Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Sarasota , Florida
Unhappy No 12 voltage at roof mounted antenna

While at an AS rally last Nov I wasn't receiving tv signal thru antenna. Unit members came to assistance. Connected my TV to another camper via long coax connected to his antenna, TV received signal. Short point of diagonisis is I am not gettting voltage to connection point at antenna .
Has anyone replaced the coax cable from the wall outlet thru the skin to the roof? What is involved?
The trailer is a 95 34' classic.

DavidSowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Of course it could be the cable, but I first would check the power supply system behind the antenna outlet with the switch on it. They are a cheaply made device and you are likely to find the problem there with a fuse, or broken connection to the wire which runs up to the antenna.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Before I tried replacing the coax, which would be a major PITA, IMHO, I'd double check there is 12 volts output from the antenna/cable switch when the button was pushed. There is a solid state devise in there that can go bad, and I would suspect it being bad before I would suspect the coax cable.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the power supply is putting 12 volts on the coax check the connection under the mounting plate on the roof. I have seen that connection on that end of the coax deteriorate. If so you may have enough cable at that point to replace the connecter.

It is not likely that the cable itself could go bad within the walls.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Sarasota , Florida
The power devise is ok, even replaced it with a new one a fellow AS'er had on hand. Has anyone tried to remove the antenna mounting plate from the "skin" on the roof? The large phillips head screws won't budge, the plate has been adhered with some fantastic sealant that appears to be impossible to "loosen". Also appears there is a backing plate underneath it that could dislodge from the underside of the skin/roof and be difficult to get to to refasten unless the interior liner is removed for access.
The damn thing used to work fine. I installed a Magic Jack antenna and was getting great reception.
Have removed some of the caulk that seals the coax penetration. It appears to have no room to move the coax due to an impingement between the roof skin and the mounting plate.
Thanks for your replies.
DavidSowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I pulled mine, but it won't be of much help to you. Mine was just screwed into the skin with sheet metal screws and the caulk was cracking. Pretty easy to remove. There was a connector just inside where the coax disappeared into the antenna base, but I don't know if it was original.

If you replaced the original antenna, a typical problem with short pieces of RG-6 and RG-59 cable is that the center connector will move inside the insulation. First thing to check is to be sure that the center connector is sticking out to at least as far as the edge of the screw ring. Be careful when you insert it into the antenna that you get it inserted into the female part of the connector on the antenna. I have had cables with this problem that have worked for months and then suddenly quit.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote

12 volt