Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks SilverRanger. Ours came with speakers in the bedroom and salon as well and most likely I could intercept the wiring somewhere. I'll look into that one and maybe my owner's notebook will have some diagrams or wire color code information.

The wireless option is definitely interesting so I need to get on an internet search engine and see what I might learn. All this new technology is so interesting except the learning curve for we "Old Schoolers". Thanks.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Wireless speakers look like an easy enough modification from what I see. Just takes money.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Michelle & Family...

If you don't mind me asking - how hard and how did you snake those HDMI cables? Inquiring minds wanna know.

John
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
The Western Digital media players are attached to the tv w/ HDMI connections, and a hard drive is attached to the media players.

Essentially, there's no more need for DVDs in the trailer anymore. I digitized my entire library, and now have hundreds of movies at my fingertips. No more DVDs to get scratched, lost, and now we don't have to lug around all those discs.
Very nice set up. I am not familiar with the Western Digital media player but it sounds like something that is perfect for traveling in the Airstream. How do you add DVD moves/music to the hard drive. Thanks

Don
Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Michelle & Family...

If you don't mind me asking - how hard and how did you snake those HDMI cables? Inquiring minds wanna know.

John
Hi John,

The HDMI cables aren't snaked behind the wall. We looked at the setup prior to upgrading, and decided it wasn't worth it trying to run new cables behind the walls. So we worked with what we had - which is RCA composite cabling.

The RCA composite cables are hooked to the receiver deck at one end, and into the TV at the other end.

The Media Player box is connected to the TV via HDMI - so those cables only run from the media player box on the floating shelf to the TV below it.

In a perfect world, we could connect the system and get true HD picture and sound, but we figured this was the next best thing.

And boy oh boy... the sound. We put on The Matrix one evening (gotta love the driveway camping) and The Lord of the Rings the other night - and I think I need to adjust the bass a wee bit... I'm afraid rivets are going to start popping!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Very nice set up. I am not familiar with the Western Digital media player but it sounds like something that is perfect for traveling in the Airstream. How do you add DVD moves/music to the hard drive. Thanks

Don
Hi Don,

I use Xilisoft DVD ripper to rip my DVDs. I have an extensive DVD collection, and was really tired of dragging the discs around or forgetting to bring some into the trailer before a trip, etc... So while it takes a bit of time (I usually set it up in the evening and let it do its thing overnight) it's worth it.

However.... it's worth mentioning that I'm from Canada, and there are different laws w/r to digital media rights. From what I understand, it is essentially illegal for residents of the USA to make digital copies of DVDs - even if they own it, thanks to DMCA, or Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

However, I'm not a lawyer, nor an American citizen, so there may be better comments pertaining to this issue.

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
Hi Don,
From what I understand, it is essentially illegal for residents of the USA to make digital copies of DVDs - even if they own it, Cheers!
Yes I think that may be covered under the new Health Care reform law.

Don