Old 05-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

No OTA Network Channels

The Problem: We don't receive network channels (e.g. ABC, CBS, etc.) over-the-air even if we're camped in a major metro area. We do receive lots of old re-run channels such as Laff, MeTV, and Cozi TV.

A technician at our local A/S dealer told me this is the way the TV tuner is programmed, and that it's not a malfunction.

Background: The green amplifier light is lit when this situation occurs, and when the amplifier is disengaged we get no OTA channels of any type, so it doesn't seem like the problem (if there is one) lies there.

I will appreciate learning whether this is a malfunction that I can correct.

Thanks - Sam

ITowSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Have you done a channel scan. This needs to done every time you move to a new city.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. We do, indeed, do a channel scan every time we move to a new campground.
ITowSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Most likely, the "major networks" all have transmitters/towers that are too far away for your television and antenna to pick up. The low budget stations probably have transmitters in the low rent district, which is nearer to where you are camping.
This is a known issue with digital tv, and there really isn't any "fix" for it.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
My experience (2016 FC) is that we normally do get one or more of the major networks when we are anywhere near a larger city. Not always I guess, but more often than not.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Cozi TV is pretty good - reminds me when life was simple

We find no matter where we are, HSN, QVC, and KUBO seem to show up whether or not PBS and network TV do....

We stock up on DVDs. We don’t spend much of the day in the trailer, but there’s nothing like taking in an episode of Arrested Development or Columbo before heading to bed after a great day hiking and camping
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
It seems recently we've had to re-do the channel scan on "cable" and again on "antenna" setting on the tv to see which gets the most channels.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Our experience...

We installed the King OTA on the OEM arm.
We scan in quarter's and use the one that results in the highest number of stations.
Highest number has been home on the pad,(15mi from the city) 42. We have managed to get at least one Network any where we've tried.
Disclaimer...we don't watch a lot of TV in the AS. News, Weather and the occasional sports or Movie.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04430.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	342163  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:02 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Make sure your TV is set to "over the air" and not to "cable" when you do the scan. If it's not set to over the air, it will miss things. You may have to scan more than once to pick up marginal signals. Of course, since they are marginal, they are going to drop out on you, later on.

Everything you get will come in groups. You will get channel 38-1,38-2,38-3,38-4,38-5 ..... They are actually all one signal. You just have multiple feeds (1 to 5 ) on the one signal. It is pretty much certain that 4 of the 5 are basically junk. Some of the time, even the "main" will appear to be junk.

What this means, is that you can have 5 or 10 or 20 "channels" and only be getting 1, 2 or 3 stations. Of the 20 you get, there's only 3 good ones in the mix. That takes a lot of sorting.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Q1. Is your antenna directional (do you have to spin it around to get best reception) or is it omnidirectional?

Ours is directional, so I need to find out where the transmitters I care about are.
1. Google "HDTV Antenna Map" and pick either the Antennas Direct or the FCC website

( https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html ) -- has MyTV, etc as well as networks

( https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps ). seems to only have networks

At these sites, you enter your location, and it will tell you what's out there, in what direction, and rough expected signal quality at your location.

Once you know this, point your antenna, then run the Autoscan on your TV, being careful to pick "over the air" channels. These days, the channel number you tune on the TV does not have a direct relationship to the transmit frequency, that's why you must do a scan, so the TV finds the signals, and encoded in the signal is what "channel" the TV should show it on. (hope that wasn't too much in the weeds )

Good luck!
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
this is the site i use to point antenna

https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
Tablo

We installed a digital antenna at home, that provides local channels to a Tablo receiver (with an external hard drive for storage). That system provides wireless OTA to all smart TVs in the house, plus, we can access our home router while traveling and receive our home local channels where ever we have wifi access.

This has worked well for us on two cross country trips.

If local channels at the campsite are not available, we fire up the wifi using a Roku firestick on the trailer tv. We use a smart phone as a hot spot if the camp wifi cannot handle video streaming.

We can also access all of our recorded programs while traveling.

And the best feature - no cable required!! The only downside is burning through cellular data plans.
rhpeahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Our experience.

Our first airstream was a 2015 Sport 22, and had the older style antennae that you cranked up and spun around.

With that we got several channels most places we camped.

Our current airstream has the omnidirectional fixed antennae and we get hardly anything now, even at the same sites in the same campgrounds.

We finally got fed up and got a satellite Dish.

When researching that it seems that the omnidirectional antennae range is aprx 20 miles, vs the aprx 50 miles with the rise and spin antennae.

Dish seems to work well, but just like home, there's a whole lot of nothing on.

We do really like the music channels though.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg & Cambridge , Mississippi / New York
Something's cockeyed somewhere. We are presently camped in mountains on the NY/VT border an hour northeast of Albany/Schenectady/Troy, NY. I've pointed the antenna southeast towards the Capital District and am pulling 22 channels out of the air with good clarity - including NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and Fox as well as the shopping and several ME-TV type channels. I can get 19 channels from Jackson, Mississippi sitting 50 miles away in my driveway in Vicksburg. You should be getting the same...
Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg & Cambridge , Mississippi / New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
this is the site i use to point antenna

https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

Great site - thanks!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #16

Raleigh , North Carolina
There is an app called "TV Towers" that will help you point the antenna in the right direction. Might help
jrkahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Vonore , Tennessee
Antenna?

I have similar issues and I’m faulting the new roof antennas that are short and squat. Lots surround them to impede signal, it seems to me. I’d go back to the extending arm type in a heartbeat.
Laurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Not all citys have all major networks. Panama city Florida for example.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Yuma , Arizona
Make sure that the power to the antenna is turned on. The new antennas are really crap. The old style that you crank up and turn will out perform the new stuff. I put a new King on our MH and am putting the old one back on when we get back home this fall.

gcarter is offline   Reply With Quote