Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Bozeman , Montana
New stereo/ Univolt ?

Got the new car stereo today. Sony single cd, tuner, w/ a front aux port. Put the speakers in Sun. Decided to go adjacent to the control panel instead of below. Used the spreaker covers that came w/ but hope to find something that blends in better. So, took stereo and elec tools out to the trailer and hooked up some temp connections to see whats what. I had pulled the control panel and seperated the original wiring harness. After looking at the wiring diagram, located the 12v + and - leads. Clipped my alligator clips to corresponding wires. Buzzzz was all I got. No lights or any sign of life from the stereo unit. Remembered I had the univolt plugged in and after unplugging shore power and reattaching wires she fired right up. Sounds great! but what gives w/ the 12v when attaced to shore power? Should I pull power off a different lead? We always boondock but would like to understand whats going on bfore making permanant connections. Also, was going to put another 12v outlet in line w/ the acc wire to charge the ipod or whatever. Any insight would be appreciated.
treeair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Old Univolts do not have filtered DC output. You will always need to have a battery in the system to filter the dirty DC output of the old univolts.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
You may be able to add a capacitor to your stereo to filter the dirty dc output of the univolt. Talk to you local stereo shop about the capacitor size best for the stereo you have. I should think if it is just the stereo and two speakers that a small one should do fine.
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Bozeman , Montana
Bought a 35amp, 1000microfarad capacitor on the advice of a car stereo tech. Installed pre stereo w/ one leed to + and one to -(series ?). No effect w/ same buzzing of head unit itself. For kicks, tried putting capacitor in line w/ + leed pre stereo (parallel ?) and it fired right up for a few minutes until capacitor went pop and fluid discharged. Fun science in the streamer. Glad I'm wearing safety goggles. Seriously, any of you EE's want to give a rudimentory lesson hear it would be greatly appreciated.
treeair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Just another reason to get rid of the Univolt and go with a modern converter. In addition to taking better care of the batteries, they have a clean 12 volt output.