Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There use to be a program called diamond cut for the PC that would clean up the pops and crackles. My dad used it and he was about as computer illiterate as they come. I think a lot of your CD software like Roxio and Nero have analog to digital recorders built into them. Apple may have a better system more integrated into the operating system.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
To me it all comes down to numbers.
How much music do you have?
How much time do you have?
How quickly will you become tired of the process?
How much will you have to invest in the equipment to get it done?

Been there, done that, the process is quite involved, as noted earlier. Do you listen to every track played so that you can stop and start recording between each? Can you set it to record for 45 minutes straight and then can your software cut it up to break them apart? Then you need to label the metadata correctly, album, track number, artist, song title, etc for every single track, so that it is findable and playable or your just playing blind and might as well listen to radio. There are places that can and will do it all for you for a price, again what's the number?

Pandora, as mentioned earlier, is one option, except you need to be online to play it, although you can play it free with commercials and restrictions.

Another option, if you are a Amazon Prime member, is their music unlimited, it is $79/year, has over 10 million songs and gives you the ability to download the ones you want to play when boondocking out of coverage and won't have commercials.

I just checked and unlimited has just about every Country Joe and the Fish album

The other thing is with any online method, you will be exposed to similar styles and artists, which will allow you find other music you like just as much.

Good luck
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
To me it all comes down to numbers.
How much music do you have?
How much time do you have?
How quickly will you become tired of the process?
How much will you have to invest in the equipment to get it done?

Been there, done that, the process is quite involved, as noted earlier. Do you listen to every track played so that you can stop and start recording between each? Can you set it to record for 45 minutes straight and then can your software cut it up to break them apart? Then you need to label the metadata correctly, album, track number, artist, song title, etc for every single track, so that it is findable and playable or your just playing blind and might as well listen to radio. There are places that can and will do it all for you for a price, again what's the number?

Pandora, as mentioned earlier, is one option, except you need to be online to play it, although you can play it free with commercials and restrictions.

Another option, if you are a Amazon Prime member, is their music unlimited, it is $79/year, has over 10 million songs and gives you the ability to download the ones you want to play when boondocking out of coverage and won't have commercials.

I just checked and unlimited has just about every Country Joe and the Fish album

The other thing is with any online method, you will be exposed to similar styles and artists, which will allow you find other music you like just as much.

Good luck
First I am not what I consider to be an audiophile. I can live with scratches and pops and less than perfect audio. I am guessing I have about 1000 vinyls and another 500 cassettes. I have converted several hundred vinyls to CDs using a Crosely system. I also mostly listen to music driving and while in the bathroom. I want to do this inexpensively and simply. Right now I do not have a way of converting cassette tapes. I am kind of sentimental about my cassettes.

When converting vinyl to CD I will play a whole side without separating cuts on the CD so I am OK with just being able to find the artist or the album.

Can music from Pandora be downloaded to another device for use when I don't have a signal. Is Pandora Satellite or radio?

OK, I'm impressed that Country Joe can be found. How about a more esoteric challenge, Reverend Billy C Wirtz? The Fugs?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Some town , Tennessee
I just threw out 6000 Cds I am sure you can convert music but analog to digital is a different monster of sorts. I have records from way back I would love to but I have to wash my hair.
Pandora is streamed it's neither radio not satellite it's an app using cellular service or wifi
If your going to opt for Amazon unlimited music ask any one with an account but they can gift you Amazon prime for a year for free
Twinkie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Reverend Billy C Wirtz? The Fugs? yes and yes. I think that if you get set up with Pandora, you will likely get settled into a whole new pattern of listening. You will hear your favorites to be sure, but you will discover many songs that you like. If I were you, I might head over to an audio store and talk to those guys. Take a look at SONOS as well. The lesser amount of compression will be the better sound. Also, take a look at www.audiogon.com. You might find something that you like. If you don't see it right away, chances are that it will pop up in a few weeks. Here's something else that you might like: Bluesound Vault 2. Life is too short to not have good music. This is why we have Airstreams- life is short.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
OK, I'm impressed that Country Joe can be found. How about a more esoteric challenge, Reverend Billy C Wirtz? The Fugs?
Go to https://www.youtube.com and do a search on:
fugs
Billy C Wirtz

I bet you'll find cuts even you don't have.

