Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #1

Raleigh , Arizona
No TV?

Brand new to forum and our 2017 Bambi Sport 16. Picked it up from the dealer a week ago and all good. Now the TV does not work. Green button at outlet is on so I have power. All connections behind TV are solid. I am concerned there is something loose behind the wall outlet since the hinge to rotate the TV is super tight so I wonder if I stressed a connection. Thoughts? DYI or drive 2 hours back to dealer?
rallyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
Does the television come on, or does it not pick up any local channels? If it does not come on, is the trailer plugged in to electricity? Is the power brick plugged in to the wall, and is the cord plugged in to the back of the television?
You're two hours from the dealer, did you perform a channel scan? You probably won't be able to receive any of the dealer's local channels from over a hundred miles away.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:49 AM   #3
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I understand you wanting everything to work but why not leave it off?
Get away from that idiot box while on your get-away.
Do something different. Read a book or draw or bird watch. Look for arrow heads or agates. Learn about the local flora and fauna.
The same insipid stuff will still be there when you get back home...
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
After paying 40k for a 16 foot trailer I would want the TV to work fauna and flora or not.
I have a nine year old and we spend a lot of nights together at a local state park in our 16. Watching TV those nights is a special treat as we do not do that at home.
Sorry I have no advice to offer on getting it to work.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
If you are on shore power and the bathroom GFI is tripped, you will not have power to TV
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
After paying 40k for a 16 foot trailer I would want the TV to work fauna and flora or not.
I have a nine year old and we spend a lot of nights together at a local state park in our 16. Watching TV those nights is a special treat as we do not do that at home.
Sorry I have no advice to offer on getting it to work.
I say kill your television.
You and your family will be closer, smarter and happier without it.
We don't own a tv. Haven't for many years.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
I say you sound like a snob and have no idea how close, happy or smart my family is.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
In that case, you're not really qualified to respond to a question about how to troubleshoot a non-working television.

To the OP: Can you provide more details on the problem as asked above? No power, no signal, etc.?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
I understand you wanting everything to work but why not leave it off?
Get away from that idiot box while on your get-away.
Do something different. Read a book or draw or bird watch. Look for arrow heads or agates. Learn about the local flora and fauna.
The same insipid stuff will still be there when you get back home...
Quote:
I am rather befuddled by this totally unhelpful and snobbish post.

OP, Welcome. You have been given some actual relevant advice.
AC power on? Either plugged in to shore power or inverter on if you have one installed. If that does not work I would give the dealership a call. They may be able to assist you over the phone.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Children, if you don't behave, I'm going to turn this forum around, and we're going home!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyd View Post
Brand new to forum and our 2017 Bambi Sport 16. Picked it up from the dealer a week ago and all good. Now the TV does not work. Green button at outlet is on so I have power. All connections behind TV are solid. I am concerned there is something loose behind the wall outlet since the hinge to rotate the TV is super tight so I wonder if I stressed a connection. Thoughts? DYI or drive 2 hours back to dealer?
Warm welcome to the forum.

That must be frustrating.

Couple ideas before you travel a long distance.

1) The "green button" at the outlet...is this possibly for the powered Antenna? This (on my coach) means the antenna amplifier is receiving power...not necessarily the TV

2) The TV itself...as was mentioned, does it turn on? Could you check the electrical outlet with a lamp or something to check it has power?

3) If the TV has power, and turns on, could you maybe select a different "source"? Sometimes a TV will blank out if no signal is being fed in. Check the remote for a "source" button, or maybe better, see if there is a "menu" button, just to see if the TV is working.

4) Lastly, maybe if all this works, and still no "signal", check and see if the remote control has a "channel scan" feature, to check for local channels (hint: the powered antenna (green light?) does need to be on to see any local (less than 40-50 miles?) channels.

Good luck, post back more info if you can and I hope it gets working soon.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:49 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Welcome...here is a easy troubleshoot. Pull the TV out and unplug the 120v from wall outlet.

Now get a had held 120v device that you know is working and plug it in to same wall outlet. Does the device work?

If so it's your TV...if not it's your trailer 120v outlet. As mentioned before...these outlets are maybe GFI protected. Try and find the GFI outlet and reset it.

If all else fails...call the factory and speak to a tech!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

I'm not an actor but I play one on TV.

I love TV. Actually took courses in television repair, when TVs weren't disposable uneconomically feasible to repair. Cosying up to a TV with loved ones, warms my heart.

For me,this is one of those problems that are difficult to dope out without being there.

From my twisted way of thinking, a broken TV could be the universes way of telling you to buy a guitar.( or mandolin )

Not judging but, a close friend once said…." I don't read books…rather, I live my life so people will want to write books about me." ( she is a pistol )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Handy outlet tester, $4 from Lowe's or Home Depot.
Plug it in and test the outlet, it also shows improper wiring.
It's a good tester to have in the "misc" drawer.

I got mine and discovered a power strip with hot and neutral reversed. How does that happen? Paid for itself in one usage.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Getting back to the question at hand.

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. The little green light where the television's coaxial cable plugs in to wall is to show whether the television is connected to the outside antenna or not. When the green light is on, the television is connected to the antenna on the roof for receiving broadcast television. When it is off, the television is set-up be connected to cable television. This indicator light has nothing to do with whether or not the television is receiving AC power to make it turn on.

As someone has already mentioned, make sure that your television is plugged into the AC outlet and that the out let is receiving power. Plug a lamp or something into it to see if it works. If not, the is probably a breaker tripped somewhere in the Airstream.

One other thing that may be going is that the television is plugged into an outlet powered by the power inverter, and that the power inverter is not turned on, if your Airstream is so equipped.

I hope that this helps. If, not, tell us more.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
It'd be nice if the op would come back and tell us what he found.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyd View Post

Although possible, I doubt connections behind plug are loose. Plug something else into outlet and you'll know. If power at outlet is good drop the tv from mount, pretty easy and check plug into tv and try again. That should let you know what you have.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #18
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I guess I upset some people.
Wasn't my intent.
For me a get away means wanting to do new or different things. So that's what I suggested as a 'fix' for a non functioning tv.
I guess that's not what people were looking for.
I do think that someday historians will look back for reasons this great republic failed. And television will top that list.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Is there a battery in the remote control.?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Is there a battery in the remote control.?

Good point.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote