Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Old skyliner TV antenna and roof vent question

My trailer is a 1979 31' center bath. When the TV antenna is lowered the rear end of it is right above the center roof vent. The back end of the antenna has a downward curved loop that nearly rests right on top of the vent lid. No problem as it is an original aluminum lid and won't be damaged.

Now I am thinking of replacing that old style light/vent combo unit with a modern translucent roof vent, with a new light fixture off to one side. Note I already installed a Fantastic Vent in my living room so no need for another one of those. My concern is the lowered TV antenna cracking or damaging a new plastic vent lid.

I've thought about inverting the loop on the antenna to give some extra clearance, as I assume that won't affect TV reception. I've also thought about raising or modifying the cradle that the antenna lowers onto, again for a few inches of extra space.

I know it will be impossible to have a new vent opened all the way and the antenna lowered, and I'll have to pay attention when operating either one. That aside I was wondering if anyone has changed out their center vent when they had such a conflict with the TV antenna, and how they resolved it.

Thanks,
Christopher

Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
My trailer is a 1979 31' center bath. When the TV antenna is lowered the rear end of it is right above the center roof vent. The back end of the antenna has a downward curved loop that nearly rests right on top of the vent lid. No problem as it is an original aluminum lid and won't be damaged.

Now I am thinking of replacing that old style light/vent combo unit with a modern translucent roof vent, with a new light fixture off to one side. Note I already installed a Fantastic Vent in my living room so no need for another one of those. My concern is the lowered TV antenna cracking or damaging a new plastic vent lid.

I've thought about inverting the loop on the antenna to give some extra clearance, as I assume that won't affect TV reception. I've also thought about raising or modifying the cradle that the antenna lowers onto, again for a few inches of extra space.

I know it will be impossible to have a new vent opened all the way and the antenna lowered, and I'll have to pay attention when operating either one. That aside I was wondering if anyone has changed out their center vent when they had such a conflict with the TV antenna, and how they resolved it.

Thanks,
Christopher
Raise the cradle, but no more than necessary, as the antenna is subjected to the wind passing over the trailer when in motion.

Andy

Old 02-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Skyliner Manual

Do you have the original cradle? Here is the antenna manual - drawing shown on Page 8.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tv_antenna.pdf (1.01 MB, 138 views)
Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I replaced my antenna with a batwing I installed it so it lowers about 5 degtrees off the center line and mostly clears the roof vent. No problem with getting blown around on the road.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Yeah, the cradle is original. To raise it I would most likely cut the vertical legs about halfway up, then with a pieces of flat aluminum stock and pop rivets I would splice it back together with a 1" (or whatever was needed) gap between the cut I made. Maybe have a 2" overlap of new aluminum/original cradle leg.

I have considered that when the time came to install a new antenna I would have the base rotated slightly as suggested. However, the old antenna still works great after I replaced the broken gears and wired it with new coax.

Christopher