With the right web add-in, you can quickly download the audio.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
Don't spend money on new gear such as a USB turntable. Spend it on downloading MP3 versions of the music you like to your phone or a dedicated MP3 player. Plug that via an aux cable into an existing stereo if yours has an aux input. If not, buy a portable speaker. Recharge both the MP3 player and the speaker either when you've got a generator running, in the tow vehicle when it is running, or off your solar array.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Ditto. We had a yard sale several years ago and I sold 200+/- LP’s. The buyers were predominantly college aged and they snapped them up like candy. I was happy and a little richer, they were ecstatic.

I have all the music I need at my fingertips now on any device I carry.

Old school recordings are fine and are said to have depth and character lacking in today’s digital recording world. Maybe true, but my ears don’t work as well as they use to so I will never know the difference.

YMMV

Regards,

Kevin
DITTODITTODITTO..

Play your vinyl at home where it belongs...most of my plastic that I really love I've been able to find on the interweb.

EXAMPLE.....click on "PFC" below.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_124a.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	302657   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_e40.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	302658  

Old 01-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I'll see your Boston, and raise you a Van Halen.

And if you or a friend are going to New Orleans, there is still a Peaches Records there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4219.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	302660  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

Converting vinyl to MP3 takes some time and money. BUT, maybe worth it, depending on how many tunes you are going to be converting. AND, there very well could be that some of your music, might not be available online.

Here are a couple of tips

1. The output on an old school turntable is unique. It's a magnetic analog out put. You either have to use an old stereo with a phono input, buy an interface preamp, or buy a USB turntable.

2. The built in analog to digital converter on your laptop is not the greatest quality.

3. The output of a CD player is an analog signal.

4. The input on a computer is also analog.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I'll see your Boston, and raise you a Van Halen.

And if you or a friend are going to New Orleans, there is still a Peaches Records there.
Hate it when that happens.

I'll call with the first album I bought for myself...Dave B. (What year was that again?)
And another that no ones ever heard of..

Bob

BTW..the best site for buying vinyl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1248.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	302665   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_273.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	302666  

Old 01-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
OK, now we’re getting interesting. So check these out:

Stan Street: Visual Artist, Gallery Owner, Musician, Songwriter- located in Clarksdale, MS
www.stanstreet.com

Ground Zero Blues Club, owned by Morgan Freeman, among others- located in Clarksdale, MS
www.groundzerobluesclub.com

Roberts Western World- located in Nashville
www.robertswesternworld.com

Also check out my Instagram page to see some related photos
coasttocoastphotoatl

And, watch The Resident this Sunday and Monday on Fox to see my Code Talker photo in the Resident’s loft.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Hate it when that happens.

I'll call with the first album I bought for myself...Dave B. (What year was that again?)
And another that no ones ever heard of..

Bob

BTW..the best site for buying vinyl
Thanks for fixing my photo. Much better.

Piggy Bank
Old 01-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Peaches? Yes, but do they still give/take stamps?
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Go to https://www.youtube.com and do a search on:
fugs
Billy C Wirtz

I bet you'll find cuts even you don't have.

With the right web add-in, you can quickly download the audio.

