favorite music to digital and have it on an external hard drive that I can use with my desktop computer or laptop when on the road. I have a second XM radio in my truck because I'm too lazy to be swapping one radio between the truck and trailer.

As far as how to get your music transferred, I would think that all you would need is a stereo cable with RCA connectors on one end and a 3.5mm Miniplug on the other. Just plug the RCA plugs into your stereo and the Miniplug into your computer. Use GOOGLE to get instructions as to how to record your music onto your hard drive.

Good luck,
Mac
"Mollie Bug" The Boston Terrier
WBCCI #4456 - Born to Cruise
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Going Where , The Climate Suits Our Clothes
MP3 is the standard format that will be usable everywhere easily. I would steer away from the Apple format because you can end up getting stuck with it and not having it play everywhere. But if you're a life-long Apple person then it may work well for you.

If you are getting rid of the vinyl then maybe you can do a trade with someone in return for burning the media to mp3 files. If you're keeping the vinyl, great! Digital storage is cheap so I would recommend encoding at a high bit rate, like 256kbps. It will be an option in the software you use to convert.

The cassettes? Meh. Burn them into MP3s if you can, but that media is not worth saving unless you are using it yourself or have some rare demo tapes.

I use Spotify rather than Pandora and pay ($10 a month I believe). That payment gives me access to entire albums as well as singles. It's an extensive library, 3 original Country Joe albums (1967-1970) and a few more including live from Fillmore. You'll be surprised that the stuff is on there. One nice feature is the ability to download albums/songs to listen to when offline. They are temporarily stored on your phone or computer so you won't use mobile data. Just select them to download when you are on wifi.

The one downside of these systems (Spotify, Pandora, etc) is that you're renting the music, not owning. Once you stop paying you lose the ability to select and curate your own playlists. If you're not paying then you lose the ability of skipping (unlimited) songs and customizing playlists with individual songs. Has to do with song royalty rates. The rate is lower when the service operates more like a radio station by limiting your ability to customize.
Beerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Does anyone rip to FLAC or other lossless formats? And what is the best archiving software?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
When converting from analog to digital, it is done in real time. So, a 45 minute cassette tape takes 45 minutes to convert. Then there is the problem of breaking an album into separate songs unless you do them one at a time. Not a hands off, set it and come back later solution.

We visit libraries a lot in our travels; free WiFi, ability to print and scan, etc. Many have digital audio collections ( CD’s) and they will allow you to borrow without a card as long as you keep on site. With a CD reader equipped laptop and software mentioned previously in this thread, you can convert a 45 minute DVD in 5 minutes or so. Will they have Country Joe, Arlo Guthrie, Seatrain, King Havest, et al; highly unlikely but I have run across some surprising albums in various libraries around the country.

Another free online source to consider is YouTube. While visually focused, there is a lot of music out there which can be downloaded quickly with a Web browser add- in. Downside is that the audio is usually of lower bit rate quality

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Everyone else on here is right about downloading digital files or using Pandora and Sirius, too, but they either cost money or eat bandwidth. If you have time to make the digital recordings, you're ahead of the game and will have the music for free instead of buying it again or eating bandwidth.

If you happen to be running a Mac, you can use Garage Band to capture audio inputs. It does take time, but you can sit and listen while checking and responding to latest TV/hitch/front-rear bunk debate on Airstream Forums. :-)

Since you're old school about this, I'm guessing that you have an old amp and that the amp has an RCA tape output. You can find analog to digital converters at reasonable prices that you can plug into an USB port. Just looked on Amazon - pages of converters available for $15-50. You don't need to buy a whole turntable to make conversions.

Record an entire tape or album side digitally, then you can look at the file visually on the Garage Band software and see the 'gaps' between the tracks on the interface. You can cut the large file into smaller tracks very easily, and delete the unwanted tracks. You can also save the files as any number of file formats and sampling rates (file size versus sound quality).

Once you complete the editing, you can import the files into iTunes or whatever software you're using to put music on your mobile device. You can even put the files on a thumb drive (portable memory stick) and plug them into modern car audio systems via the USB port and listen to them.

It takes a while, but I set up my turntable next to my computer and let it run while I listened. Did an album a night, and dragged/dropped the completed files into iTunes as I got them done. A little at a time...and a trip down memory lane.

I'm sure there's similar software available on a PC. Here's an article on it for a PC. https://lifehacker.com/222394/alpha-...cassette-tapes

Lot's of links on Google to learn how to do this.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thanks Yippie,
My usual computer is a Mac, but I do also have access to a PC. I think your post may get me going in the right direction