Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Old skyliner antenna

I would like to run coax from my roof antenna to my TV. Were can I get a connector to go on the end of the coax that will fit my 1983 skyliner antenna? It has two connectors one on each side of the antenna for flat wire.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Tom,

When I replied to your last PM, I assumed that your Skyliner already had coax coming from it. Mine on the Excella did, the one on the older Trade Wind did not.

However, I dealt with this issue on the Trade Wind years ago. The adapters are still pretty easy to locate. I Googled "75 ohm to 300 ohm transformer" and got a lot of results. The outdoor one from Ace Hardware on Amazon is just like the one I used. I may have even gotten mine at Ace Hardware locally then. Being an outdoor version, designed to mount on the antenna itself, it includes a boot to cover the connection.

You can check WalMart, Ace, Home Depot, and Radio Shack and probably locate one locally. Be sure to get the outdoor version.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Lowe's also had them the last time I looked...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Thanks Vaughan I did not know what to ask for. I was at Lowe's last night and they had nothing Gary. At least here in okie land.I will check Ace and other places now that I know what to look for. I did manage to get the TV up and running Vaughan the way you said to do it. Thanks for your input. I have another question for you buddy. What does the two blue wires connected along with the flat antenna wire in the inside power supply box go to. Are they of any importance to the new setup? Do all the rest of the yellow and white wires go to the 12 volt system? Such as battery and so on. Man I got alto of questions. We are going to Montgomery in April with our unit. It will be our first trip with this trailer. We are really excited about it. Have a great day Vaughan.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Tom,

I am going off memory here, it was about 3 years ago that I had that off. The main thing I remember is that with all the cables, including the new coax connection I installed, the wedge-shaped cover/adapter (Braund product with the 2 prong TV connector and 12v outlet) was hard to get back in place. Lots of stiff cables to get in place and then install the screws. Long story short, I'm not taking it off to check.

If I remember correctly (Notice qualifier ), the Blue wires you describe are involved in the connection from the Skyliner to the radio, eliminating the need for a separate radio antenna. The Trade Wind has a seperate radio antenna mounted on the front on the street side. The '83 Excella uses the Skyliner, and works well.

The Yellow and White wires sound right for 12 volts. Do they go to the 12 volt (cigarette lighter style) outlet? I have yellow and white wires to the two ThinLites in the bedroom. I just replaced a ballast last weekend. I can also see the wires in the streetside bedroom closed by cracking open the wire wrap.

On the other hand, the light above the galley sink is connected with yellow and black. The light above the dinette, just across from the sink, is connected with red and white.

Moral of the story, check those wires with your multimeter. If you don't have one, Go Out and Get One Right Now! Don't do anything else first. You'll use it all the time. You don't have to spent a couple of hundred dollars or more on a Fluke brand. Thirty dollars more or less will get you a very nice Craftsman or equivalent.

Birmingham sounds liks a nice trip. Enjoy!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Sounds right Vaughan. I was thinking they might be of use for somthing. The radio has become a little noisy since I removed them. Also I agree there is a nest of wires in there.