Greg
download freestudio from the web,then you can paste in the youtube link to their mp3 youtube converter and grab any music video on there and convert it to mp3 or wav file,store theses onyour computer or music player and you csn get tons of music at no cost, granted the quality is not likwe a blue ray but you will likely not notice that
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I have decades worth of reel to reel recordings beginning in the early 70's that I made myself, mostly at festivals and the like before the cassette era. Most are monaural, but so too were the sound systems they were recorded from. And of course lots of vinyl and cassettes, and lots of R2R made from nearly virgin vinyl (is there such a thing?). But my treasures are my R2R over the air FM stereo broadcasts of live performances. I have several broadcast from Electric Ladyland Studio in NYC, over WNEW. Larry Coryell, Chick Corea, Michael Urbaniak, and more. Can't find those performances ANYWHERE. For my field recordings, made on a small 3 inch Sony R2R, I find that playback on my AKAI R2R is sufficient using a direct cable from the headphone jack to the Mic input on my Dell. No need for special software, just launch MS Voice Recorder and use the simple editing functions therein. Easy Peasy.

I am still researching higher quality (higher sampling rate) software for converting my R2R archives of vinyl recordings (most made with audiophile equipment back in the day), as well as the live over the air broadcasts, as they retain the dynamic characteristics on the original analog recordings and live transmissions. Can't buy that stuff anymore, even the so called remastered stuff, and you sure as **** can't get through a satellite service. But the holy grail for me are pristine commercial releases of analog R2R recordings as they came out of the factory in the day. You just can't get any better than that. The Kinks never sounded so good!
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
So what are you going to do with all that vinyl? I have over 250 albums and need to get rid of them. But I don’t want to just trash them.
old 10s bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you have vintage vinyl to sell there is a market. You can sell yourself on Ebay/Etsy, or go to one of the vinyl resellers in most major cities.

Most of what we have was bought vintage in the last 2 years.

Piggy Bank
Old 01-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
I have decades worth of reel to reel recordings beginning in the early 70's that I made myself, mostly at festivals and the like before the cassette era. Most are monaural, but so too were the sound systems they were recorded from. And of course lots of vinyl and cassettes, and lots of R2R made from nearly virgin vinyl (is there such a thing?). But my treasures are my R2R over the air FM stereo broadcasts of live performances. I have several broadcast from Electric Ladyland Studio in NYC, over WNEW. Larry Coryell, Chick Corea, Michael Urbaniak, and more. Can't find those performances ANYWHERE. For my field recordings, made on a small 3 inch Sony R2R, I find that playback on my AKAI R2R is sufficient using a direct cable from the headphone jack to the Mic input on my Dell. No need for special software, just launch MS Voice Recorder and use the simple editing functions therein. Easy Peasy.

I am still researching higher quality (higher sampling rate) software for converting my R2R archives of vinyl recordings (most made with audiophile equipment back in the day), as well as the live over the air broadcasts, as they retain the dynamic characteristics on the original analog recordings and live transmissions. Can't buy that stuff anymore, even the so called remastered stuff, and you sure as **** can't get through a satellite service. But the holy grail for me are pristine commercial releases of analog R2R recordings as they came out of the factory in the day. You just can't get any better than that. The Kinks never sounded so good!

If you by chance are on community radio anywhere playing all of this can you private massage with the date/time. I love this kind of stuff.

Piggy Bank
Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Provided that you have a decent sounding stereo at home on which you currently play your LPs and cassettes; you can get a very reasonably priced WAV/MP3 recorder that will record your music as you play it. Mine automatically digitizes it in my chosen format and saves it on a SD card. From there, you can transfer it to your laptop, iPad, burn CDs, whatever. Cheap solution, good results.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #40

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
Provided that you have a decent sounding stereo at home on which you currently play your LPs and cassettes; you can get a very reasonably priced WAV/MP3 recorder that will record your music as you play it. Mine automatically digitizes it in my chosen format and saves it on a SD card. From there, you can transfer it to your laptop, iPad, burn CDs, whatever. Cheap solution, good results.
If you have a good sound system you will want to use FLAC or ogg file formats. Wav is a very big file format with very little loss of quality but the previous formats are better at compressing without or minimal loss of sound quality. MP3 is good for ear buds only.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote