Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
old fashion tv antenna

Where can one find a new old fashion rv crank antenna?
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Not from our rig! We still use it on every trip! (Actually,it's kind of fun to watch the faces of the folks in rigs around us when I go out to set up the wicked-looking thing.)

Lynn
Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Not original but kinda close.

eBay Motors: WINEGARD RV-7020 Dipole TV Antenna Trailer Camper LOOK! (item 190189723836 end time Mar-11-08 15:01:27 PDT)
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I plan to remove the TV antenna from my '77' Minuet this summer. You would be welcome to it when that happens. It does need the crank up gear replaced and some of the other plastic parts are badly aged. I camp to get away from the TV and phone and traffic and ...
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I don't know that they had 'crank up' antennas for the mid '60s and before. My '66 has the FOLD-UP kind as in my pictures. The picture showing it deployed does telescope up much higher. I was limited with the coach under the canopy. Nope, don't want to part with it. It works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream TV antenna 001.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	55601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream TV antenna 006.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	55602  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Crank-up Antenna

On our '74, we have a hand crank antenna and have recently found a source for parts. The antenna was made by Barker Mfg co. of Battle Creek originally, and the model was the Skyliner.

Rvshop.com has parts for it made by Braund and also by Barker. I am not sure if you could make an entire new assembly from parts they carry or not, but if you do happen to acquire an older unit, they carry a lot of parts. They have gears, legs, base casting, head and legs, drive shafts and handles.

Good luck with your search.
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You might try the scrap yards such as Colwell in MO. Otherwise, they show up occasionally on EBAY or you could post a wanted ad on this site or the VAC site for free. Sometimes you see them at a Region or International Rally. My 63 had a fold up antenna as original equipment. It sort of works, if we are close enough to a TV station.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
I don't know that they had 'crank up' antennas for the mid '60s and before. My '66 has the FOLD-UP kind as in my pictures. The picture showing it deployed does telescope up much higher. I was limited with the coach under the canopy. Nope, don't want to part with it. It works great.
My ’67 Trade Wind has an the same Braund crank up as my ’83 Excella. The Excella need new plastic gears, but they are readily available. Inexpensively, don’t fall for the ones for sale on the classifieds. I have a set, but am waiting till I rent scaffolding to replace my roof AC. I’ll replace the gears then.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Cool parts

if you find some parts let me know i need the screw gear on mine. Its got teeth missing and if i can just replace it that would bee nice.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow
if you find some parts let me know i need the screw gear on mine. Its got teeth missing and if i can just replace it that would bee nice.
Hi oslow,

What a good lookin’ Excella!

I got mine for RVshop (BRAUND GEAR KIT (Rnd. Leg) at RVShop.com) mainly because they differentiated between the square leg and round leg versions. I have the round leg versions. I have also found them at Vintage Trailer supply Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!, don’t know which version but they are very friendly people. Today I would call and ask them, but it was only a couple of dollars difference. They also have a very cool cap, see my Public Profile photo http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...eld-17830.html. Also a good source for other parts, such as Vulkem, etc… Also found some at Mark’s RV Marksrv.com rv antenna page, but they were outrageously expensive at $14.75.

The extremely expensive, $40+, ones for sale in the classifieds have disappeared, thank goodness.

This antenna works great for HDTV! I have a Dish HD DVR, but the Little Rock locals via Dish are not Hi Def. It will, however, record via the antenna. I get great locals using my Braund Skyliner, could not be any better.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Our Braund antenna is original and works quite well after replacing a worn bit of cable. Some METALWAX cleaned it right up, too.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Me, too!

Okay, I've decided I'd like to install one of the fold-up TV antennas that was original to my trailer. The problem is, of course, that I have ZERO parts associated with it. Nothing but patched holes in the skin where mine was ripped off by some PO.

If anyone has extra parts for this lying around somewhere, I'd love to take them off your hands.

I have a 1963 Overlander, and I guess it originally had a Braund fold-up antenna? I'm not even certain.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
try this:
RV Antenna - Winegard RV3090/RV7090 on Sale
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi DLB, thanks for the link, but I'm actually looking for a vintage one, an identical replacement for the one that was on my trailer when it was originally purchased in 1963.

Thanks,
-Marcus
Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hope you find some pics to work with. Here's where I'd start, FWIW.

TEL MAST
K1CRA Radio Store - Categories Telescoping Masts

This guy has a great site.

DENNY DUPLESSIS
TV Antenna Source Indoor/Outdoor TV Antennas - digital/HDTV

CEA/NAB
AntennaWeb

LAT/LON Station Search
Broadcast Television Station Search

FCC
Updated Maps of All Full-Service Digital Television Stations Authorized by the FCC

WINEGARD
Winegard Company Television Antennas, HDTV, Satellite, Mobile, DTV, Portable

CHANNEL MASTER
Channel Master

HAMS, The ARRL, and the rest tend to have long memories of unusual installations. I'd start with the manufacturers, Denny-D, and then ask around. Being a Texan I too appreciate the concern about wind.

As I also like having CB in both TV and TT, expect to have a cell amplifier/yagi, plus some other TX'ers/Rec'ers beyond AM/FM and satellite radio & TV, I'd want a plan from the beginning about wiring and interference.

Glad to see your interest in one of the high performance antennas.

Consider, also, that we used to see the 102" whips used as AM "longwire" antenna's way back when mounted on potbelly spring. With the VHF folded in front, and the 102" clipped down for travel it was always a sign of someone who'd done their homework and was looking forward to a nice camping trip with all the "modern" diversions.

102" WHIP/BALL MOUNT/SPRING
K1CRA Radio Store - Antenna: 102" Stainless Steel Whip Details

(also makes a great CB antenna)

Too bad that clear channel radio is gone. I really enjoyed listening to stations from all over the Central US, from Chicago to New Orleans (even XERF) as a kid in Dallas on a 9-tube early 1930's Zenith, and about a 100' of antenna wire made into a loop. The corporate crooks ruined it all. But, there are still some AM stations in smaller, remote markets good to listen unto. Gayland Stephens hometown has one . . . and we were listening to a Cowboys game on WOAI-San Antonio, 200+ miles east one Sunday, returning from Corpus Christi to Beaumont; a surprise.

And a typical Silver Streak AM/FM factory install on port bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	95246  
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for all the info, Rednax, you are thorough and informative as usual!

We get WOAI clear as a bell here in Austin of course.

You seem to know a lot about radio-- you might be interested to know that my Dad was GM for KOKE radio here in Austin for many years back in the late 60s/70s. You might say he was "country, when country was uncool."